Monaco F1 Grand Prix RACE thread

The Monoco in-car camaras are my favorites. Always amazing

LOL at Leigh Diffy "... nothing eventuated."

Yeah, come to think of it, that pretty much sums up the entire event.

I've never liked street courses but I always watch Monaco. It is good to see competition from more than one team. I wish they would have covered more of Hamilton's move through the field - there is never much passing at street courses (I wish they'd cover more of the field in F1 - there might be good racing back there). I'm glad Haas did well.

I've never liked street courses but I always watch Monaco. It is good to see competition from more than one team. I wish they would have covered more of Hamilton's move through the field - there is never much passing at street courses (I wish they'd cover more of the field in F1 - there might be good racing back there). I'm glad Haas did well.

Singapore always puts on a great show.

Eh. Excluding Hamilton's climb, most of the passing was in the pits. Sorry, I still don't get the appeal.

Eh. Excluding Hamilton's climb, most of the passing was in the pits. Sorry, I still don't get the appeal.
As Nelson Piquet (Sr.) said, it's like riding a bike around your living room. It's more about appreciating the skill and treachery than anything else (besides the obvious glitz and glam stuff). Basically everywhere else has more to offer in terms of overtaking but most aren't nearly as interesting. That's why qualifying is so amazing to watch here.

Edit: And I admit I wandered off and put this on the small screen and watched the N24 ending mainly but that was an all-time classic.

The key word is 'Qualifying'. This isn't the first time I've been told what basically sounds like, "The qualifying is better than the race." If that's the case, why bother with the race at all? Run Q and call it a weekend.

Or did I miss your point? I'm not really sure how a 30-year-old lap is relevant.

Monaco is such a cool track. Not the most passing but it is insane how against the edge they are every lap, the margin for error is zero at that place

Couldn't have said it better

The key word is 'Qualifying'. This isn't the first time I've been told what basically sounds like, "The qualifying is better than the race." If that's the case, why bother with the race at all? Run Q and call it a weekend.

Or did I miss your point? I'm not really sure how a 30-year-old lap is relevant.

That video makes my heart rate go up ..... the sound of that car, the raw power and the skill of the guys that drove those beasts

Never mind the old man. He's bitter about Hamilton comparing himself with Ayrton Senna.

Never got over that apparently.

That video makes my heart rate go up ..... the sound of that car, the raw power and the skill of the guys that drove those beasts
Yeah, but there was only one other car on the circuit. I'll agree there's plenty of skill in the ****pit, but I wouldn't be entertained by 78 laps of what you posted.

If you held a race and nobody passed anyone, did you hold a race?

Yeah, but there was only one other car on the circuit. I'll agree there's plenty of skill in the ****pit, but I wouldn't be entertained by 78 laps of what you posted.

If you held a race and nobody passed anyone, did you hold a race?

Pretty sure Senna passed some cars back in those days ..... plenty of cars when he had a 55 second lead on 2nd place.

Pretty sure Senna passed some cars back in those days ..... plenty of cars when he had a 55 second lead on 2nd place.
So the only way to enjoy F1 is to set my watch back a couple-three decades? o_O Care to address the current on-track racing?

Well, I guess I can see where you're coming from, but that doesn't give me a reason to look at F1 in 2017.

I mean, there were still significant position changes during the race. Mainly due to strategy though.

What a boring race. Congrats to Vettel but they need to get rid of this track. It offers zero passing opportunities.

Two passes yesterday. Perez on Stroll on lap 34 and Ocon on Stroll on lap 61. That's the fewest at Monaco since 2007.

Congratulations to Mr. Stroll.

Two passes yesterday. Perez on Stroll on lap 34 and Ocon on Stroll on lap 61. That's the fewest at Monaco since 2007.

Congratulations to Mr. Stroll.

I'm hoping he performs well at home, IMHO there should be no reason why he should not be in the points the next three races. Montreal, Baku, and Austria suit the Williams.

Spa, Monza, Interlagos, Sepang, Red Bull Ring. Maybe Montreal too.
Other than Montreal, are any of those purpose-built race tracks?

I remembered this afternoon that my gripe necessarily with Monaco alone. I dislike street courses in general, regardless of the series - St. Pete, Detroit, Long Beach, etc. I hated Baltimore and Houston. Street courses seem to lack the passing opportunities of dedicated race courses, and the relative narrowness seems to increase cautions. I can admire the skills necessary to navigate a street course, but it's hard for drivers to display techniques when the field is under yellow..

Last edited:
History is nice to know after I've developed an appreciation for what's going on NOW, but it doesn't do much good if I don't enjoy the current product. Indeed, it's liable to be discouraging if what's available now doesn't match up. I could drive to Rockingham and gaze through the fence at my memories, but that won't put an entertaining race on the track.

"Yesterdays are over my shoulder, and I can't look backwards too long.
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong."
Jimmy Buffett - 'Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes'

Okay, why that one? Respectfully, don't include reasons like history or tradition. What does it have that makes for good racing?

Spa has history, but its not just that its a technical nightmare. Look at all three sectors, sector one after La Source going into Eau Rouge is a complete drag race. Then sector two is technical and twisty where drivers have lean on mechinical grip going through Les Combes into a braking zone going downhill in turns 10 and 11, be ready for Pauhon is where aerodynamics comes into play leaning on the hell out of the front right tire and flowing into Campus through Stavalot. The last sector is once again leaning on aerodynamics through Blanchimont into the chicane.

Plenty of overtaking opportunities, weather is a nightmare because of the track being in the Ardeene Forest, it can rain in one sector, be bone dry somewhere else, and be wet again! Rain is such a factor in the race, its a nightmare for teams and drivers. I recommend watching the 2010 race, it was a perfect example of the craziness of that track. Wet, dry, wet, dry conditions over and over again.

1998 craziness:

History is nice to know after I've developed an appreciation for what's going on NOW, but it doesn't do much good if I don't enjoy the current product. Indeed, it's liable to be discouraging if what's available now doesn't match up. I could drive to Rockingham and gaze through the fence at my memories, but that won't put an entertaining race on the track.

"Yesterdays are over my shoulder, and I can't look backwards too long.
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong."
Jimmy Buffett - 'Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes'

Heck ...... I remember the day when just the sound of an F-1 car was reason enough to tune in ........... those days are gone

Heck ...... I remember the day when just the sound of an F-1 car was reason enough to tune in ........... those days are gone
Sorry, but engine sounds have never had any appeal for me, regardless of series. If they all went quiet tomorrow, it would only enhance my appreciation for motorsports. I enjoy the skills, the strategy, the competition (side-by-side-by-side or occasional domination), but to me the hardware is just a necessary component supporting the others. (Maybe that's why I don't 'get' F1, which seems to emphasize the hardware over other aspects of competition? I may have the same problem with drag racing.)

Don't go looking for tar and feathers; I prefer to supply my own all-organic, hypoallergenic ones.

Sorry, but engine sounds have never had any appeal for me, regardless of series. If they all went quiet tomorrow, it would only enhance my appreciation for motorsports. I enjoy the skills, the strategy, the competition (side-by-side-by-side or occasional domination), but to me the hardware is just a necessary component supporting the others.

Don't go looking for tar and feathers; I prefer to supply my own all-organic, hypoallergenic ones.

I have roadkill sparrow feathers :booya:

... Plenty of overtaking opportunities, weather is a nightmare because of the track being in the Ardeene Forest, it can rain in one sector, be bone dry somewhere else, and be wet again! ...
I don't know squat about the Ardenne Forest other than a bit of WW2 history. Isn't that more a factor of size than location / terrain / topography? I've seen races from Road America or Pocono when it was raining at one end of the track and bone dry in another. Heck, I've seen numerous times in the deserts of the US southwest.

Those conditions do make for some interesting tire choices, and driver management thereof.

Back
Top Bottom