NASCAR at LeMans

At the 6-hour mark they’re about 2.5 minutes off of the lead GTE-Am.

IMG_1639.jpeg

The car’s best lap time was only about a tenth off of that of the winning Corvette, with a 3:50.4.

This was fantastic marketing. I don’t think I’ve seen so much NASCAR on social media across a whole week as I have this past week.

IMG_1647.jpeg

I'm wondering if the G56 car is going back to the NASCAR R&D and see what they can apply to the Cup Cars. I'd love to see them unleash the engine because G56 sound like a BEAST going down the Mulsanne Straight.

Hey, what are the G56 rules? If NASCAR / HMS would be interested, is a car allowed to enter under that classification more than once?

Maybe Rick will get the sports car bug?

I'm wondering if the G56 car is going back to the NASCAR R&D and see what they can apply to the Cup Cars. I'd love to see them unleash the engine because G56 sound like a BEAST going down the Mulsanne Straight.
I’m sure it will. Which is exactly what other teams and manufacturers were concerned about this experiment. If any of G56 stuff is applied to the Cup cars down the road, it would give the best team (by a country mile) an even bigger advantage.

I’m sure it will. Which is exactly what other teams and manufacturers were concerned about this experiment. If any of G56 stuff is applied to the Cup cars down the road, it would give the best team (by a country mile) an even bigger advantage.
Eh to be fair more horsepower would anyways, I think that comment is a bit too dramatic. If you gave Hendricks/Gibbs a 750 HP engine I think they could dominate the field both with talent and performance. The fact that we have so many commonly sourced parts today doesn’t worry me at all.

A clear demonstration that the engines can be turned up to 750 HP and stay alive for the duration of 3+ Cup races.
I just came here to say the same thing. They just ran 2,413 miles on a higher output build than what we'll see at Somoma today, seemingly with no powertrain issues, only a transaxle failure after about 20 hours.

I never ever want to hear again that going back to high HP would create issues for the OEMs or the engine builders. Doug Yates himself said on the Dale Jr Download a long time ago that they could be running 800+ HP again with zero issue. So the key Ford engine guy said it's fine. The Chevy camp displayed with flying colors that it's fine. Now I guess it's Toyota's turn.....

Now I guess it's Toyota's turn.....
Did anybody from Ford or Chevy talk cost? I am sensitive to this because WE have always been accused of throwing money around. They can do it, but not likely for free.

Did anybody from Ford or Chevy talk cost? I am sensitive to this because WE have always been accused of throwing money around. They can do it, but not likely for free.
The biggest point of failure when we used to see engines expire was valvetrain. Valve springs today are more resilient than ever, and valve float issues and spring breakage that used to occur with high RPM back in the day is no longer an issue. Switching to a larger intake, a bigger cam, and raising the redline isn't really going to cost anybody more money. No matter what the package is, they're always doing R&D to eek out another horsepower regardless of the confines of the rulebook.

So what becomes of Le Monsteur now?
It was on display at American SpeedFest at Brands Hatch (UK) this past weekend and will likely do a run at the Goodwood Festival of Speed over there next month as well. It’ll probably be retired from competition but continue to tour international car/motorsport shows.

Knaus said that the No. 24 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 that contested the 24 Hours of Le Mans will likely be retired from competition.

He downplayed the possibility of the car potentially running competitively elsewhere, instead indicating that the car will be brought to a number of international car events.

While having been on hand for the Brands Hatch American SpeedFest event last weekend, Knaus indicated that the car is also likely to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July.

“We’ve got a primary car and a backup car completed,” he explained. “I think both of these cars are going to be pretty iconic. I think they’re going to take their time and go to the rest home after this.

“We may go to Goodwood with one of the cars and run there, which I think will be great. I’m sure we’ll do some very cool car shows and things of that nature.”

Back
Top Bottom