MotoGP 2018 Season Looks To Be Epic (as always)

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
Round 1 (Qatar) has commenced. After Friday practice, Ducati and Suzuki hold the top five spots, but Honda and Yamaha are well in the mix.

Top 10: Dovi, Petrucci, Rins!, Lorenzo, Iannone, Marquez, Pedrosa, Crutchlow, Rossi, Zarco.

Also, Rossi's new contract for 2019-20 was announced...

Valentino Rossi Signs On For Two More Years At Yamaha, Will Race Through 2020
Valetnino Rossi will race for two more years with the Movistar Yamaha team in MotoGP. At Qatar, Yamaha announced that they had signed a new deal with the 39-year-old Italian which will see him racing through 2020.

The only surprise about the announcement is that it took so long to announce. Rumors of Rossi's imminent signing had been doing the rounds of the paddock since the Sepang test, but it took until the eve of the 2018 season to make the new contract public.

What is interesting in the press release is that the language Rossi uses gives absolutely no hint of a possible retirement at the end of 2020. The tone of Rossi's quote suggests he will keep on racing for as long as he is competitive. So far, he shows no signs of slowing down.

Rossi's new contract brings the total of signed riders to 7 for the 2019 season. Rossi and Maverick Viñales will keep the Movistar Yamaha team unchanged, Marc Marquez will stay at Repsol Honda, Cal Crutchlow still has a contract with LCR Honda, as does Xavier Simeon at Avintia and Franco Morbidelli at Marc VDS, while Pecco Bagnaia will be making the move up to MotoGP in 2019 with Pramac Ducati.

The press release announcing Rossi's contract extension is below...
( Link )

I loved watching MotoGP. I hate that BeIN Sports got the exclusive TV rights. Since I can't get that channel, my choices are to either spend $170 on a streaming season pass or to not watch it. Guess I'll be missing another season. :mad:

That's nice. Lorenzo in the top 10? I'll take it.

I had to quit watching last year because he couldn't muster up even good finishes.

I loved watching MotoGP. I hate that BeIN Sports got the exclusive TV rights. Since I can't get that channel, my choices are to either spend $170 on a streaming season pass or to not watch it. Guess I'll be missing another season. :mad:

Sorry to hear that bro ...... I am lucky enough to get that channel but I pay a huge fee for cable

That's nice. Lorenzo in the top 10? I'll take it.

I had to quit watching last year because he couldn't muster up even good finishes.

He will continue to improve ........ might even muster a win or two this season ................... I hope

Seemed like a good race with a lot of intrigue up front and jockeying for position among the top 5 throughout. I guess Zarco had a front tire problem that led to his precipitous fall after leading most of the race.

An excellent Qatar race, considering the low grip on offer, IMO. I'm not a fan of the circuit, but this was a hard-fought affair from flag to flag. I was amazed that every rider choose the soft rear tire. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Most used the medium front, but the two Repsol Honda guys used hard fronts for better stability and handling under braking.
I guess Zarco had a front tire problem that led to his precipitous fall after leading most of the race.
Yes. He actually claimed a defective tire, and said his Michelin tech confirmed that. (BTW, it would not be Zarco's character to claim that unless he believed it, and Michelin does have a history of occasional problems with consistency.)

From David Emmett at Motomatters.com ....

From that point on, Zarco was finished, and dropped through the field like a stone. Not because he started going so much more slowly – the Frenchman kept doing low 1'56s, the pace he had been lapping at for a few laps – but because the rest of the field found a sudden burst of speed. Dovizioso, Márquez, Valentino Rossi, Cal Crutchlow, Danilo Petrucci all suddenly started slamming in low 1'55s, gapping the Frenchman in the space of a couple of laps.

Afterwards, Zarco revealed that he had been hampered by a problem with his front tire. "I wanted to keep fighting for the rest, but with this front tire problem, I could not fight and then from this moment five laps to the end, I had to accept to take what I can," the Frenchman explained. "I got the best I could, I did what I could do, and when I have a technician from Michelin and also on my team saying that something has been wrong, it means that OK, the rider's job is done..."

Looks like the riders are just starting where they left off last year. Dovi vs Marquez is going down again!

Round 2 proceedings have commenced at Argentina's Autodromo Termas de Rio Hondo, which is a fabulous circuit for motorcycle racing... one of the very greatest venues on the planet. Fast and flowing, Rio Hondo is a true test of skill and bravery. In an era when newly built roadracing circuits generally fail to deliver the goods, this is probably the #1 exception to the rule. Rio Hondo stands alongside Brno at the very top of the heap, where Spa Francorchamps used to be but sadly no longer remains. Just my opinion of course.

circuito_2015.jpg

Alas, more drama in the paddock, courtesy of Jorge Lorenzo. LOL...

Lorenzo accuses Dovizioso of trying to "undermine" him
Three-time MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo has accused his Ducati teammate Andrea Dovizioso of trying to intentionally “undermine” his morale, both currently and throughout their respective careers.

Lorenzo, who enjoyed a famously difficult relationship with his previous teammate Valentino Rossi at Yamaha, is currently in his second year alongside Dovizioso at Ducati – with both their deals up for renewal at the end of 2018.

The Spanish rider's comments regarding his teammate come a day after Dovizioso pointed the finger at Ducati when asked about the delay in extending his contract – and also claimed he would not be surprised if Lorenzo departed the Italian manufacturer.

"Dovi is very intelligent, isn't he?," Lorenzo said sarcastically in an interview with Movistar TV. "He basically knows everything. Dovi has always, during my whole career, tried to undermine my morale. And he's still doing it...."

Last edited:
If anything should undermine the three-time world champion's morale, the fact that he is getting his ass handed to him by a man who, before last year, was not even seen as a title contender certainly should undermine his morale.

If anything should undermine the three-time world champion's morale, the fact that he is getting his ass handed to him by a man who, before last year, was not even seen as a title contender certainly should undermine his morale.

I think that Lorenzo might be a bit tough to work with ! its kinda sad to see him struggle at Ducati

I think that Lorenzo might be a bit tough to work with ! its kinda sad to see him struggle at Ducati
Of course he is. Jorge Lorenzo's spats and controversies with team-mates ought to tell you something. It is sad to see him struggle at Ducati, but he's making it no easier on himself with his nonsense.

Of course he is. Jorge Lorenzo's spats and controversies with team-mates ought to tell you something. It is sad to see him struggle at Ducati, but he's making it no easier on himself with his nonsense.

I can't figure why he is even at Ducati with the resume that he has ! put him on the 26 and watch the fur fly. He won't be there long anyway, Ducati is expecting results

I can't figure why he is even at Ducati with the resume that he has ! put him on the 26 and watch the fur fly. He won't be there long anyway, Ducati is expecting results
If I recall correctly, it was partly his choice to join Ducati.

Oh dear. I'm not sure I like the idea of CVC becoming involved with MotoGP again. Under the guidance of CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta, MotoGP has been the world's best managed racing series, in my opinion. He has been masterful in balancing competition, technical regs, OEM needs, and commercial development. The article notes Ezpeleta is expected to remain, but I'd worry about CVC's propensity to suck out as much short-term money as possible, without regard for the long-term future.

CVC revs up for return to MotoGP

CVC Capital Partners, the former owner of Formula One, is among a group of financial institutions chasing a deal to take control of MotoGP, the international motorcycle racing series.

The Luxembourg-based private equity group is considering a deal to buy a significant stake in Dorna, a Spanish sports management company that has the exclusive rights to promote and manage MotoGP, the motorcycling equivalent of F1, according to multiple people with knowledge of its intentions. The deal could make CVC the largest shareholder in MotoGP’s parent and mark a return to a sport it has previously controlled. In 2006, CVC sold its stake in Dorna to rival private equity firm Bridgepoint for about €500m. Market insiders expect a new deal would value the Madrid-based sports company at well over €1bn in enterprise value. ( Much more... link to Financial Times article )

Oh dear. I'm not sure I like the idea of CVC becoming involved with MotoGP again. Under the guidance of CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta, MotoGP has been the world's best managed racing series, in my opinion. He has been masterful in balancing competition, technical regs, OEM needs, and commercial development. The article notes Ezpeleta is expected to remain, but I'd worry about CVC's propensity to suck out as much short-term money as possible, without regard for the long-term future.

CVC revs up for return to MotoGP

CVC Capital Partners, the former owner of Formula One, is among a group of financial institutions chasing a deal to take control of MotoGP, the international motorcycle racing series.

The Luxembourg-based private equity group is considering a deal to buy a significant stake in Dorna, a Spanish sports management company that has the exclusive rights to promote and manage MotoGP, the motorcycling equivalent of F1, according to multiple people with knowledge of its intentions. The deal could make CVC the largest shareholder in MotoGP’s parent and mark a return to a sport it has previously controlled. In 2006, CVC sold its stake in Dorna to rival private equity firm Bridgepoint for about €500m. Market insiders expect a new deal would value the Madrid-based sports company at well over €1bn in enterprise value. ( Much more... link to Financial Times article )

Gosh I hope they don't screw up a good thing !

MotoGP is one motor racing series that is actually riding a positive trajectory in terms of popularity, competition, balance, and entertainment. Leave it be!

MotoGP is one motor racing series that is actually riding a positive trajectory in terms of popularity, competition, balance, and entertainment. Leave it be!

Yep ...... no bells and whistles or gimmicks, just good hard racing. they commonly draw crowds of 100 thousand or more

The historical pattern - that COTA is the most boring race of the year - seems to be on track to repeat again in 2018. The racers all love visiting Texas and partaking of the city-wide festival that Austin spawns for the race weekend, but the COTA circuit itself is loathed by just about all of 'em. Laguna Seca has severe shortcomings as a MotoGP venue, but I prefer it to COTA for sure.

The historical pattern - that COTA is the most boring race of the year - seems to be on track to repeat again in 2018. The racers all love visiting Texas and partaking of the city-wide festival that Austin spawns for the race weekend, but the COTA circuit itself is loathed by just about all of 'em. Laguna Seca has severe shortcomings as a MotoGP venue, but I prefer it to COTA for sure.

I will probably never watch it again ... unless the 93 retires

Lorenzo's career is on life support. He needs a top ride immediately.

Lorenzo's career is on life support. He needs a top ride immediately.
You're kidding, right? Lorenzo has a top ride. Arguably, the top ride. He needs to do something with it.

You're kidding, right? Lorenzo has a top ride. Arguably, the top ride. He needs to do something with it.

LOL seriously?

Jorge is a top caliber driver. Surely, a rider of his caliber wouldn't be dwelling in the low 15s and tail end if he had an actual fast bike.

Where do you think he pulled 3 championships and 44 wins from? Luck?

You need a fast vehicle to complement your atributes in all forms of motorsports.

LOL seriously?

Jorge is a top caliber driver. Surely, a rider of his caliber wouldn't be dwelling in the low 15s and tail end if he had an actual fast bike.
Seriously, I wonder if you are delusional. Andrea Dovizioso won seven times last year on the exact same bike that Lorenzo rode, and already has a win on the 2018 edition. Jack Miller won on a year-old version. Danilo Petrucci has scored quite a few front row starts and podium finishes. Jorge hasn't gotten the job done, but his bike is plenty fast, arguably the best bike on the grid in 2017, and very likely in 2018 as well.

LOL seriously?

Where do you think he pulled 3 championships and 44 wins from? Luck?

You need a fast vehicle to complement your atributes in all forms of motorsports.

Jorge hasn't done well on the Ducati, for whatever reason. Maybe its an attitude thing or something else.

Seriously, I wonder if you are delusional. Andrea Dovizioso won seven times last year on the exact same bike that Lorenzo rode, and already has a win on the 2018 edition. Jack Miller won on a year-old version. Danilo Petrucci has scored quite a few front row starts and podium finishes. Jorge hasn't gotten the job done, but his bike is plenty fast, arguably the best bike on the grid in 2017, and very likely in 2018 as well.

LOL

Going straight to personal insults when you have no grounds for argument. Stats and skills dont lie, guy.

BUt hey, you're the know it all board guy. :idunno:

Wasn't Millers only Moto-Gp win on a Honda in 2016 at Assen ?

Wasn't Millers only Moto-Gp win on a Honda in 2016 at Assen ?
Oops, I might have gotten that wrong. If I did, mea culpa, my bad. The salient fact is that the Ducati GP17 was very competitive, and Lorenzo's teammate won a bunch of races on it. I don't pretend to know why Lorenzo has been lost for several years, but blaming Ducati for 2017-18 makes no sense.

Oops, I might have gotten that wrong. If I did, mea culpa, my bad. The salient fact is that the Ducati GP17 was very competitive, and Lorenzo's teammate won a bunch of races on it. I don't pretend to know why Lorenzo has been lost for several years, but blaming Ducati for 2017-18 makes no sense.

It has always seemed like only a chosen few can be competitive on the Ducati, but I agree that the machine seems to be capable. I would enjoy seeing Marquez on one for a season

Yeah, Gi Gi Dall'Igna has been a Godsend for Ducati. He changed everything about how Ducati Corse works. Everything EXCEPT the flow of Marlboro money flowing in.

Lorenzo knocks em out in Italy !!! Ducati has found something ................. there was a lot of fuel tank kissing going on

@Reck Lorenzo pulled off his first win on the Ducati !!! Looked like the Lorenzo of old ....... smooth as silk. Problems with the bike might be solved at last

Back
Top Bottom