Nascar can't go a week without making fools out of themselfs

Luck is determined largely by skill, of which the NASCAR executives do not have.

Exhibit A:

What better way to connect with fans than insult them? NASCAR's default method of dealing with any sort of controversy is a whirlwind of denial and doubling down on whatever terrible decisions they make.

How no one has ever told Steve to log off is beyond me.

I've seen some people asking him why Bubba was allowed to play football with the fans during the delay, in which case I think they have a good point. Red flagging for lightning in the area is a good call by itself but at that point the fans should evacuate the stands entirely and head to the concourses (which are significantly improved at DIS now anyways). Otherwise, what's the point.

Lot's of opinions. maybe some legitimate gripes...maybe not. But at the end of the day it may be of some consolation to know....or not.... that I'm still leading the Pick 'Em 2019 contest.
dance.gif
1nanner.gif

I'll lap it up while I'm still able.
pound.gif

Last edited:
How no one has ever told Steve to log off is beyond me.

I've seen some people asking him why Bubba was allowed to play football with the fans during the delay, in which case I think they have a good point. Red flagging for lightning in the area is a good call by itself but at that point the fans should evacuate the stands entirely and head to the concourses (which are significantly improved at DIS now anyways). Otherwise, what's the point.

They're all incompetent. Steve's boss is as incompetent as he is. It starts from the top to the bottom, and we all know the great example Brian has set...You're totally right about the whole football thing. If it's in the name of safety, why the f*ck do you allow a driver to run around the track ON FOOT when he'd be safer in an actual car? Not to mention the fan aspect as you mentioned.

The original tweet that triggered Steve is hilarious. I'm actually convinced that Steve thought Hemric's 'form' was good :XXROFL:

I seem to remember a couple fans killed by lightning at Dover several years ago. It was a gamble pitting at the 1 to go mark -- there was always the chance they would have to go back yellow -- debris falling from one of the partially wrecked cars, power failure,etc.
I think they (Nascar) uses a weather service feature that reports lightning strikes and where they occur.

here ya go this will help ya to get it right
NASCAR fans at Pocono Raceway were advised over public address systems and through social media to take cover when lightning and heavy rain hit the track near the end of the race.
Your point is what? The race was called and the people were in the parking lot...if the race was not called, would Brian Zimmerman be alive today? We will never know, but a sad situation due to an act of God in which we apparently have no control over...unless of course racing becomes a reality TV type thing.

"The victim was in or near his car in a parking lot after the race had ended when lightning struck the car, Monroe County Coroner Bob Allen said"

I mean its something every week they do and make them look like fools and they made plenty dumb calls today.

1.screwed Kurt Busch out of a win knowing they was not going back green and lied to him.

2.starting the race at 1pm knowing it was noway they get done before the t storms pop up.should started it at 11 am like someone with some sense would do.

3.also stupid lightng rule.I know this is not Nascar fault but that if not for that we would had got this race in before the rain came.

also Haley has got to be one of the most undeserving Cup wins of all time.Biggest fluke I've even seen.
1. At the time NASCAR was doing its best to try to finish the race, which is what most fans desire. NASCAR had no way of knowing the timing of that second lightning strike. And NASCAR does not promise wins to any driver.

2. NASCAR has to work with TV schedules because of their contracts. There was no way to know exactly when thunderstorms would pop up. If they hadn't had that big wreck at the end they probably could have finished the race.

3. The lightning rule is for customer safety - both racers and spectators. It would be business suicide to ignore lightning in the area when the track grandstands are made out of aluminum and your customers are fully exposed.

1. At the time NASCAR was doing its best to try to finish the race, which is what most fans desire. NASCAR had no way of knowing the timing of that second lightning strike. And NASCAR does not promise wins to any driver.

2. NASCAR has to work with TV schedules because of their contracts. There was no way to know exactly when thunderstorms would pop up. If they hadn't had that big wreck at the end they probably could have finished the race.

3. The lightning rule is for customer safety - both racers and spectators. It would be business suicide to ignore lightning in the area when the track grandstands are made out of aluminum and your customers are fully exposed.

I know, most of us know, but, ya know.;)

Still think the lighting rule is the biggest bunch of crap ever and shows how soft we have become.I miss the good ole days when we was tough and did'n cry and get offended about everything.
Smart people always take cover when there is lightning in the area. That's how smart fans become old fans.
Sounds like you're the type who is complaining and getting offended...

and for the ones ignorant of lightning and grousing about the storm was moving away (like lightning has a preferred direction)

From AccuWeather:
Lightning can strike at a distance of 10 miles from a storm, making it imperative to head to safety as soon as the sound of distant thunder roars.

grousing about the storm was moving away

NOAA had it at over 10 miles away by the time the cars were parked on pit lane...the radar from NOAA indicated the storm had moved away from the track, not towards it. The window of opportunity was there to try and finish the race. If not, why not postpone the remainder until weather warranted it? Like they used to do much more often...like back in the heyday of the sport?

NOAA had it at over 10 miles away by the time the cars were parked on pit lane...the radar from NOAA indicated the storm had moved away from the track, not towards it. The window of opportunity was there to try and finish the race. If not, why not postpone the remainder until weather warranted it? Like they used to do much more often...like back in the heyday of the sport?

sorry you and a few others had a problem with it. There is a post on the race thread saying how and why Nascar made their decision. Maybe you and a few others can get together and start your own heyday back in the day racing series.

The amount of people throwing tantrums over yesterday's result. Unreal.... get a hobby, a lady or stop watching. Why watch something that ruins your afternoon that badly? I wasnt happy with the decision yesterday either but because NASCAR started the race so late ( maybe due to TV I dont know) they were at the mercy of weather. But it happened its over, onto to Kentucky to see what everyone else will complain about. Doesnt it get old complaining?

3.also stupid lightng rule.I know this is not Nascar fault but that if not for that we would had got this race in before the rain came.
A race is not as important as someone's life. Most major sports have that policy. We're seeing more and more games delayed because of this. A person can be struck by lightning even if it's miles away, hence the policy.

It's VERY BEST. They were 'all hands on deck' for longer than they should have been imo. Hmmm I wonder why?

It was great racing until the big wreck that really screwed up the flow of things. We were on track for a great finish, I felt satisfied in the end. I was shocked when I saw the final results, but safety is paramount more than ever. Lightning is no joke, I'd hate anything bad to happen to anyone. NASCAR has to make sure people are able to get back home in one piece as well. Same for the teams because no one needs to be hurt in something avoidable such as lightning.

I wish I would have stayed, but had obligations at work needing to be met.

??? The "heyday" of the sport was 1992-2006, and I know for a fact they didn't come back the next day and finish the race if it was past halfway.

??? The "heyday" of the sport was 1992-2006, and I know for a fact they didn't come back the next day and finish the race if it was past halfway.
I would have picked 1960 through 1979, but that is me. Once TV got heavily involved, that is when the half way thingy really took off.

The amount of people throwing tantrums over yesterday's result. Unreal.... get a hobby, a lady or stop watching. Why watch something that ruins your afternoon that badly? I wasnt happy with the decision yesterday either but because NASCAR started the race so late ( maybe due to TV I dont know) they were at the mercy of weather. But it happened its over, onto to Kentucky to see what everyone else will complain about. Doesnt it get old complaining?
People can be mad about what went down and still carry on with their lives man. It's not black and white. You can't polarize or over simplify something as complex and nuanced as human emotions

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I miss the days when this forum wouldn’t bitch over everything that happens and start pointless threads to complain and moan all week about it until something happens the next week to complain about, and so on. NASCAR to the best of their ability tried to get the race fully finished and unfortunately that that didn’t happen and we got a winner who probably didn’t deserve to win, but so what, it’s not that big of a deal. What is the point of bitching and bitching about something that in end no one will care about a week from now. Who knows at this point
Agree with all you said. I am wondering why I even bother to log on.
Other than to complain. :)

Agree with all you said. I am wondering why I even bother to log on.
Other than to complain. :)
Be glad you remembered we were here.

I think the whimpering level has declined quite nicely.

People can be mad about what went down and still carry on with their lives man. It's not black and white. You can't polarize or over simplify something as complex and nuanced as human emotions

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It’s simple to me when there are 3 threads on here less than 12 hours after the race bitching about the same thing

For those that didn't think it was a good idea to stop the race when it was lightning, I present this video that shows a lightning strike that left a cloud and struck somewhere else.

I guess I could see the frustration if there was like 50-60 laps left and a more competitive field. Literally 4 cars didn’t have damage and we would’ve had a restart with about 20 to go. Then people would’ve complained the race went single file to the finish lol

For the record, I understand having to stop the race for lightning.

I just find it hard to believe that there was no lightning within an 8-mile radius for 30 minutes prior to the "one to go" call. The storm was a mile or two north of the track at the time.

That's why I felt Kurt Busch got screwed. But, considering there were storms in the immediate area, Kurt's team could've stayed out on track like Justin Haley's team did.

Under slightly different circumstances, rain could've stopped the race instead of lightning.

So, congrats to Justin Haley and his team for winning!

Back
Top Bottom