NASCAR at LeMans

The objective of the exercise is (or should be) to showcase Nascar to the broader motor racing world... the Next Gen car and the drivers who thrash it on a weekly basis. And also to learn a few things and thus expand Nascar's knowledge base. It would be a serious mistake in my opinion to use "celebrity drivers" in the car such as have been advocated by some on here.

Drivers who had great careers, but now are older and past their prime, should not be foisted off on the world to showcase what Nascar is all about. Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart, Labontes Terry and Bobby, Darrell Waltrip, Richard Petty, and Red Farmer should not be considered.

It would be equally ridiculous to pick non-Nascar drivers. Do you really want to convey the message that... we've built a capable car but we can't drive it so we hired Jordan Taylor or Colten Herta or Fernando Alonso to do that? No.

If Nascar is serious about it's pledge to make this a collaborative effort between the three current OEM's, then all three should be represented on the driver list. Here's my list:

Chevy - Kyle Larson (alternate Chase Elliott)
Ford - Ryan Blaney (Joey Logano)
Toyota - Denny Hamlin (KDB or MTJ)

@LewTheShoe what's wrong with celebrity NASCAR drivers if those "celebrities" can also get it done? JJ would be a very good pick for this. He already has quite a number of endurance starts going back for what, close to two decades now on and off? AND he brings name recognition/street cred? Win-win

I don't think it is practical to have NASCAR drivers run LeMans, they would have to miss 1 or 2 Cup races (plus jet lag). Not many NASCAR drivers participate in the 24 Hours of Daytona any more. Retired drives are ... retired and I wonder how many would want to endure a 24 hour race. Imsa drivers would be the best fit, some already drive the LeMans race. I think the point of running a 24 hour race is to show, see, and test what the NASCAR race platform can do.

I don't think it is practical to have NASCAR drivers run LeMans, they would have to miss 1 or 2 Cup races (plus jet lag). Not many NASCAR drivers participate in the 24 Hours of Daytona any more. Retired drives are ... retired and I wonder how many would want to endure a 24 hour race. Imsa drivers would be the best fit, some already drive the LeMans race. I think the point of running a 24 hour race is to show, see, and test what the NASCAR race platform can do.
The confirmation of the Phoenix championship date next year pretty much confirms they’ll only have one off week again next season, so it would definitely be tough for an active driver to make unless they get weird with the schedule. Retirees would make sense.

The idea of Jr. pounding down the Mulsanne gives me some pause with his concussion history though.

do we know the lemans and nascar dates ??? i think they will stick with hms drivers past and present

If Nascar is serious about it's pledge to make this a collaborative effort between the three current OEM's, then all three should be represented on the driver list.
100%...and everything about the car should be a collaborative effort. Everything. Thank you and good night.

100%...and everything about the car should be a collaborative effort. Everything. Thank you and good night.
No and hell no. I would launch. I get ****** pissed when KFB is spotted in that '57 lesser marque.
So 'everything' should be a collaborative effort except the drivers?

It's probably just me but these consecutive posts appear a bit hypocritical. Maybe I just need more sleep...

It's probably just me but these consecutive posts appear a bit hypocritical. Maybe I just need more sleep...
No you are spot on I saw it last night but you know what they say about arguing with walls

No, everything....Take the badges off of it, and replace them with the NASCAR Logo as this is supposedly a NASCAR effort.

But Chimmie will be battling for an Indycar championship.

Priorities.

do we know the lemans and nascar dates ??? i think they will stick with hms drivers past and present
June 10-11 for Le Mans. Test day June 4. An exemption is possible, but I’m not sure you want to show up to practice without any prior running even if you could get one.

Very generous. Mr. H's idea? Not so much.
I didn't say sharing data was his idea but the car is, so it's gonna be a Chevy. "Your" Toyota will learn a lot more about it if they'll let guys drive it, and I don't think they'll care if you defecate adobe building blocks.

It was Jim France’s idea, tbf.
Acknowledged. My point remains that Toyota will learn more about this car if it tries to get a driver in it. Insisting Hendrick share knowledge makes sense but not wanting Toyota drivers to get seat time is counter productive.

Of co, this assumes they get an opportunity.

I didn't say sharing data was his idea but the car is, so it's gonna be a Chevy. "Your" Toyota will learn a lot more about it if they'll let guys drive it, and I don't think they'll care if you defecate adobe building blocks.
No quotes necessary. They don't need to care. I do.

Oh look....It's says NASCAR is joining 24 Hours.....Hendrick effort @Charlie Spencer?
What would you call it when one team is handling everything to do with the car itself? Name another team that's involved with building this car, or another manufacturer. Having NASCAR involved doesn't make the car any less a Hendrick Chevy. It sure ain't a JGR Toyota or a Penske Ford. But go ahead and tell yourself it's something else if it lets you get to sleep at night.

It's not. Does his buying a '57 Chevy take away a sale from Toyota? It's not like he was either going to buy that or a new Sienna
There is a reason why the OEM provides cars for their drivers. Remember the pissy fit Ford threw when Danica was seen getting out of Ricky's Chevy getting to the track? The thinking is that it does just that. He is provided a very nice Lexus LS F Sport among other things. Also has a FJ XL with a Lexus GX drivetrain and electronics being built....The GX and electrical components gifted to him by Toyota. I do understand that drivers have other things....I just don't like it....I am an OEM fanboy. KFB is a Toyota man, and that is how I want to see him.

Back
Top Bottom