MWR down to 2 full-time cars and 1 part-time car in 2014

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
CONCORD, N.C. -- Michael Waltrip Racing will run only two full-time cars next season because of the loss of sponsor NAPA, The Associated Press reports.

Team owners Michael Waltrip and Rob Kauffman on Monday began telling employees of the decision. Those affected were told they are free to begin looking for new jobs immediately.

Two employees spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because MWR had not publicly announced its decision.

The car Martin Truex Jr. currently drives will run a partial schedule in 2014.

NAPA decided to leave MWR at the end of the year -- fallout from the team's attempt to manipulate the finish at Richmond to get Truex into the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.

http://espn.go.com/racing/story/_/id/9824197/michael-waltrip-racing-cutting-2-full-teams-2014

There's no way Truex stays to become part-time, right? Who do they bring in for that car?

And the drivers are supposed to be Vickers and Bowyer, but Vickers just went out with another clot for who knows how long.

After all the wack and whine..they lose half a car, not bad, Kauffman must be bitten with the Nascar bug.....and the nine lives of Michael live on.They have almost half a year to dig up more sponsors tic tic tic

sorry Vickers..I got a business in tough times to run, we can't lose you next year and find a fill in driver in the middle of the stream, Truex in Vickers out.

Can't count Truex out. Vickers might get side lined..got a good reason to park him with the health issues.

NAPA is split on whether or not they want to even stay in NASCAR, and apparently the two most important people in the organization are on the side of staying out. I'd put them at 60-40 odds that they don't return - at least not next season.

NAPA is split on whether or not they want to even stay in NASCAR, and apparently the two most important people in the organization are on the side of staying out. I'd put them at 60-40 odds that they don't return - at least not next season.

Well, I hope Truex gets a better ride next year and pwns Vickers and Bowyer next year.

with Speed gone Napa lost a lot of advertising opportunities. they were all over the pre and post race shows, and the daily motorsports shows. Doesn't seem like good business to not have the NAPA car, there aren't that many motorsports arenas on TV. recently to get the product out there.

Really, still with the idiocy of targeting all of this animus at Bowyer and Vickers? Isn't it enough to just say that Truex got screwed by his organization's malfeasance? I love this idea that if roles were reversed, Truex would have refused to follow team orders to help his teammates. Or that [insert your favorite driver] would have.

My heart goes out to all the crew members and their families that have been affected by this unfortunate incident that has been blown so far out of proportion. My hats off to MWR for digging deep and reconstructing their organization and saving 75% of their employees jobs. MWR, could have just threw in the towl and gave up in such a difficult situation, but they didn't, and now hopefully they have learned a valuable lesson from this and now they can consentrate on building their company back to where it was, or even better, so that they may have the opportunity to go on furnishing employment for a lot of men and women, and building more race teams that us fans can enjoy for years to come.

Really, still with the idiocy of targeting all of this animus at Bowyer and Vickers? Isn't it enough to just say that Truex got screwed by his organization's malfeasance? I love this idea that if roles were reversed, Truex would have refused to follow team orders to help his teammates. Or that [insert your favorite driver] would have.

Yeah, very few drivers are in the position to refuse to do something for their team. I dont really blame the drivers although Bowyer pretty much dug his own grave with his comments or lack thereof. I dont qish ill will on Vickers, the guy just got back into cup because of MWR

The downside is we are going to continue to have to watch and listen to MWs whiny cheesy ass on fox.

Welcome to the forum gnome , I don't understand all them big words but I love what you're sayin . I said in another post that Mark Martin would have done the same thing if he were still in the car . Orders is orders . Now , after all of the venum and vitrial thrown at Vickers , everybody supposedly feels sorry for him again ? Man ..... short memories .

Welcome to the forum gnome , I don't understand all them big words but I love what you're sayin . I said in another post that Mark Martin would have done the same thing if he were still in the car . Orders is orders . Now , after all of the venum and vitrial thrown at Vickers , everybody supposedly feels sorry for him again ? Man ..... short memories .

Thanks for the welcome. I guess it's just easier for some folks to see in black and white and find easy villains.

Knowing MW's reputation especially after the Richmond scandal, I don't know why any driver would want to drive for this team. Personally I'd be embarrassed & ashamed. I'm surprised they even have drivers for 2014.

Like what do they say when asked who their owner is? "M. Waltrip is a good man. He's got one of the longest rap sheets for cheating in NASCAR & was responsible for allowing his team to make a mockery of the sport in the 2013 Richmond scandal. It was the biggest scandal in NASCAR history." Oh. Congrats?

The downside is we are going to continue to have to watch and listen to MWs whiny cheesy ass on fox.

If he was no longer calling the races, I wouldn't miss him. But I hope MWR survives, and I don't want MW to suffer personally.
The idea scenario imo would just have him wanting to do something other than being in broadcast booth.

But as a windbag myself I know that wont happen, it is hard to silence a yip yapper.

Knowing MW's reputation especially after the Richmond scandal, I don't know why any driver would want to drive for this team. Personally I'd be embarrassed & ashamed. I'm surprised they even have drivers for 2014.

Like what do they say when asked who their owner is? "M. Waltrip is a good man. He's got one of the longest rap sheets for cheating in NASCAR & was responsible for allowing his team to make a mockery of the sport in the 2013 Richmond scandal. It was the biggest scandal in NASCAR history." Oh. Congrats?

If somebody has a car that can win, drivers would don the old Kenny Rogers chicken costume if needed for the chance. A good ride is hard to find.

My heart goes out to all the crew members and their families that have been affected by this unfortunate incident that has been blown so far out of proportion. My hats off to MWR for digging deep and reconstructing their organization and saving 75% of their employees jobs. MWR, could have just threw in the towl and gave up in such a difficult situation, but they didn't, and now hopefully they have learned a valuable lesson from this and now they can consentrate on building their company back to where it was, or even better, so that they may have the opportunity to go on furnishing employment for a lot of men and women, and building more race teams that us fans can enjoy for years to come.
I hope so, but why do I have the feeling that they will screw up again....how many times have they been caught? Three that I can remember , there are probably more.

Thanks for the welcome. I guess it's just easier for some folks to see in black and white and find easy villains.

You've pegged us gnome , we are very much black and white , here are a few of the things with hate and the things we love

We hate restrictor plates
We hate the France Family
We hate start and parks
We hate older drivers who should retire
We hate drivers with family money
We hate Danica (and the ground she walks on)
We hate Kyle for winning in Nationwide
We hate Kyle Petty
We hate Michael Waltrip
We hate long races
We hate debris cautions
We hate some cheating

We like

You've pegged us gnome , we are very much black and white , here are a few of the things with hate and the things we love

We hate start and parks
We hate Kyle Petty
We hate Michael Waltrip
We hate long races
We hate debris cautions
We hate some cheating

We like

A lot of them hate me too... I'm sure you'll have an opinion of me soon enough ur self lol hopefully good

We hate start and parks
We hate Kyle Petty
We hate Michael Waltrip
We hate long races
We hate debris cautions
We hate some cheating

We like

We like pushrods
We like anything nascar does
We like Brian Frances 2nd wife
We like Danica driving
We like Danica cooking
We like Danica talking
We like Danica wrecking other people
We like Danica wrecking herself
We like all thing aero
We like rear windows

Sounds like after the smoke cleared Mikey got off easy with losing a half a car. I was hoping it would cost him two teams.

Wow, it really sucks that Truex is the one that got screwed over. It would never happen but Truex should drive the #15.

Sounds like after the smoke cleared Mikey got off easy with losing a half a car. I was hoping it would cost him two teams.
If MWR lost it's teams and closed it's doors I think the only ones that would have really been hurt would have been all of the MWR employees and their families. I would just about bet the bank that Michael Waltrip has a few million dollars set aside that cannot be touched by a bankruptcy in his business. He would probably just live a nice life off of the intrest alone, and he can always make extra money broadcasting races, selling his merchandise, and doing autograph meet and greets. I am glad that instead of throwing in the towl... they are reconstucting their company and trying to have the least amount of employee layoffs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom