Moving to new server

fury

Internet god with an inferiority complex
Staff member
Within the next day or two, I will be moving the site to a new server. Well, new to you...I've had the server up and running for over a year and a half and kept meaning to move all of my sites to it, and kept dragging my feet.

This should (in theory) be as painless to you as possible, aside from a bit of down time. You may experience a hiccup or two as things move over, especially if I can't get the old server to automatically redirect to the new one. In the event this happens, you should try closing all your browser windows and/or rebooting your computer to get it to update to the new location. (At the appropriate time, command-line-inclined users can probably just do a quick ipconfig /flushdns or something like that)

I don't yet have a solid window of time in which this will happen, but it'll probably be the wee hours of the morning EDT, as I'm in Louisville, KY and I go to school in the mornings and work til the evenings.

When it's nearing the time, I'll update the notice up top and give advance warning (~ an hour or two). Hold onto your posts if you're working on one.

When it's time, the site will be down (~ an hour or two)

When it's done, either the site will be back up like nothing ever happened, or there will be a notice posted at the old server to rejigger your flux combobulators until you don't see that message anymore.

You will NOT need to update bookmarks--this will hopefully be a seamless move

Ideally, you won't have to do anything. If you do, it'll be maybe rebooting once or running a command, so that your computer can find the new server.

Any questions or concerns?

:beerbang:

good. love that the site wants to upgrade

Thanks! I'm moving virtual servers between physical hosts myself this weekend. I hope your work goes smoothly!

Within the next day or two, I will be moving the site to a new server. Well, new to you...I've had the server up and running for over a year and a half and kept meaning to move all of my sites to it, and kept dragging my feet.

This should (in theory) be as painless to you as possible, aside from a bit of down time. You may experience a hiccup or two as things move over, especially if I can't get the old server to automatically redirect to the new one. In the event this happens, you should try closing all your browser windows and/or rebooting your computer to get it to update to the new location. (At the appropriate time, command-line-inclined users can probably just do a quick ipconfig /flushdns or something like that)

I don't yet have a solid window of time in which this will happen, but it'll probably be the wee hours of the morning EDT, as I'm in Louisville, KY and I go to school in the mornings and work til the evenings.

When it's nearing the time, I'll update the notice up top and give advance warning (~ an hour or two). Hold onto your posts if you're working on one.

When it's time, the site will be down (~ an hour or two)

When it's done, either the site will be back up like nothing ever happened, or there will be a notice posted at the old server to rejigger your flux combobulators until you don't see that message anymore.

You will NOT need to update bookmarks--this will hopefully be a seamless move

Ideally, you won't have to do anything. If you do, it'll be maybe rebooting once or running a command, so that your computer can find the new server.

Any questions or concerns?

:beerbang:

Reply Does this mean that the newest posts will be first instead of last?:) I hope so.:p

All good as long as it doesn't screw with my flux combobulator. :)

So is the name of the site changing? If not the new address should be automatic so I don't see the point of posting this.

Back
Top Bottom