NASCAR at LeMans

Wonder if they’ll try to put a hybrid powertrain together.

It’s going to be awesome watching them develop this thing to try to go run 24 hours in anger.

I wonder who will be the drivers?

JJ, Dinger, Chase, and someone with LeMans experience.

EDIT: oh, wait, will Dinger and Chase have existing NASCAR commitments that weekend next year?
That's what I was wondering, Jimmie I could see for sure. I don't know what weekend that might fall on. Dale Jr, Smoke?

I think Smoke it tied to Ford too much. I could see Boris Said along with JJ
A couple of Chevy's open-wheelers, maybe. Of course, nothing says they'll use NASCAR or Indy drivers at all. IMSA always keeps that weekend open, but I suspect many of their top guys have long-standing associations with existing rides.

Well didnt see this coming , very cool.

ICE for an LMH is capped at 500kw or 670 bhp.

With electric motors, the Toyota GR010 (LMH) produces up to 200 hp with the electric motors.

This car is going to haul ass. Also, I guess they had this in mind when giving the HP amount for the car this year. Now its starting to make sense.

the best thing about is they can test,and say its not for nascar it for le mans .great idea:dirtbike:

Reactions: sdj
A Ford Torino and a Dodge Charger from the Cup Series already competed at Le Mans in 1976, was about time it happened again.

Now TRD is on the phone with NASCAR desperately trying to enter a next gen car into next ARCA or K&N race

ACO confirmed hybrid. Goal is to have the car lapping as quick as GTE-Am cars.

Good.

Testing and all of the manufacturers looking on, too? 2023 is going to be a great time to capitalize off interest to other OEMs as well. New GT regulations and the new GTP and LMH to debut.

Give NASCAR credit, they are playing their hand very well with this move. The most important thing is what will this hybrid powertain consist of? The same V8 or maybe time comes for a new engine configuration?

This is all very exciting.

Good.

Testing and all of the manufacturers looking on, too? 2023 is going to be a great time to capitalize off interest to other OEMs as well. New GT regulations and the new GTP and LMH to debut.

Give NASCAR credit, they are playing their hand very well with this move. The most important thing is what will this hybrid powertain consist of? The same V8 or maybe time comes for a new engine configuration?

This is all very exciting.
I hope it will still be a naturally aspirated V8. Words can't describe how great that sound is.
Oh, and maybe the ACO can remove the chicanes on the Hunaudieres for 2023 so we can watch the NASCAR fly past those Hypercars :pbjtime:

Briggs Cunningham ll at LeMans in 1950

1647556193434.png

Last edited:

Chase Briscoe ( and a bunch of others ) drove cars owned by Briggs Cunningham lll ... the old boy’s son.

I don't see NASCAR leaving an opening in its 2023 schedule just so two or three guys can run this race. If a couple of guys do skip a scheduled race to run this, there's the question of whether they get exemptions to the 'run every race' rule.

So I'd bet against any active Cup drivers. If I were Chevy, I'd go with as many Indy / IMSA drivers as I could get with previous LeMans experience, and toss in Ol' 7-Time to keep the US media interested.

Last edited:
I don't see NASCAR leaving an opening in its 2023 schedule just so two or three guys can run this race. If a couple of guys do skip a scheduled race to run this, there's the question of whether they get exemptions to the 'run every race' rule.

So I'd bet against any active Cup drivers. If I were Chevy, I'd go with as many Indy / IMSA drivers as I could get with previous LeMans experience, and toss in Ol' 7-Time to keep the US media interested.
I'd argue you'd want someone with significant stock car experience though

I'd argue you'd want someone with significant stock car experience though
If they're going to modify an ZL1, how much is this vehicle going to be like a Gen 7 stock car? With that as the starting point, it may have more in common with GT cars than what we've seen running in Cup the last month. There should still be active IMSA / sports car drivers who have experience from the last time Camaro ran competitively.

Phelps said they’ll look at it at least, and Mr. H said he’d like an active Cup driver. Both Kyle and Chase have 24-hour experience so I could see either or both of them being chosen if they make schedule room.

But yeah, if not, GM should be fine considering Corvette may not race there next year.

Have you not forgotten this is nascar where we make up the rules as we go along and points don't really matter? In all seriousness I could see them granting exemptions or a open week or two magically appearing in the schedule next season. They've already basically shut down the series for the Olympics in the the past

Have you not forgotten this is nascar where we make up the rules as we go along and points don't really matter? In all seriousness I could see them granting exemptions or a open week or two magically appearing in the schedule next season. They've already basically shut down the series for the Olympics in the the past
I mean traditionally, most other motorsports leaves the week of the LeMans race open.

No surprise if it is left open next year.

Back
Top Bottom