My "concession speach" for Jeff Gordon

4xchampncountin

I wouldn't expect Jeff to make a concession speach, but I kind of feel like making one for him. The race for the Cup is obviously over. If Jeff was going to make a serious run at the Championship this year several things would have had to happen. He needed to dominate at The Glen and he needed to have virtually a mistake-free, trouble-free last 15 weeks while Kenseth was going to have to have some problems. Well...Obviously things didn't go quite his way at Watkins Glen. Matt is looking more and more like Jeff did when he was stringing Championships together. You don't even really notice Matt is out there and then, BAM, he ends up with yet another top 10 finish. Jeff had some help having his bad day today, but irregardless, I just don't see even Jeff Gordon coming back from this.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet but It's a deep hole to dig out of.

The only thing missing is Ray. I think the only thing that kept Jeff out of this championship race is Loomis.

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 10 2003, 11:45 PM
The only thing missing is Ray. I think the only thing that kept Jeff out of this championship race is Loomis.
I don't think he needs Ray back, by any means. But I have never had much confidence in Robby Loomis. Loomis is in a tough situation, but that is no excuse. Several times that team has made some very bad calls, most of the time in pit strategy, and most of that time in taking 4 tires when it just wasn't valuable enough to give up all of that track position. Most of the time Jeff has made the final call on that. But, I feel that if Robby showed enough backbone he could just override Jeff and make the right call. The driver always wants 4 tires. That's like asking a kid if he wants to play with something dangerous. Duh, of course he is going to say "yes". But, sometimes you have to be the cooler head and explain why giving up the track position isn't a good idea. I will give Loomis credit in that he did win a Championship with Jeff. However, I firmly believe that Jeff won his fourth Championship in spite of Robby Loomis, not because of him.

I didn't mean he needed Ray back, I am like you, I don't have the confidence in Loomis to make decisions. Maybe he lets Jeff make the final call because he is a four time champion. Whatever the case may be the 24 team is definately lacking something it once had.

a question I got for the Gordon fans. How would Jeffy be doing if he had Knaus as CC? and vice versa with Jimmie and loomis

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:06 AM
I didn't mean he needed Ray back, I am like you, I don't have the confidence in Loomis to make decisions. Maybe he lets Jeff make the final call because he is a four time champion. Whatever the case may be the 24 team is definately lacking something it once had.
That what I meant by saying he was in a tough spot. It can not be easy telling Jeff Gordon he is wrong. But, sometimes that is exactly what crew chief needs to do. If he is going to let Jeff make all of the tough decisions, why is he taking his paycheck?

Originally posted by chuck@Aug 11 2003, 12:14 AM
a question I got for the Gordon fans. How would Jeffy be doing if he had Knaus as CC? and vice versa with Jimmie and loomis
That is an excellent question. We will never know, but I'm sure Jeff would be doing better than he is right now. Knaus is a hell of a crew chief, but that is not always the only answer. Ray was a great crew chief, but the key to he and Jeff's success was an ability to work together. It is unclear how Jeff and Chad would work together, but I would be willing to bet they would win a bunch.

Sounds like jeff is doing a lot of whing right now after the race today. Judging from the headlines on NASCAR.COM. what the heck is going on I haven't saw the last couple of weeks races. Bifle was crying that gordon would not give him his lap back at new hamshire and then I go to NASCARS website to find out that biffle got in to gordon on the opening lap at the glen.

Not trying to make accusation just trying find out what is going on.

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:31 AM
It's just a racing deal.
It might be that, but it sure seems like more. It is frustrating for Jeff (and his fans too) that people who should show more restraint are ruining his championship run.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Aug 10 2003, 06:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Aug 10 2003, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:31 AM
It's just a racing deal.
It might be that, but it sure seems like more. It is frustrating for Jeff (and his fans too) that people who should show more restraint are ruining his championship run. [/b][/quote]
I'm sorry 4x, did you miss the sarcasm? :huh:

Originally posted by Racefan@Aug 10 2003, 06:27 PM
Sounds like jeff is doing a lot of whing right now after the race today. Judging from the headlines on NASCAR.COM. what the heck is going on I haven't saw the last couple of weeks races. Bifle was crying that gordon would not give him his lap back at new hamshire and then I go to NASCARS website to find out that biffle got in to gordon on the opening lap at the glen.

Not trying to make accusation just trying find out what is going on.
It was one of them racin' deals when Biff got into Jeff. :D

IMO,Gordon himself is in desperation mode....Harvick didnt run Jeff out of gas after all---he just ran over him.The 'drive for five' had better start being a drive for second...or Junebug is gonna walk away from him.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Aug 10 2003, 06:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Aug 10 2003, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:31 AM
It's just a racing deal.
It might be that, but it sure seems like more. It is frustrating for Jeff (and his fans too) that people who should show more restraint are ruining his championship run. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, Biff spun him out, but you can't blame Biff for the bad finish...he ran out of gas & Harvick turned him around. If Harvick doesn't turn him around...he still finishes in the top 10.

Yeah, but if I'm outta gas I'm not in the racing groove coming off the last corner.

yeah I'm a Jeff fan ,but what was Jeff thinking?

Oh well next race

Originally posted by eeff@Aug 10 2003, 07:10 PM
yeah I'm a Jeff fan ,but&nbsp; what was Jeff thinking?

Oh well next race
Is there a 12-step program for that?

Hi, my name is ____ , and I'm a Jeff Fan.

j/k :D :lol:

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Aug 11 2003, 01:17 AM

Is there a 12-step program for that?

Hi, my name is ____ , and I'm a Jeff Fan.

j/k :D :lol:
[/quote]
I don't think there is, but we might need one if this keeps up. I will admit to being a bit spoiled by being a Jeff Gordon fan. But, I think it just hurts worse when you know your guy can win it all and doesn't. No offense, but a fan of an average driver could not be too disappointed in their driver not winning it all. In their heart they know it would take a miracle for that driver to win the championship, so they kind of go in expecting it. I don't just expect Jeff to win it every year, but when he has a realistic shot at it this late in the season it hurts when you see that window of opportunity slam on your fingers.

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah, but it's not a big deal. I know wrecks happen and sometimes they can't be avoided. It just seems like wrecks happen around Biffle more than most drivers.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Aug 10 2003, 08:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Aug 10 2003, 08:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah, but it's not a big deal. I know wrecks happen and sometimes they can't be avoided. It just seems like wrecks happen around Biffle more than most drivers. [/b][/quote]
Hey, we finally agree about something. :bounce:

Originally posted by bowtie@Aug 11 2003, 02:24 AM

[/quote]
Actually we agree more often than you think. I am actually a closet Junior fan. When he is not locked in a points chase with Jeff Gordon, I actually root for the guy. NASCAR trying to shove him down my throat as more than what he is, is really the only thing I don't like.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 10 2003, 08:28 PM

Actually we agree more often than you think. I am actually a closet Junior fan. When he is not locked in a points chase with Jeff Gordon, I actually root for the guy. NASCAR trying to shove him down my throat as more than what he is, is really the only thing I don't like.
[/quote]
O.K. I won't tell anybody.

Actually guys, Jeff Gordon didnt have a realistic chance at catching Kenseth. In all honesty, nobody does. Being over 300 points out of lead with 14 races left is not a realistic chance at the title for Jeff Gordon. Kenseth can miss two races and would still be in front. I think the battle for first is just about out of question for Gordon, because he still has to pass Junior, who is on top of his game right now.

Kenseth needs to have about 3 DNF's for anybody to catch him right now. I think the primary reason you Jeff Gordon fans are upset is because Jeff is a 4 time champion, used to having multiple win seasons. Fact is the competition has caught up, and the #24 team doesnt have an advantage anymore. Because the competition is so tough, it will be very tough for Jeff to win another championship. The days of winning 7 races a year are over for Jeff, and he knows that, which is why he is frustrated.

If CK and jeff became a team again,they would take nascar by the balls..i argree with most users here about his pit strategies this year,not many good calls with the tire useage and gas....

If I could just get Harvick to wreck all the drivers in front of michael waltrip in the points, this might turn out being a pretty good season.... hehe.

I think that, with the way competition is today, 396 points is just too much for Jeff to make up in 14 races. It's a lot harder to get on a hot streak now than it was 10-15 years ago, and even then, Jeff's got to average a gain of over 28 points a race on Matt - it's unrealistic to expect that over three months, given how Matt is running. Matt is a lot farther ahead than Sterling Marlin was at this time last year, so it's unrealistic to compare the two. I think this championship race is down to two drivers: Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr.

P.S. The point system is NOT the cause of Matt's big lead - the same system is producing point races in the Busch and Truck Series that are closer than the Cup race from last year.

Back
Top Bottom