Name something you LIKE about today’s NASCAR racing

JGR_20

Team Owner
I’m taking a huge risk at this... I cringe at how this could turn out...

We can always read and see opportunities to discuss what’s ‘wrong’ with today’s version of nascar... but please, name one thing that you like about nascar racing right now, or something that the sanctioning body has done in recent years.

The fact that it isn't entirely southerners. Granted, I'm a southerner myself, but I'm happy there's great drivers from all over the country in my time.

Also the new Camaro, Mustang and Supras are SICK.

5c4c3ebfd1381f5357b7fa77db6b6171.jpg

Ample media coverage/information availability (I can learn anything in just a few clicks).
Decreasing ticket prices and no more ticket waiting lists.
Better coverage of K&N/Whelen races (every Whelen Modified Tour race is being livestreamed for free on Fanschoice.
Not seeing drivers get injured every few weeks (seriously, even though the last US NASCAR death was 2001, multiple drivers got hurt each season up until the COT).
Weekly short track local racing on the upswing (in the Northeast at least anyways). My hometrack has had more weeks this racing season WITH consolation races than without for the first time since before smartphones and TV's were still over a foot wide in the back.

Youth movement getting more exposure. High schoolers on up to Xfinity "Big 3".

For the most part, I have actually enjoyed the racing (shrug emoji)

I also think the playoff format is the perfect formula for rewarding consistent regular season success with the added excitement of elimination style playoff performances (shrug emoji).

For the most part, I have actually enjoyed the racing (shrug emoji)

I also think the playoff format is the perfect formula for rewarding consistent regular season success with the added excitement of elimination style playoff performances (shrug emoji).
I agree on most of what you however I disagree on the champion being crowned by winning the last race even though he may be a distant fourth. Just to much riding on a single race. I would prefer the driver scoring the most points over the last 3 races be the champion.

Going to the race track and being surrounded by 30-60 thousand people that have the same interest as you.

Throwback weekend at Darlington.

Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond, Sonoma and Watkins Glen.

The safety of the modern cars.

The fact that each manufacturer has control over parts of the body of the car making them easily identified, unlike the COT cars.

The racing to the stages is a surprise for me. I didn't think it would produce hard racing, but it really breaks up the monotony and some of the racing to the breaks have been really good. I really like the truck series. It really has taken off after they reduced the costs. I think with a bit of tweaking for certain tracks, the various packages in the cup series are going to get even better. The new composite bodies in Xfinity has made that series a contact sport.

The racing to the stages is a surprise for me. I didn't think it would produce hard racing, but it really breaks up the monotony and some of the racing to the breaks have been really good. I really like the truck series. It really has taken off after they reduced the costs. I think with a bit of tweaking for certain tracks, the various packages in the cup series are going to get even better. The new composite bodies in Xfinity has made that series a contact sport.

This year has been VERY hit or miss with the package. Every race is either amazing, or trash.

This year has been VERY hit or miss with the package. Every race is either amazing, or trash.
the OP says say something you like about today's Nascar racing. I know it is too much to expect from the blunderbusses who can't be satisfied, but I ain't going to get thrown off topic by one or two of them. :D:cool:

The Youth Movement, stages ( okay I've come around. makes them race harder through the day), watching Kyle Busch in his prime racing cars for a living, the safety innovations that continue to evolve and throwback weekend at Darlington for the Southern 500 ( throw it all the way back and make them race on Sunday afternoon. Only the strong survive that one!)

I think many people like the stages themselves. The stage cautions and lost green laps are what people dislike.
Exactly! I reminds me of our local short track. 50 lap race and 15 (counted) laps spent re-aligning the field -- common occurrence. Or long intermissions to sell food and beer, then cutting the feature short for the curfew.

The modern aspect, the gen 6 cars, the tracks, the drivers, the playoff system. Pretty much everything except the new package.
OK, that's over simplified... but I basically agree. The cars are beautiful. They're hand-built racing prototypes, engineered for a single purpose... to race Nascar ovals. They are not OEM production cars, and thankfully don't pretend to be. The technology is definitely stone age in basic architecture, but honed and optimized by sophisticated race teams that operate at a very high level of professionalism. I like that.

I'm OK with the stages. I especially like that the stage points create a mechanism for the best teams to earn a meaningful points gap over the mid-field runners. Nascar *never* had that before 2017. There are parts of the elimination style playoff I don't like, but the changes of 2017 made it a lot better than before.

I like the deep field of top teams... 6-8+ elite drivers, plus another 8+ capable of winning on a good day.

I love Nascar's focus on competition on the track... hand-to-hand combat even in heavy traffic... rarely see that in any other major auto racing series (except on dirt).

I like drivers in the 40-something age range that have never developed a sense of entitlement... like Ryan Newman. Also in the 30-something range... Brad K, Stenhouse.

I like all of the young guns that race hard. Some of them will likely develop into entitled divas but we don't know which ones. When they do, I'll deal with it then... for now they're all good.

The mute button!
Really the same that has already been stated regarding the young guys, the stages, the truck series and this message board.

I think many people like the stages themselves. The stage cautions and lost green laps are what people dislike.
I know they do this because they want the commercial time so why not send them into the pits and play your 3-5 min. of commercials?

Back
Top Bottom