More Short Tracks

I thought the schedule contracts are up in 2020, so everything might be renegotiated You’ve posted with me, you know I don’t deal with fan fiction
The TV contract run's thru 2024, and I think everything else is tied in with that(minus the title sponsor of course), I think that is what is holding up any major schedule changes

The TV contract run's thru 2024, and I think everything else is tied in with that, I think that is what is holding up any major schedule changes
Oh whoops I thought it was 2020. Good if that’s the case even more time to get some of these places ready.

For the record a 3/4 mile or 1 mike track ISN’T a short track.

Iowa's actually 7/8th's mile, lol. I just don't really see NASCAR going to any of those REAL short tracks anytime soon, maybe they'll surprise us when the contracts are up?

Oh whoops I thought it was 2020. Good if that’s the case even more time to get some of these places ready.

Sure , anything is possible with the right amount of money, I am not getting my hopes that it will.

Sure , anything is possible with the right amount of money, I am not getting my hopes that it will.
I’m with you there. Zero expectations, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get some of those tracks back.

After a great race at Bristol, this thread is as predictable as the sun rise tomorrow, LOL. I'll just repeat what I posted earlier in the pre-race thread...

I know many disagree with me, but six short track races is about at my limit of what I can appreciate for Cup racing. At six races, they are a welcome divertissement in the schedule, a throwback to the Early Nascar Era. If there were more, I'd find them tiresome and a dilution of the series. When they have just one viable groove, my appreciation becomes even shorter. I applaud the efforts to produce two grooves at Bristol... hope that works tonight [and very glad to see that it did work.]

I realize many people crave the beating and banging and wrecking of short track racing. To me, that part seems a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, especially when there is only a single groove.

Reactions: sdj
After a great race at Bristol, this thread is as predictable as the sun rise tomorrow, LOL. I'll just repeat what I posted earlier in the pre-race thread...

I know many disagree with me, but six short track races is about at my limit of what I can appreciate for Cup racing. At six races, they are a welcome divertissement in the schedule, a throwback to the Early Nascar Era. If there were more, I'd find them tiresome and a dilution of the series. When they have just one viable groove, my appreciation becomes even shorter. I applaud the efforts to produce two grooves at Bristol... hope that works tonight [and very glad to see that it did work.]

I realize many people crave the beating and banging and wrecking of short track racing. To me, that part seems a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, especially when there is only a single groove.
More cookie cutters or plate tracks for you?
You may get your wish with whatever crap plate package is coming next year.
Be careful what you wish for.

It’s why an Eldora/Iowa combo would be so welcome. Iowa is a short track for this series, 725 HP cars like these on anything less than a mile is gonna race like a short track

It’s why an Eldora/Iowa combo would be so welcome. Iowa is a short track for this series, 725 HP cars like these on anything less than a mile is gonna race like a short track

I think Iowa and Eldora have a place on the schedule. Kern County looks great, but it's in Bakersfield which is sandwiched between LVMS and Fontana.

I wouldn't mind another short track race but I'd be cautious about large scale changes. Cookie cutter tracks were built when some of the best racing was at Charlotte. Over the years the technology of the cars has changed and that has changed the racing at tracks. There was a time I hated Bristol because it was a one lane track where drivers had to push a car out of the way to pass and that caused way too many caution laps. Adjusting the track to get two lanes improved the racing at Bristol. Maybe adjusting the banking at tracks might improve racing.

Short tracks are cool and fun and all but I doubt more of them would make much of a difference. It's not like the three we have now have been exempt from the same attendance and viewership declines almost every other track has experienced.

Short tracks are cool and fun and all but I doubt more of them would make much of a difference. It's not like the three we have now have been exempt from the same attendance and viewership declines almost every other track has experienced.
I have to ask...how do you get those logos down at the bottom of your posts????

Most of the passes on short tracks come from lapped cars being in the way, some could say it isn't "real" racing. It's fantasy land to think Nascar is going to abandon the larger tracks. It isn't the direction Nascar is moving so there should be plenty to complain about in the future. If the Roval even half way works I could see more of them in the crystal ball possibly, most of the larger tracks have something in place already to have that. BTW they have a pretty good 24 hour race at Daytona, but compared to both of the plate races they have I can't see that happening, but on the 1.5's maybe so.

Most of the passes on short tracks come from lapped cars being in the way, some could say it isn't "real" racing. It's fantasy land to think Nascar is going to abandon the larger tracks. It isn't the direction Nascar is moving so there should be plenty to complain about in the future. If the Roval even half way works I could see more of them in the crystal ball possibly, most of the larger tracks have something in place already to have that. BTW they have a pretty good 24 hour race at Daytona, but compared to both of the plate races they have I can't see that happening, but on the 1.5's maybe so.
for those who want a little preview of what itd be like if Cup raced the Daytona Roval, watch the IROC race there I think its 07 maybe? Its on Youtube, fun race. Id actually be all for doing the July race on the Roval, at this point theres little to no tradition left anyways. Mind as well jump all the way into the deep end, the Daytona Roval is fun.

Chase was right. We need more, there’s 2 short tracks in North Carolina waiting to be used. One in South Boston. One in Myrtle Beach. IRP. Let’s start there

Myrtle Beach is dang near dilapidated it would need about 6 million in renovations needs a full repave, soft walls, only half the stands are within the sound system's range and a ramp easement is needed directly to and from US 31. Carteret County 150 miles northeast is effing beautiful! And the owner has spared NO EXPENSE.

Myrtle Beach is dang near dilapidated it would need about 6 million in renovations needs a full repave, soft walls, only half the stands are within the sound system's range and a ramp easement is needed directly to and from US 31. Carteret County 150 miles northeast is effing beautiful! And the owner has spared NO EXPENSE.
Myrtle Beach needed physical maintenance when I was there for its last Busch race. I've been there once since but have no reason to think they've spent the money required. Even then the road in and out was a nightmare. The traffic flow on US 501 and SC 31 have been changed since to facilitate the tourist traffic to the beach, and I couldn't see how to get in the last time I was drove by.

Reactions: sky

Very true. Martinsville is the best race on the schedule anymore (Just IMO) and it's attendance has nosedived.

However, 30-50,000 seats full at Iowa and Eldora would look a hell of a lot better than some of these tracks.

I see no reason why the Cup Series (Xfinity doesn't need to be at the dirt) is not at at least ONE dirt track each season considering quite a few racers have came up through dirt ranks.

I like a good short track race as good as anybody, but, you go sit 1/2 way between turn 4 exit and the entrance to pit road in one one of the bottom 5 rows at Atlanta for a race and then tell me what ya think. As I stated, I like short tracks, but, I like SPEED and raw horsepower more and watching these drivers manhandle a race car that is on the edge of out of control 98% of the time at corner entry speeds of 180 to 219 MPH for 500 miles is what big time NASCAR Racing is about, this ain't Late Model racing.;)

I was there and it was the best race of the year and it was 1/2 full after a great Spring race. More short tracks is not the answer. Not sure what it is...if there is one.

I posted this several months ago on another topic, and I think it is a compromise that might address some fan and driver preferences.

This is entirely hypothetical and has absolutely no chance of becoming reality, but this is what I would like to see for NASCAR‘s premier series when this supposed schedule revolution could take place in 2021. I am a huge advocate of a schedule that does not visit tracks more than once, that has some (but not all) shorter races, and that limits the series to 30 races (+2 non-points events). I think an exception to the one race per track rule should be made for 3 tracks: Charlotte so they can have a race on the Roval, and the 2 restrictor plate tracks so they can still have 4 of them. Here goes:

Date/Track/Distance (miles unless noted)
2/21 Daytona Clash (non-points)
2/28 Daytona 500
3/14 California 300
3/21 Las Vegas 400
3/28 Circuit Of The Americas 90 laps
4/4 OFF Easter
4/11 Rockingham 300
4/18 Atlanta 300
4/25 Talladega 500
5/2 Martinsville 500 laps
5/8 Kentucky 300 (Night Race)
5/16 Dover 300
5/23 Charlotte All Star Race (non-points)
5/30 Charlotte 600 (Night Race)
6/10 Iowa 300 laps (Thursday Night Thunder)
6/20 Pocono 400
6/27 Sonoma 110 laps
7/4 Daytona 400 (Night Race)
7/15 Gateway 300 (Thursday Night Thunder)
7/25 Michigan 400
8/1 Watkins Glen 90 laps
8/8 Chicago 300
8/19 Bristol 500 laps (Thursday Night Thunder)

Chase Round of 16
8/29 New Hampshire 300
9/5 Darlington 500 (Sunday Night)
9/12 Indianapolis 400

Chase Round of 12
9/19 Richmond 400 laps (Saturday Night)
9/25 Kansas 300
10/3 Talladega 400

Chase Round of 8
10/17 Charlotte Roval 100 laps
10/24 Texas 400
10/31 Phoenix 300

Chase Championship 4
11/7 Homestead 400

This schedule allows for a little more time off over the course of the season, and adds 3 mid-week events. The summer Daytona race would move back to the tradition of always being on July 4th, which happens to fall on a Sunday in 2021. The race at COTA will be held on the 2.3 mile “National Circuit” course. It also attempts to avoid running many races in the same area back-to-back weeks. The “Thursday Night Thunder” races would feature 3 events, 1 each month during the summer held at a short track or intermediate track on a Thursday night. Maybe some kind of bonus could be offered for winning those races.

Track Breakdown:
2 Quad-Oval/Tri-Oval 2.5 mile speedway races
4 Super Speedway/restrictor plate races
4 Road course races
4 Short track (less than 1 mile) races
6 Intermediate track (1 mile-less than 1.5 mile) races
10 1.5-2 mile speedway races

I posted this several months ago on another topic, and I think it is a compromise that might address some fan and driver preferences.

This is entirely hypothetical and has absolutely no chance of becoming reality, but this is what I would like to see for NASCAR‘s premier series when this supposed schedule revolution could take place in 2021. I am a huge advocate of a schedule that does not visit tracks more than once, that has some (but not all) shorter races, and that limits the series to 30 races (+2 non-points events). I think an exception to the one race per track rule should be made for 3 tracks: Charlotte so they can have a race on the Roval, and the 2 restrictor plate tracks so they can still have 4 of them. Here goes:

2/28 Daytona 500
3/14 California 300
3/21 Las Vegas 400
4/4 OFF Easter
4/11 Rockingham 300
4/18 Atlanta 300
4/25 Talladega 500
5/16 Dover 300
6/20 Pocono 400
6/27 Sonoma 110 laps
7/25 Michigan 400
8/1 Watkins Glen 90 laps
8/8 Chicago 300

Chase Round of 16
8/29 New Hampshire 300
9/12 Indianapolis 400

Chase Round of 12
9/25 Kansas 300
10/3 Talladega 400

Chase Round of 8
10/24 Texas 400
10/31 Phoenix 300

Chase Championship 4
11/7 Homestead 400

This schedule allows for a little more time off over the course of the season, and adds 3 mid-week events. The summer Daytona race would move back to the tradition of always being on July 4th, which happens to fall on a Sunday in 2021. The race at COTA will be held on the 2.3 mile “National Circuit” course. It also attempts to avoid running many races in the same area back-to-back weeks. The “Thursday Night Thunder” races would feature 3 events, 1 each month during the summer held at a short track or intermediate track on a Thursday night. Maybe some kind of bonus could be offered for winning those races.

Track Breakdown:
4 Road course races
Martinsville is the last place you'd want to take a date from. Axe Indy from the schedule completely and put Martinsville back in the playoffs. I also don't want to ever see races shortened again. I like my NASCAR is large amounts lol.

2/28 Daytona 500
3/14 California 300
3/21 Las Vegas 400
4/4 OFF Easter
4/11 Rockingham 300
4/18 Atlanta 300
4/25 Talladega 500
5/16 Dover 300
6/20 Pocono 400
6/27 Sonoma 110 laps
7/25 Michigan 400
8/1 Watkins Glen 90 laps
8/8 Chicago 300

Chase Round of 16
8/29 New Hampshire 300
9/12 Indianapolis 400

Chase Round of 12
9/25 Kansas 300
10/3 Talladega 400

Chase Round of 8
10/24 Texas 400
10/31 Phoenix 300

Chase Championship 4
11/7 Homestead 400

Track Breakdown:
4 Road course races
Go to IRP instead of the big track in Indy, give Martinsville back its second date, and carpet bomb Kentucky. Then you have a schedule I would love to see.

Ideally:

- Winston Cup Style Season (no playoffs or Chase system).
- Race Winner gets 50 points, 2nd place 39, 3rd place 38, on down to 1 point. (race winner gets most points no matter what, still an emphasis on winning the race)
- Stage system remains - top 5 in each stage get points, stage cautions get kept as quickie yellows.
- Charter system gets axed, provisional system somehow gets put back in place.
- Victory lane gets moved to front stretch at the end of races.
- Eldora, Iowa and/or Gateway get moved onto the schedule eventually, must do IMO. Would like to see a real road course instead of the Charlotte Roval, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Martinsville is the last place you'd want to take a date from. Axe Indy from the schedule completely and put Martinsville back in the playoffs. I also don't want to ever see races shortened again. I like my NASCAR is large amounts lol.

Go to IRP instead of the big track in Indy, give Martinsville back its second date, and carpet bomb Kentucky. Then you have a schedule I would love to see.
I agree with both of you about Martinsville, and IRP would have a much better race than IMS. IRP is about 45 minutes away from me and it is one of the few pavement tracks I am willing to go to. My proposed schedule would look very different if it was made up of races that I want to see. I was mostly trying to stick to the 1 race per track idea while also remaining realistic about possible changes/additions. Rockingham and COTA are probably not very realistic, and Gateway/Iowa are unlikely to happen either. I just feel like those are tracks that could host a cup series event. IRP unfortunately could not with all of the seating they have removed. North Wilkesboro is another that I would love to see, but isn’t very realistic in its current condition.

Whatever the case, Carteret county speedway needs a k&n date along with the whelen modified tour. Everything else probably won't happen because of the greed of isc & smi

Jeff Burton: Adding short tracks is not the right question

Burton believes historic tracks like North Carolina Motor Speedway (Rockingham) and North Wilkesboro Speedway lost their dates because of poor attendance.

“Rockingham wasn’t exactly full when we left,” Burton said. “There were a lot of empty seats in the grandstands. … Let’s don’t reinvent history and say these places were packed and the fans loved it, because fans were not going there and they were packing Chicago and Kansas and Texas.

“Let’s don’t confuse history and say the sport left those tracks. Those tracks had a role – and the fans had a role in not showing up.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...dding-short-tracks-is-not-the-right-question/

Jeff Burton: Adding short tracks is not the right question

Burton believes historic tracks like North Carolina Motor Speedway (Rockingham) and North Wilkesboro Speedway lost their dates because of poor attendance.

“Rockingham wasn’t exactly full when we left,” Burton said. “There were a lot of empty seats in the grandstands. … Let’s don’t reinvent history and say these places were packed and the fans loved it, because fans were not going there and they were packing Chicago and Kansas and Texas.

“Let’s don’t confuse history and say the sport left those tracks. Those tracks had a role – and the fans had a role in not showing up.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...dding-short-tracks-is-not-the-right-question/
Did you mean to post the same thing in 2 threads?

Give Martinsville and Bristol a third date and visit IRP twice.

Back
Top Bottom