More Tracks Under The Lights

P

pettyfan4life

* More Lit Up Tracks? It islikely that NASCAR officials will address the likelihood that more tracks will be encouraged to add lights to their facilities to provide more flexibility in setting the starting times for races, particularly those in the season's second half. NASCAR is considering later starts to allow the finishes of some races to extend into the late afternoon and early evening hours in an effort to further boost television ratings.(ThatsRacin.com)(1-21-2003)

hum??
Dega?
Darlinton?
Atlanta(already has lights but no night cup race)
Pocono?
Kansas?
Lowe's( both races night)?
The Rock?

I say the more night races the better. NASCAR should be having tracks add the safer wall befor they add tracks.

There has been a rumor going around the last few years that Dover will be getting lights. It is always great to see a night race.

The problem with adding more night races to the Winston Cup schedule is that NASCAR sanctions somewhere around 100 weekly tracks, most of which run on Saturday night. By moving Winston Cup to Saturday night they are cutting the throats of the very tracks which have brought them to the position which they enjoy today.
Every one of their star drivers started their careers on those Saturday night short tracks and a large portion of the fans started watching racing at those same Saturday night bullrings. Or at least the older fans did.
Now NASCAR wants to cut the crowds by putting their big show on television in direct competition to the folks who made them rich and famous. This at a time when the short tracks are barely breaking even, if that.
Nice move there NASCAR. Real nice move. Great way to treat your business partners; all those little promoters, racers, and die-hard fans who have brought you to the big time.
Yep, real nice, smart move.

Of course Saturday night on prime time would bring in a whole lot more dollars, I guess. And those promoters and racers can always find some other way to spend their weekends.
Golf, or maybe just go fishin'.

Why not a Nascar double header,Differant local track every week,Followed by cup race?Not every week,but blended in thru the year.;)

boB, I agree with you completely. This is also going the way of baseball...night games. What track will be the Wrigley Field of NASCAR? Here's a fact at this household, local racing has priority over NASCAR, including the Winston. If our local track race at the same time as the Daytona 500, I'd have to tape the race.

I hope they make some more night races...It seems sometimes to be more exciting in the night.

hey, for those really hot days, the night races will be a relief for drivers and fans alike.

Well I guess you can't stick 100 lbs of Taters in a 50 lbs bag.Its anyones guess as to how many night races we will get.;)

I agree with Bob on the night race thing, but i go to my local track when the Richmond or Bristol race is on a sat. night. I figure i can always watch the highlights and read about it, support of the local guys and real live racing is what we love.

I never stay home and watch a cup race on T.V. When the Modifieds running on our local tracks. Last year a friend offer me two free tickets to the Winston. I no thanks I'm going to Bowman- Gray & have a hassle free good time.
Joe

Actually I believe a majority of the races will still fall on a Sunday. To begin later and end in the early evening hours on a Sunday is what the objective is. You see, Sunday evenings is when the most people watch TV in America. $$$$$$$$$

In addition I think the bigger picture here is the revamp of the schedule. Taking races away from the older tracks and giving dates to places such as Cali, Kansas, and Texas. Give Dover lights but taketh away a race to give to its sister track in St Louis. Hmmmm. Could get interesting!

Originally posted by N2racin88
In addition I think the bigger picture here is the revamp of the schedule.  Taking races away from the older tracks and giving dates to places such as Cali, Kansas, and Texas.  Give Dover  lights but taketh away a race to give to its sister track in St Louis.  Hmmmm.  Could get interesting!
Now your talkin............N2racin88!
Beer's to ya!

:beerchug: but mine would have to be filled with either Coke or Chocolate Milk since I do not drink. :p

You got ! ............... deit coke or 1% milk...........lol! j/k!:D

I like the idea of running more races at night. The drivers and fans seem to get into the racing and the whole enviroment alot more. Plus, them being on Saturday nights, I might be able to actually go to a race...

Hey the more night races the better I say, I read an article on the nascar.com web sight that said there will be some major changes starting with the 2004 season, including making the season opener Daytona 500 a night race like the one in July. I'll try to post the article here so you all can read it for your-self, pretty interesting reading stuff in there.

I like the idea that the bud shootout is under the lights this year. Sound be a lot funner.

NASCAR hints at major schedule shakeup
By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive January 21, 2003
5:45 PM EST (2245 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- To ensure they don't outgrow their britches but continue to offer the most bang for the buck, NASCAR has devised a 2004 schedule realignment plan that could result in some tracks -- prolific ones, at that -- losing coveted Winston Cup dates.

Bill France Credit: AP

During a state-of-the-sport demonstration by NASCAR senior vice president George Pyne on Tuesday, Pyne vaguely inferred that NASCAR would soon take a proactive approach in realigning the schedule to accommodate supply and demand and geographic distribution of Winston Cup dates.

When clarification was requested later in the interview, NASCAR chairman Bill France rose from his seat to clarify the tracks at risk -- Atlanta Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway, Darlington Raceway and North Carolina Speedway.

"There's four good candidates: Atlanta, a race here at Charlotte, Darlington and Rockingham," said France, who appears in good health after a multi-year battle with cancer.

Mike Helton

"We're going to work in concert with (the tracks). If they don't want to do it, they don't have to do it. This is not a threat at all, but at the same time, we've got to continue to grow the sport."

Under what France termed 'Realignment 2004 and Beyond,' NASCAR will work with track operators to determine whether shifting race dates from one venue to another would be prudent for both the sport and the track's parent company.

For example, Speedway Motorsports, Inc. -- the company that owns Atlanta, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Sears Point, Bristol and Texas -- might opt to move a date from Atlanta to Texas.

Texas has long pleaded with NASCAR for a second date - -- so much so that the feud has escalated to the point of SMI filing suit against NASCAR - -- and Atlanta rarely sells out its spring event and is often victimized by inclement weather.

"This is going to be available to every track operator," Bill France said. "If Dover would like to take one of their races and shift it to St. Louis or Nashville, or if Humpy and Bruton would like to take an Atlanta race and shift it to Texas where they'll sell all their tickets -- from what I read -- we're going to be entertaining that."

Schedule probably won't be lengthened to make room

Could Atlanta Motor Speedway sacrifice one of its race dates to grant Texas a second date? Credit: Autostock
NASCAR president Mike Helton added that lengthening an already marathonish schedule is not part of NASCAR's plan at this time. The Winston Cup Series currently competes 38 times in a 41-week window.

"The schedule is pretty well maxed out. If it's not, it's pretty close to it," Helton said. "We've been fortunate to be able to grow over the past several years, getting into new market areas like Kansas City, Las Vegas, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Chicago and Miami. Those opportunities don't exist anymore.

"We have 38 weekends we're racing in a 41-week window. So the idea here is make more efficient use of that, working along without abandoning past practices of putting the schedule together."

Not only are some tracks in danger of losing races, but some may be forced to install lighting in order to keep them. NASCAR is also looking at changing the start times to many of its events to best maximize television viewership.

"The playoffs in the NFL are enjoying an eight percent increase in ratings because of the later start times. They're two hours later," France said. "So, obviously, there are more (television) sets on the later the day goes. So it stands to reason you'll have more viewers."

Helton even said that running the Daytona 500 under the lights wasn't out of the question.

"The broadcast partners today is a significant partner to us, so we have to start making decisions that's relative to their involvement," Helton said. "And it could be a primetime Daytona 500 some day, sure. We just want to make more efficient use of our schedule."

I hope that by posting this article is all right with you Paul.
:)

Daytona 500 night race? Could be a little crisp temperature-wise when they run it.

Back
Top Bottom