NASCAR and the younger crowd

Some interesting numbers just mentioned on Countdown to Green on TNT.

20 years ago compared to today:
26% of the races were run on short tracks, 17% today
Only 13% of the races were run on 1.5 milers, up to 31% today (And 50% are 1.5 milers in the Chase)

Some interesting numbers just mentioned on Countdown to Green on TNT.

20 years ago compared to today:
26% of the races were run on short tracks, 17% today
Only 13% of the races were run on 1.5 milers, up to 31% today (And 50% are 1.5 milers in the Chase)

Youngsters are "a bit" different from folks like me (although not that much)...they see "boring" much faster. Nascar made a huge mistake going for the boring 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks - and they will pay for it as us "old schoolers" who watch whatever race is available die off.

Easy to get the young kids! Start racing Honda civics with 20 inch rims bumblebees bee exhaust and bass pumping rap from the onboard sound system, then give very one a trophy and a Blount at the end!

Lol, were you trying to say blunt? :D

I don't agree with any of your post but I do believe winners interviews would be better if they had blunts in their hands.. Who knows? If Keselowski had been puffing on some high grade cheeba, maybe he wouldn't have tried to chop off his hand.

Haha! They should have a race in Denver...

"Now there is smoke in turn three!!...oh...nevermind" :puffin:

I've been looking at that Nascar demo profile. 14% of the under 34 crowd is a dismal showing IMHO. No way will they ever replace the 49% of those 55 or older. The race broadcast time was 132 minutes and commercials took almost half of that time, 59 minutes?!. No wonder viewers are leaving.
Maybe if nascar didn't go for super mega big bucks at TV contract time the networks wouldn't have to run as many commercials to recoup their investment and turn a profit.

Two of the three races thus far that saw viewership increases from last year were on TNT, so maybe their dubstep is working after all.

Maybe NASCAR could sponsor something that teaches new drivers how to maintain a car, associate it with driver ed programs. Something to help the next gen think about cars.

Nascar sponsoring driver ed would be like prostitutes sponsoring sex ed. Just a thought...

One of the big problems is how we get the races, all are cable or Dish accounts. A lot of people can not afford or are unwilling to get the packages on a monthly basis to be able to watch the races.
As far as young people, it takes the adult in the family to familiarize the kids to the sport, predominately the male influence in the family, which is in short supply as well in a lot of cases.
I firmly believe if you ever get someone to a live race, he will become hooked. There ain't nothing like 43- 850HP cars going by side by side tail to tail ta 190+ MPH 15 feet away from you. If that don't get your motor running, well, your dead!

They show that they have an interest in cars, because drifting is very popular with them. I think they are interested in it because, it is cheaper and easier to get involved in, as a participant, than any other form of motorsports right now. A big part of that interest is being able to watch someone compete with the same car you have in your driveway. If they already have the car, with just a little encouragement, they might become a driver. Once you are a driver, you will always be a fan, regardless if you are still driving or not. So the problem, as I see it, is there isn't anything in my driveway (or anyone else') that looks like something you could go compete in right now. It's not the end all answer to this problem, but I think it would help quite a bit. I remember when I first got interested in Nascar. My dad had a '63 Galaxy 500, just like Fred Lorenzen's. I thought, "With his car, I could do that too." By the time I found out I couldn't, I was hooked.

Reactions: sdj
I spent 2 full days at Cedar Point and saw thousands of young people from all over the country. Not one of them I saw was wearing anything NASCAR related. The only people I saw wearing NASCAR stuff (maybe 10 people) were 55+. Five of those 10 were Jr fans. My first inclination was to think that this might be another sign of waning interest but upon further reflection it may be due to so many NASCAR shirts being black which is always a poor choice when spending a hot day in the day in the sun.

Just an observation. Of course, I have lots of NASCAR gear of many colors and didn't wear any so as with 90% of my posts, this one is irrelevant. :)

Back
Top Bottom