Ms Renshaw gets her chance

H

HardScrabble

Good shot for her, hope she is ready to make the best of it.

DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Promising newcomer Deborah Renshaw has signed a NASCAR Busch Series deal for 2003 with Team Bristol Motorsports owner Rick Goodwin. Renshaw will replace Kevin Grubb, who will drive a full Winston Cup program for the team next season.

Renshaw, 25, will drive the No. 54 Chevrolet next season and, after a planned extensive test program, may run a race at the end of this season.

Grubb, 24, who missed an attempt to make his Winston Cup debut in May at Richmond International Raceway, will move to Winston Cup for a full program with sponsor Toys "R" Us and crew chief Tony Lambert.

Goodwin is interviewing crew chief candidates for Renshaw's team.

Thanks HS, I was wondering about Grubb and Toy’s R US relationship. That team has steadily improved this year and is capable of winning. I think Kevin needs another year in Busch with that team but I hope they do well. As for Deborah….It’s probably too soon for her to drive full time in Busch but I’m psyched! I’m looking forward to following her and other qualified female drivers as they get opportunities with quality teams in NASCAR.

great!!!! i hope her and fisher can battle it out to see whos the best women!!!! (my moneys on fisher though) and if shawna comes down to busch then it will be 3 women. WOW!!!! has there ever been 3 women at a time?

:alien: That's cool Renshaw get her chance in Busch thanks to Mr. Day. and Day blew his chance of ever being in the big league. Stupid is as stupid does.

That's great that she is getting the chance to driver in BGN. I really hope she does well. Are they building their own engines or are they receiving some kind of backing from Hendrick or someone?

HS, isn't she the same one that you posted a story about a few months ago.....she was racing at a local track in TN and all the guys filed a protest ??? I sure as heck hope it is, cause if it is.....whewwwwwwwww weeeeeeeeeeee what sweet justice that would be!! LOL, "the good 'ol boys" still at the local track in TN and her in a BGN car.......

Yep, same young lady.

She had attracted some attention prior to the protest conspiracy by being the points leader of the series run at Nashville. The first story I posted about her (on another board) was back in May when she was leading the ponts.

The deal with the protest though garnered her far more attention which spread much wider. In an ironic twist the drivers who combined their money to file the protest provided much of the impetus to get her a ride this year in some ARCA events. All of this combined to help bring her to the attention of more folks and now she has this opportunity.

Another ironic twist is that the ringleader of the protesting drivers was just a few weeks ago found to be running an illegal fuel at the Nashville track during a mandatory post race inspection. He was stripped of the win and points.

Well, she sure gets my vote for prettiest lady I've ever seen in a race car.:D

"Another ironic twist is that the ringleader of the protesting drivers was just a few weeks ago found to be running an illegal fuel at the Nashville track during a mandatory post race inspection. He was stripped of the win and points."

I think I remember reading a post about that. LOL, looks like justice has been served ten-fold on this guy!! As far as her pic goes..... Alot of men do have a problem getting beat by a woman, but I've notived that if she's attractive, it bothers them that much more..... hehe, bet she had his whitey tighties in a wad, and not just from the racing stand point <insert Pbunch's av here>

Thanks for the pic 71,
If more drivers looked like that us guys could start picking our cutest driver too. Hehehe I might just start liking this racing stuff. (dem, I must be off Paul's meds)

I never really understood what happened to her in the first place. Could somebody explain it to me.

She was driving a local short track running 2nd in points I think. One of the guys got spun by her early on and ever since he had been looking for way to get to her. Besides, she was closing in on the championship and he didn't seem to like that or god only knows.

Anyways, he got up enuf money from to pay to have her motor torn down, and it hit the wire-services.

I didn't know you could actually do that. That is too bad that people have to do that.

This should be interesting. Deborah sure showed those Nashville idiots!:D

HS, please dig into your archives and let me know what ever happened to Patty Moise (AND where is her hubby Elton).
PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Former Busch Series driver Patty Moise gained the acceptance and respect of her male competitors, starting 133 Busch races in her career, Moise sits in Chesapeake, Va., today in premature retirement from driving.

She's still surrounded by plenty of horsepower, but in a different fashion: instead of four wheels, Moise's preferred form of transportation these days has four hooves. She has traded her seat inside a stock car for a saddle and horse, becoming quite the horsewoman. At least she doesn't need to worry about sponsorships with a horse -- it's happy with oats, brushing and some plain old TLC.

At 41, Moise should still be racing. She wasn't just a good female racer, she was a good racer first and foremost, regardless of gender. But when her Busch sponsorship dried up following the 1998 season, one in which she drove the No. 14 Rhodes Ford entry owned by eventual 2001 Daytona 500 winner and Winston Cup veteran Michael Waltrip, Moise was forced off the track and into retirement -- permanently in both cases.

With the success she had enjoyed, she easily had another five to 10 years of competition left in her. But when it came time for sponsorship money to talk, silence was all Moise heard as corporate doors were slammed in her face, one after another.
It's no wonder the Jacksonville, Fla., native has spent much of the time since she was forced into stock car racing exile turning down almost all media requests for interviews. She'd rather tell reporters to talk with husband Elton Sawyer -- whose own Busch and Winston Cup career is on hold after last season, when he lost his full-time ride -- than talk about herself.

I can understand that. It has to be excruciatingly painful for Moise to recall the good times in her career without thinking about what might have been if she was able to find some company in corporate America to help her continue her racing exploits and efforts. Instead of Robinson, perhaps people would be talking about Moise in Winston Cup today if things had worked out differently.

It's not like Moise was not a good representative. In fact, she was an outstanding pitchwoman. Some of her greatest notoriety came in the early-to-mid '90s when she drove a race car that carried the attention-grabbing theme of Xena, The Warrior Princess.

In fact, that paint scheme still is in huge demand on the collectibles circuit, particularly die cast replicas of some of the cars Moise drove in her career.

Moise also had an affinity at times in her career for eye-catching pink vehicles, much like the first lady of drag racing, Shirley Muldowney. But while color was the initial lure, it was Moise's and Muldowney's driving ability that showed they weren't just women's lib-ers trying to make a political or gender statement.
The fact Moise was around the Busch Series for so long made it easier for her to be considered one of the boys, no pun intended. When her fellow competitors saw her, they were looking at another racer who wanted to beat them to the checkered flag, not just a female.

"I've been around so long, I don't know if (being a female driver) has a huge impact anymore," Moise said in an interview six years ago.

While other people would invariably make an issue of it, like many of her other female racing peers, Moise never paid much attention to her gender on the racetrack. She was a racer first; being female was nothing more than an afterthought.
"I never really looked at it from that point of view since I always see myself as a race-car driver, not as a woman driving a car," she said several years ago. "(The Busch Series) is so competitive that my concerns (were) more about how my car is working as opposed to if I am the only woman competing."

One of the most under-recognized and under-publicized accomplishments of Moise's career -- yet perhaps one of the greatest feats ever achieved in motorsports -- is something that not one current or former male Winston Cup driver can lay claim to.

When fans, reporters and drivers think about the fastest lap ever turned in NASCAR history, most are likely to say Bill Elliott's blistering 212.809 mph effort at Talladega Superspeedway in 1987, a speed that hastened the introduction of speed- and horsepower-robbing restrictor plates into Winston Cup racing.
But Awesome Bill from Dawsonville's mark isn't the be-all and end-all of speeds. While Elliott perhaps may not like to admit it, he begrudgingly will likely forever play second fiddle to another driver -- a female driver, no less, when it comes to being the fastest of the fast. Yes, Patty Moise holds the all-time speed mark on any level of NASCAR racing when she shattered Elliott's mark 2½-years later by nearly 5 mph with a solo single lap clocking of 217.498 mph around the 2.66-mile Talladega layout on Jan. 23, 1990.

However, Elliott's speed still is listed as "official" in Winston Cup annals because it came during qualifying for the Talladega 500, whereas Moise's blast was on a closed course, without any other drivers around. To this day, the hot pink machine that she made history in remains proudly on display at the Talladega Superspeedway Museum.

As one of only six women to ever race on the Busch Series, and being the most successful and holding the longest tenure, Moise had other noteworthy achievements in her career, including being the first woman to lead a Busch event (Road Atlanta, 1987), the first woman to win a Busch qualifying race (Talladega, 1988), and the best Busch finish for a woman (seventh at Talladega, 1995). She also earned two consecutive pole positions in ARCA races at Daytona in 1989 and 1990.

And, prior to Robinson coming upon the scene last season, Moise was the last woman to compete in a Winston Cup race (Talladega, July 1989), as well as being the last woman to finish an entire Cup race (Watkins Glen, 1988).

But all that was then, and this is now. After more than 15 years as a race- car driver, lack of sponsorship not only brought her career to a premature close, it left Moise to become virtually nothing more than a "Where are they now?" question in racing annals.

In a sense, Moise forecast her Busch Series departure in a newspaper story shortly before the end of the 1998 season, her last as a driver.

"Until there are more of us, I think sponsors still look at us as something different," Moise said. "And you have to realize that it's just more than driving a car. With these companies, you better understand how to accomplish what their marketing needs are.

"I've only been me. In any other workplace dominated by men, whether you're a driver or a vice president in a corporation, there are always going to be some men who cause you problems. The more women that enter this sport, the better -- so we don't live life under the magnifying glass."

Yet, despite the abrupt end to her career, Moise had her humorous side to the whole gender and equality issue. Ever since she made her debut on the Busch circuit in 1986, Moise was constantly barraged by the same question: "How does it feel to be a female racer?"

She grew so tired that she came up with a response that usually stopped the quote-hungry scribes -- mostly male, for that matter -- in their tracks.

"I gave up trying to figure that one out, but I've got a stock answer for it. I say, 'As opposed to when I used to be a man?' " Moise said.

The not so funny thing about that, however, is Patty Moise probably would still be racing today if, indeed, she was a man. That's perhaps the saddest statement of all, because this was a woman who proved she could beat any man at his own game.

Thank you HS, I've searched to the best of my ability as an internet dummy and found nothing but race results.

I hope the new ladies in Nascar fare as well. PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

As an aside, I have (in my job with AT&T) spoken with both Shirley Muldowney and Janet Guthrie as well as Jeremy Mayfield's dad.

Other noteables or relatives too, but not Nascar related.

Originally posted by kat2220
As an aside, I have (in my job with AT&T) spoken with both Shirley Muldowney and Janet Guthrie as well as Jeremy Mayfield's dad.

Other noteables or relatives too, but not Nascar related.

I've met Helio Castroneves and Gil de Ferran a couple of times and I know Jason Keller and Shane Hall. That's as close as I get to nascar and knowing people. Jason, Shane, and myself grew up in the same town. My ex used to be good friends with them. LOL, I was only about 16 or 17 back then.....man how time flies!!

I think Renshaw is a great talent and I think she is going in the right direction to further her career. She learned at one of the argueably best short tracks, Nashville, drove for a great Arca team this past season with Bob Schacht, and it now moving to a Busch team that has proven their worth this year. That's a good way to do it, and I look for her to be strong in that car next season.

I wonder if that team is really ready to move up to Cup next year, though. Kevin Grubb is an excellent racer, so hopefully he can turn heads in Cup like he has been in Busch over the past few years.

Originally posted by 71Fan
She was driving a local short track running 2nd in points I think. One of the guys got spun by her early on and ever since he had been looking for way to get to her. Besides, she was closing in on the championship and he didn't seem to like that or god only knows.

Anyways, he got up enuf money from to pay to have her motor torn down, and it hit the wire-services.

As an addition to the above, the guy who led the protest used to work for her. AND, the car didn't have to be inspected but Renshaw insisted for it to be torn down. Then she was found to be illegal, got disqualified, gained national media attention, got tons of expoure and now has an offer for a Busch ride.

If only she hadn't INSISTED her car get torn down none of these opportunites would be there right now.

She got where she wants to be, now she has to prove she belongs there.

That was either very shrewd on her part (like maybe the whole thing was a set up?) or the dude was just a very very disgruntled former employee. hmmmmmm.......brains too can be very scary.:eek:

And, my mistake....she was leading the points at the time of the protest.....mighta just been tied, I'm not sure right now.

Originally posted by 71Fan
That was either very shrewd on her part (like maybe the whole thing was a set up?) or the dude was just a very very disgruntled former employee. hmmmmmm.......brains too can be very scary.:eek: &nbsp;

And, my mistake....she was leading the points at the time of the protest.....mighta just been tied, I'm not sure right now.

I shouldn't imply that anything was fishy with that whole deal but when I read on dotcom that Day used to work for Renshaw, little warning flags started popping up in my head. If he was so anti-woman drivers, why would he have worked for her in the first place. And maybe there is one Cro-magnon backward thinking male left in this country that would be discriminatory towards a woman driver but 11 of them at the same track? And $3600 is a TON of money for a local racer to file a protest. You have to be pretty sure something is wrong before you spend that kind of money. And if as we have been told on another board, it was gonna cost her $10,000 to have that engine torn down and rebuilt, would she insist that it be done after being told that it wasn't necessary? I may just have a suspicious mind but this does all seem fishy to me. Look at how fast her career took off after this all happened. LOL

But she's there. And other drivers have gotten there by any means available to them so I don't begrudge that to her. But now she has to show she belongs there. Maybe she does and maybe she doesn't. We'll all know before long.

She was neither leading the points nor tied for the lead at time of the protest. Nor had had won an event.

The teardown was required by the protest. However the promoter upon hearing the circumstances of the made an inquiry to NASCAR as to whether he had to allow it. NASCAAR said no, and he offered that option to the Renshaw team. They declined that option declaring they had nothing to hide.

The found infraction was so minor that it gave no performance advantage. I seem to recall the inspector stating it was the smallest variance he had ever measured.

But yes, she does have to now prove her competence at the next level, as would any driver. Of course if someone expects her to conme out the gate with top 5 or even 10's I would say you're placing an exorbitant level of expectation on her. Give it time and time will tell.

i just dont think she is a publicity stunt to get sponsors like shawna was!!!!:mad:

hmmmm her website sez she led the points race for a while. As smart as she seems to be, I don't think she is stupid enuf to falsify her record.

Oh well HS, like you I've seen a lot of drivers come and go. I guess we'll all get to find out next year whether or not she really has the goods.

And Zoe? I don't think Shawna is in it as a stunt. The lady ain't none too shabby as drivers go. Trying to break in with the top dogs ain't easy.

She did lead the points for a while and that is what first brought her to some attention. She was the first female to lead a NASCAR weekly series points race, if I recall correctly. She had lost that points lead by the time of the protest.

Lots of them my friend, a whole boocoodle of 'em. Some better than they ever show and some worse than they often show, if ya know what I mean.

Shawna is no "stunt" by any means. The lady has been racing for long time. Seems many folks think she just showed up last year or something. And history tells us that female racers are harder to get sponsors for than male racers. Shawna has run unsponsored all season, so the logic of that eludes me.

Back
Top Bottom