More Hornish Jr to NASCAR rumors

If Hornish goes to NASCAR, which team would you like to see him in?

• Hendrick Motorsports

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dale Earnhardt, Inc.

• Richard Childress Racing

• Penske Racing

• Roush Racing

• Chip Gannassi Racing

• Joe Gibbs Racing

• Other

• Total voters
H

Happy29

From Jayski.com

Decision time is nearing for Sam Hornish Jr. as the two-time defending IRL champ determines the direction of his racing career. Hornish could stay at Pennzoil Panther Racing if his agent, John Caponigro, is able to increase his salary with the team. Or he could end up at Penske Racing, where one official admitted "anyone would be crazy not to consider Sam Hornish Jr." as a driver, depending on the type of sponsorship. And for the first time in months, Hornish actually is discussing the possibility of competing in NASCAR. "NASCAR is an option. It's definitely possible," he admitted. "I don't have any room to say anything further. Whatever my decision is in the end, it's going to be what is the best opportunity for me and my best opportunity to win. There are people within the IRL that I have talked to and there are people outside of Indy car racing that I've talked to. I'm not at liberty to say who I have talked to and who I haven't." DEI president Ty Norris said last month he did not think Hornish's heart was in a stock car career and that the driver wanted to remain in open-wheel racing. Norris had a plan of running Hornish on a limited Busch series schedule and a few Winston Cup races this season with a full-time shot at the elite series when it becomes the Nextel Cup in 2004. "I want to be in the biggest series. I want to be in the series that gets the most attention and has all the best drivers because you don't want to be a big fish in a small pond," Hornish said. "But the IRL continues to grow. NASCAR is the biggest right now, but that doesn't mean the IRL can't grow and be the biggest right now."(ESPN/Sportsticker)(7-8-2003)

I'm not surprised if Hornish Jr. decides to go to NASCAR with all the problems his team in IRL is going through and their horrible title defense. If he does go to NASCAR, judging from what he said, he'd want to be in the best team in the elite series (Nextel) despite the fact that he has little to none experience in a stock car.

I would like to see him go to a team that is struggling. :)

Originally posted by ward22@Jul 8 2003, 03:42 PM
Like the 1 car?

Originally posted by DirtyMo1381529+Jul 8 2003, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DirtyMo1381529 @ Jul 8 2003, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ward22@Jul 8 2003, 03:42 PM
Like the 1 car? [/b][/quote]
I forgot about the 1 team, that might be good, but dont they have a guy to drive it next year?

There's lots of rumors out that he will sign with Penske for his IRL team; I doubt it will happen since he already has DeFerran and Helio. But maybe the confusion is that it will be for Penske South. Things that may you go hmmmm. I think either Rusty is done or Penske South will become a three car team next year.

Originally posted by ward22+Jul 8 2003, 04:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ward22 @ Jul 8 2003, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -DirtyMo1381529@Jul 8 2003, 01:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--ward22
@Jul 8 2003, 03:42 PM

Like the 1 car?
I forgot about the 1 team, that might be good, but dont they have a guy to drive it next year? [/b][/quote]
I'm pretty sure that they don't. Jeff Green is only signed until the end of the season I think. There have been rumors that Riggs is in the car, which i hope is true.

Hornish would be a good driver maybe in the #30, the #25 or the #1. Lots of NASCAR teams will be scrambling for him, because he's young and successful. Tony Stewart, Robby Gordon and Ryan Newman have seen lots of success as former open wheelers, most NASCAR teams think that Hornish might do the same.

Sam has said he is more interested in winning the Indy 500 than going into NASCAR.

Panther Racing & all the Chevys have been struggling this year. They did ask Ford Cosworth for help, but I'm wondering if anything has come out of it?

The partnership of Cosworth and Chevy should yeild some results by the end of this month. I'm not expecting they will be showing their tail pipes to the rest of the field but they should be competive with Honda and Toyota.

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Jul 8 2003, 06:21 PM
Sam has said he is more interested in winning the Indy 500 than going into NASCAR.

Panther Racing & all the Chevys have been struggling this year. They did ask Ford Cosworth for help, but I'm wondering if anything has come out of it?
With Hornish Jr's not so stellar performance this year and as long as Penske Racing is around in IRL, I doubt that Hornish will even come close to winning the 500.

Originally posted by Happy29+Jul 8 2003, 07:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Happy29 @ Jul 8 2003, 07:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Jul 8 2003, 06:21 PM
Sam has said he is more interested in winning the Indy 500 than going into NASCAR.&nbsp;

Panther Racing & all the Chevys have been struggling this year.&nbsp; They did ask Ford Cosworth for help, but I'm wondering if anything has come out of it?
With Hornish Jr's not so stellar performance this year and as long as Penske Racing is around in IRL, I doubt that Hornish will even come close to winning the 500. [/b][/quote]
Anything can happen. Paul Tracy thought he won it last year. :unsure:

I think he will go with Penske, if he makes a move. There's been rumors that Gil may not drive much longer, and the fact he's been injured the last 2 seasons certainly would have to make those kinda believable. Roger's a Indy guy, and Rusty doesn't have too many years left in the tank,so if he goes to cup, I see it being with Penske. And Roger may say he won't expand, but if he could get someone with the talent of Hornish, I think he'd change his mind in a second. The history Penske has at Indy could also be a factor that convinces him to go there. If he went to DEI, he wouldn't be top dog, and I'm not sure he could handle that. But for all this speculation, if Chevy improves their engine program there's a good chance he'll stay right where he's at.

Just let it be a ford and i dont care who, roush turns down every good driver

Originally posted by Mustang@Jul 9 2003, 12:23 AM
Just let it be a ford and i dont care who, roush turns down every good driver
You have to be kidding me...Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, Kurt Busch, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, and this is just the CUP series.

Back
Top Bottom