Nascar Drivers In Busch Races

H

Highboy90

Perhaps this has been brought up before. I was going to ask the other day but was reminded to do so while watching todays race.

I never understood why NASCAR drivers were eligible to run in a Busch race. I know it's good experience for the younger drivers but then again, when a NASCAR driver wins, it's takes $$$ from the younger teams that need it more. It's also an advantage to the teams that run both series.

So, what's your opinion on this?

Originally posted by Highboy90@Mar 1 2003, 05:29 PM
I never understood why NASCAR drivers were eligible to run in a Busch race.
Are you suggesting that we have ARCA or ASA drivers instead? :p

Busch Drivers are NASCAR drivers. I think you mean Winston Cup Drivers. I do not like it.

I liek the idea of them raicng it makes the races better IMO. But I think the Cup guys only get owner points nto driver points in the BGN. That way for teams like the 21 which plan on runnign for the championship will still get the owner points for the finish but Harvick won't get driver points. Lets say Harvick finishes 1rst and Keller is 2nd and wimmer is 3rd. The 21 will get the full 1rst place points for the owner but Keller will get 1rst place driver points and wimmer would get 2nd place driver points etc. But the owner points would still be awarded the way they are now as to where the car finishes. Now for WC drivers that plan on running 3/4 of the season would get awarded all points possible. That way drivers liek T. Bodine could still run for the championship in both WC and BGN.

Does that make any sence to you guys??? :blink:

I think that if the Busch drivers continue to complain about it, NASCAR may step in and possibly limit how many races a Winston Cup driver can race.

Personally, I think they should keep the Winston Cup guys out of the Busch series.

I think they like it because more viewer will watch if the WC guys are in it.

There is nothing wrong with it, it's called extra experience.

Yeah, but if you have been in W.C. for years, like most W.C. drivers in Busch, how much experiance do you need? The Busch drivers need the experiance....... but the Cup guys continue to force them out of races, and they will never get it.

I think it makes the reg. Busch drivers try harder. If you were a Busch driver wouldn't you try hard to out run a Burton, Harvick or Waltrip?

If you were a Busch driver wouldn't you try hard to out run a Burton, Harvick or Waltrip?

I agree, It makes them look better, and more fans might possibly think higher of that one driver after being able to be a Cup series driver.

I have always had mixed feelings about the so-called "Busch-Whackers" but tend to lean towards thinking it is acceptable.

It helps call attention to the series and its drivers. Sometimes I wish the CTS ran more companion races and that the Cup drivers would join the truckers to help promote their show as well. The trucks generally run great races and get poor attention and attendance. Even on the NASCAR boards around the net, seems the trucks are barely heeded.

The Busch regulars need not fear the competition. Its a chance to watch and hone your skills, plus to anyone watching who matters as far as your career, that person is well aware of the circustances. It is more of chance to succeed than it is to fail. Besides if these folks are intimidated by the presence of a WC regular, might be best if they find a new line of work anyways. This is not an easy game, it is not supposed to be.

While I often hear complaints about the Busch Whackers, it seems I rarely hear complaints about the WC stars going off to run in the dirt or on some short track or whatever in even lesser known and ranked series than the BGN. Series like the All=Pro, ASA and others. The folks trying hard at these places are less well financed and experienced than the Busch folks and need those purses even more. Despite that it seems that I usually hear praise for the Stewart's, Eliott's, Wallaces, Schraders, or whoever might take the time to go run one of these events.

Where is the line drawn and why?

Winston Cup drivers have been running in Busch races and other series for as long as I can remember. It has never to my recollection prevented anyone from moving up the ladder. It's a part of racing. If ya wanna be a big time racer, ya gotta run with the big timers.

Not only has this been asked before but it has been BEATEN into the ground, both here and by the media. Cup drivers are already limited as to how many BGN races they can enter and far be it for NASCAR to tell the owners who they can hire for their rides, as long as they have a NASCAR license NASCAR can do little about who sits behind the wheel. Today Jamie MacMurray mentioned that he was running for "owners points" for his team and that they took a beating with the battery failure. Those owners points add up to big sponsorship dollars (except in the case of the #19 team with Tim Sauter, that would be a whole new thread) and that is what keeps the field at or above 43 cars.

T Bird Ro hit the nail on the head too as far as attendance goes, of the 20 or so Busch races I have attended I have noticed that the biggest cheers go up for the Cup regulars whether they win or not. I personally love to see a BGN regular win when there are a bunch of Cup drivers in the field, tho it is not something you get to see very often.

Another opinion that I have about it is that it forces the Busch drivers to step up another level to stay in contention, they know come halfway thru the season that those Cup drivers will have slid back in the points so they could choose to not race them for position at all. They do race them tho and that is for exposure and the right to say "I did better than "so-and-so" and he is a Cup driver!

I know it sounds like I am all for Cup drivers in BGN but actually even though I can understand the logic behind it I dont like it!

Kel

Originally posted by DJFan@Mar 1 2003, 08:37 PM
Cup drivers are already limited as to how many BGN races they can enter
No they are not. Kevin Harvick ran both series in 2001.

I think its fine. Like I've said before though, they need to limit how many drivers make the race and how many races a driver can make. I also liked the idea of starting at the back of the field.

There are positives and negative to having full time cup drivers run busch races. The added attention only helps the series. For each Cup driver that races that is one less busch driver to get sperince.

Maybe they need to tie the number of races allowed to either years of cup experience or maybe to your position in points in cup (either from the current year or previous year).

I think as most Cup drivers get older they will not want to run as many or any races. Such as Mark Martin. I like the fact that Cup drivers own teams and use the team to help there career as well as up and comers.

Back
Top Bottom