Monaco F1 Grand Prix RACE thread

1998 craziness:

Sorry, not my cup of tea. I want to see them AVOID disaster. If you saw last night's Coke 600, I enjoyed Truex and Johnson's successful evasive maneuvers around Kez and Elliott far more than I would have liked seeing them caught up in the wreck. I'm glad Scott Dixon walked away from his I500 accident, but I keep marveling at Helio driving under Dixon's airborne car.

Sorry, not my cup of tea. I want to see them AVOID disaster. If you saw last night's Coke 600, I enjoyed Truex and Johnson's successful evasive maneuvers around Kez and Elliott far more than I would have liked seeing them caught up in the wreck. I'm glad Scott Dixon walked away from his I500 accident, but I keep marveling at Helio driving under Dixon's airborne car.

Not the crash, but the rest of the race in the conditions is what I was going after and the whole team rule debacle with Jordan I think was much more substantial.

2010 has some crashes, but it's not for everyone.

Singapore is probably one of the best street courses F1 has ever been at. Great racing every year.

Not the crash, but the rest of the race in the conditions is what I was going after and the whole team rule debacle with Jordan I think was much more substantial.

2010 has some crashes, but it's not for everyone.

Singapore is probably one of the best street courses F1 has ever been at. Great racing every year.
I'll take another look. I admit I quit after the first 30 seconds. I assumed a clip under 3 minutes in length would be mostly replays of the starting incident.

Two passes yesterday. Perez on Stroll on lap 34 and Ocon on Stroll on lap 61. That's the fewest at Monaco since 2007.

Congratulations to Mr. Stroll.

Thanks for that info. So Hamilton made no on-track passes? I knew most of it took place in the pits, but wow.

I'm an F1 fan and almost always find something to appreciate about it. When it's good, it's really f'ing good and is the pinnacle of auto racing. However, Monaco is objectively a very poor circuit for racing, and the current cars were a major step in the wrong direction that exacerbated existing problems.

Monte Carlo is gorgeous and I'd love to be there. As a TV event, I half-watched my recording of the race. Meh. There weren't even any interesting strategy plays possible to shake things up.

Other than Montreal, are any of those purpose-built race tracks?

I remembered this afternoon that my gripe necessarily with Monaco alone. I dislike street courses in general, regardless of the series - St. Pete, Detroit, Long Beach, etc. I hated Baltimore and Houston. Street courses seem to lack the passing opportunities of dedicated race courses, and the relative narrowness seems to increase cautions. I can admire the skills necessary to navigate a street course, but it's hard for drivers to display techniques when the field is under yellow..
Spa was mainly public road for a long time and still had a portion that used them up until several years ago. I think they built some bypasses. It's very much a dedicated road course now. The tracks that are all or partially street now are Melbourne, Sochi, Monaco, Montreal, Baku, and Marina Bay.

Thanks for that info. So Hamilton made no on-track passes? I knew most of it took place in the pits, but wow.

I'm an F1 fan and almost always find something to appreciate about it. When it's good, it's really f'ing good and is the pinnacle of auto racing. However, Monaco is objectively a very poor circuit for racing, and the current cars were a major step in the wrong direction that exacerbated existing problems.

Monte Carlo is gorgeous and I'd love to be there. As a TV event, I half-watched my recording of the race. Meh. There weren't even any interesting strategy plays possible to shake things up.
Yep, it was all setting good lap times down while others ahead pitted, much like how Vettel got around Kimi. I'm not sure he would've gotten around Sainz without a much longer race.

We're gonna need legitimate rain at Monaco one of these years to make a memorable one. It's been too long. I think it's been one full wet race in the last twenty years.

Yep, it was all setting good lap times down while others ahead pitted, much like how Vettel got around Kimi. I'm not sure he would've gotten around Sainz without a much longer race.

We're gonna need legitimate rain at Monaco one of these years to make a memorable one. It's been too long. I think it's been one full wet race in the last twenty years.

The race in 1984 comes to mind here

Back
Top Bottom