"NASCAR fans are against it"

S

stridsberry

http://www.timesargus.com/04/Sports/Story/82498.html
-------------------------------------------------------

SpeedReading: NASCAR fans are against it - Apr. 22, 2004

By Dave Moody

In the world of NASCAR racing, there's only one thing that's guaranteed. Suggest something new, and the fans will be against it.

NASCAR is talking about taking a race away from North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham next season and moving it elsewhere. You know Rockingham, the track that hosts two NASCAR Nextel Cup events every year, despite not selling a race out since the Hoover administration. Rockingham, the track where 15,000 of its 60,000 fans show up each year disguised as empty seats. NASCAR has apparently noticed those empty seats, and now wants to move one of those ill-attended dates to a track where all the seats might actually be filled.

Sound like logical business practice to you? Not to NASCAR fans. They think it's a lousy idea.

There are plenty of reasons why fans say they don't go to Rockingham, Darlington, or any of the other tracks within a three-hour radius of NASCAR's epicenter in Charlotte, N.C. The weather's bad at that time of year. The facilities are run down. It takes forever to get there, and even longer to get out. There aren't enough hotel rooms. The racing's not that good. And besides, they say, they would rather to go that fancy track just up the road at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

And yet, when anyone mentions the possibility of transplanting one of those cold, rainy, unreachable, rundown, non-competitive races to an underserved market in another part of the country, those same fans scream like their pocket has just been picked. "We have a right to all those races," they say. "After all, we're the ones who made this sport what it is today."

The fact that they don't actually attend any of those races is, apparently, irrelevant. "It's tradition," they say. "It's untouchable. It's our right."

It's a load of baloney.

Fortunately, NASCAR's new President, Brian France, seems to agree. Why? Put yourself in his shoes for a moment, and decide which scenario makes the most sense to you; a 60,000 seat track with 15,000 unsold seats, or a 100,000 seat racetrack jammed to the rafters? Not that tough a call, is it?

And yet, the minute France decides to cut his losses and do the smart thing, the gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair will begin. Swap dilapidated old Watkins Glen for a gleaming new road course in Mexico City? "Sacrilege," they'll howl. Move a Rockingham date to Kansas, Chicagoland, Nashville, or Kentucky? "A slap in the face," they'll cry. Build new tracks in the race-starved Pacific Northwest and metropolitan New York markets? Good God, no. The traditionalists will have a seizure.

But honestly, what doesn't send NASCAR fans into a dither these days?

Suggest deep-sixing those antique carburetors in favor of fuel injection? "Couldn't possibly do it," they say, despite the fact that its computerized, its easy to police, and it's half the cost to the teams. After all, carburetors are tradition, and NASCAR is long on tradition.

Freezing the field to prevent racing back to the yellow? The fans hate it, despite the fact that sooner or later, a driver was going to get killed ignoring a so-called "gentlemen's agreement" while racing back to a meaningless yellow flag.

Again, it's tradition. And we love our traditions.

Remember the old points system that rewarded consistency over winning? The fans hated it; told Matt Kenseth he didn't deserve to be champion. The new system that puts more emphasis on winning? They don't like it, either.

Who can blame them, really? It's not what they're used to, after all

Adding more races? They're against it. Subtracting races? Against it. Making no changes at all? They're not too wild about that idea, either. And how about this rousing debate over NASCAR's 43-car starting fields? Not surprisingly, the fans say they hate the practice, due to a new phenomenon called "field fillers" that's been a weekly part of NASCAR racing for more than 50 years. Suggest cutting the number of starters, though, and you'll have an in-box full of venom within 20 minutes. Apparently, they hate that idea, too.

I've begun to think that the average NASCAR fan is against ANYTHING that requires change of any kind. So fine, I know when I'm licked. Let's go back to the traditions that made NASCAR great.

Effective immediately, there will be no more NASCAR Nextel Cup racing at such non-traditional venues as California, Texas, or New Hampshire. NASCAR was born in the Carolinas and the deep south, and by God, that's where it should stay. You New Englanders can start packing your bags, because going to the races just got a whole lot tougher. Plan on packing a lunch, too, because we're tearing down all but one concession stand, and it'll be weeks before you get your hands on a hot dog.

Seats? We don't have seats. We tore them all down in favor of a tiny, splintery grandstand that holds about 1,000 fans, tops. The rest of you can sit in the dirt. Pick a good spot, though, because you don't want to miss all the cars crashing through board fences after their stock passengers tires blow out - eight or nine tires per car, per race - causing their stock fuel tanks to rupture and critically burn a series of drivers wearing nothing but t-shirts. Those that survive probably won't get paid anyway, because I'm pretty sure I just saw the promoter slinking out the back gate with all the money.

Sound like too much trouble to you? Well, don't plan on staying home to watch the race on television, because we're going back to the traditional way of doing things in that department, too. Four times each season, ABC's "Wild World of Sports" will broadcast the first 15 laps of a race, before cutting away to the Acapulco Cliff Divers. Following that, it's Chris Schenkel and PBA Bowling from DuQuoin, followed by a quick update from the track, showing a couple of crashes on tape. "Curling from Calgary" is next, then back to Darlington for the final 10 laps, a 30-second interview with the winner, then "so long" for six weeks or so, until the next televised event.

Tradition. Ain't it great?

Ain't it the truth!!!

Pretty good article, thank you for posting it. :cheers:

Thanks for posting the article Strides!

I would also like to add that you show maturity and wisdom far beyond your years. There are some who should learn a few lessons from you.

There will always be some segment of a large population base against something. I would say that nascar "fans" make up a large population base. A very vocal population base, mind you. So, yes, one would expect to hear opposition to changes. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Having considered myself to be a nascar fan at one time or another, it is probably not only unfair, but also inaccurate to say nascar fans, as a whole oppose all changes.

Cases in point, how much uproar did we hear when alloy cylinder heads were approved? How about when the cars were allowed to become "tube chassis" cars? What about the re-admitance of Mopar into nascar touring series? The head and neck restraint deal? Roof flaps? Softer walls? Other aero changes to keep the cars on the ground during high speed spins?

All of that, for the most part, came without much protest.

I say this flies in the face of the article's author. On the flip side, changes imposed that have been made well after the fan base voiced opposition is just asking for protest.

For example, what perecntage of the fan base rejoiced at the possibility of the new non-playoff, playoff, chase for the championship? Not to many.

Also, how many have voiced their displeasure at the thought of taking race dates away from such tracks as the Rock and Darlington. A lot. Oh, but that's right, no body was attending. It was more cost effective to build bigger, newer, nicer facilities elswhere ad move races. Right? Must be.

You wonder what it would have cost to conduct a study or two to isolate and address the attendance problems at two of the best racing tracks in the country. Unless of course, the tracks were just "fall guys" in the way of geographical expansion.

Anyhow, back to the point at hand. Should the author of the story be surprised about fan protest, when the fan base was opposed to a change prior to it's institution...and then the change is implemented?

No. Only an idiot would think otherwise. I say the author is an idiot, lacking substance and blowing hot air.

Aww, but Windsor you forget the average fan is not familiar with the technical and mechanical side of the sport........your mention of changes involving the internal workings of the engines is not fair to bring up. Neither are the other safety issues.......those things are pretty obvious for most people to understand. The moving of race dates or leaving a track behind is something most don't understand............so they throw out the "traditional" argument. Had this sport remained "traditional" for the last 25 years, it would be dead. Not dead completely, but dead as far as what the sport is today (and what the sport was 10 years ago). There would be a dozen or so tracks in the Southeast that had a couple NASCAR races every month or so for a fan base of avid stock car enthusiasts..............Saturday night at the races down at Hickory, North Carolina. Most people outside that North/South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia region would look very quizzical when asked if they attended NASCAR races.

The author may not be 100% correct on his article.........but he's more right than wrong.

DE W very well stated.

You're pretty smart for a DE fan. LOL

Haha............not all of us are bone heads!! :D Some are...........but every driver has those!! :cheers:

Thanks...........we gonna see ya next Sunday at California? :D

LOL! So you agree he picked up last weeks pay check for simply re-stating the obvious, while hiding obvious traits common to all of us failing humans?

Originally posted by Windsor377@Apr 25 2004, 09:24 PM

Also, how many have voiced their displeasure at the thought of taking race dates away from such tracks as the Rock and Darlington. A lot. Oh, but that's right, no body was attending. It was more cost effective to build bigger, newer, nicer facilities elswhere ad move races. Right? Must be.

You wonder what it would have cost to conduct a study or two to isolate and address the attendance problems at two of the best racing tracks in the country. Unless of course, the tracks were just "fall guys" in the way of geographical expansion.

All other issues aside, it would have made dang good "business sense" if it were even considered. JMO

Originally posted by kat2220+Apr 25 2004, 09:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kat2220 @ Apr 25 2004, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Windsor377@Apr 25 2004, 09:24 PM

Also, how many have voiced their displeasure at the thought of taking race dates away from such tracks as the Rock and Darlington.&nbsp; A lot.&nbsp; Oh, but that's right, no body was attending.&nbsp; It was more cost effective to build bigger, newer, nicer facilities elswhere ad move races.&nbsp; Right?&nbsp; Must be.

You wonder what it would have cost to conduct a study or two to isolate&nbsp; and address the attendance problems at two of the best racing tracks in the country.&nbsp; Unless of course, the tracks were just "fall guys" in the way of geographical expansion.

All other issues aside, it would have made dang good "business sense" if it were even considered. JMO [/b][/quote]
I agree, it could have made good business sense if expansion wasn't nascar's goal. I really think the tracks were falls guys in the way of expansion. Addressing any of their issues would have been counter to expansion.

Its about time Rockingham lost a race. Don't get me wrong I think its one of the best tracks thats very rich in competition and tradition but if no ones going its pointless to stay there and lose money. You have to remember that Nascar is no longer with a company that will sit and wait something out they want results and money fast. Nascar no longer caters to the people that made it famous. The people who were there and who made it one of the top sports in the nation. The People who would come to the race a week early and spend literally all there money just to see their favorite driver. Instead they are going out west to cater to fair weather fans that will drop nascar like a bad habit when its no longer the next big thing. It Sucks but its the Truth.

Originally posted by Tommy29@Apr 29 2004, 04:04 AM
Its about time Rockingham lost a race. Don't get me wrong I think its one of the best tracks thats very rich in competition and tradition but if no ones going its pointless to stay there and lose money. You have to remember that Nascar is no longer with a company that will sit and wait something out they want results and money fast. Nascar no longer caters to the people that made it famous. The people who were there and who made it one of the top sports in the nation. The People who would come to the race a week early and spend literally all there money just to see their favorite driver. Instead they are going out west to cater to fair weather fans that will drop nascar like a bad habit when its no longer the next big thing. It Sucks but its the Truth.
Quite an authority on these things aren't you?

I've been going to NASCAR races 30 years before you were born. There's a lot more like me and many older than me that live on the west coast that are avid NASCAR fans.

You are the "Newbie Fan" to me. How long you been a fan? Less than 10 years is my guess, and listen to yourself. Whining, complaining thinking "YOU" are the only real fan in the world. My bet would be YOU will be one of the "Newbie Fans that's packed up and long gone in the next 10 years.
I'll still be here watching racing, and if all forms of racing collapse by GOD I'll go out, paint and number tumbleweeds and watch them race in the wind.

Just out of curiosity, do you really believe that only NC people ever went to races there? My parents planned vacations and took the whole family back in the 50's and 60's same as people do to day. Those stands were filled with people from ALL over the country. Because of the roads, equipment and stuff like that it made sense to have the shops and tracks in relativly close proximity. BUT if NASCAR had to live just off NC, SC, GA, VA & FL people to go to all them races they would have starved to death and folded up years ago.

The fact that the author says that The Rock and Darlington are noncompetative leads me to believe that he has never watched a race at either track. The Rock happens to be my favorite track. Just because I understand the move doesn't mean I have to like it.

Originally posted by Eagle1+Apr 29 2004, 04:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eagle1 @ Apr 29 2004, 04:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tommy29@Apr 29 2004, 04:04 AM
Its about time Rockingham lost a race. Don't get me wrong I think its one of the best tracks thats very rich in competition and tradition but if no ones going its pointless to stay there and lose money.&nbsp; You have to remember that Nascar is no longer with a company that will sit and wait something out they want results and money fast.&nbsp; Nascar no longer caters to the people that made it famous. The people who were there and who made it one of the top sports in the nation. The People who would come to the race a week early and spend literally all there money just to see their favorite driver.&nbsp; Instead they are going out west to cater to fair weather fans that will drop nascar like a bad habit when its no longer the next big thing.&nbsp; It Sucks but its the Truth.
Quite an authority on these things aren't you?

I've been going to NASCAR races 30 years before you were born. There's a lot more like me and many older than me that live on the west coast that are avid NASCAR fans.

You are the "Newbie Fan" to me. How long you been a fan? Less than 10 years is my guess, and listen to yourself. Whining, complaining thinking "YOU" are the only real fan in the world. My bet would be YOU will be one of the "Newbie Fans that's packed up and long gone in the next 10 years.
I'll still be here watching racing, and if all forms of racing collapse by GOD I'll go out, paint and number tumbleweeds and watch them race in the wind. [/b][/quote]
I have been a Nascar fan for about 13 years when I saw Derick Cope win the Daytona 500 after Dale Earnhardt cut a tire on the last lap while leading. I watched almost every race since then. So don't ever call me a newbie. Thats great you've been a fan for over 30 years and you feel its necessary to tell people that are younger then you that fact. Believe me no one cares. I hope it at least brings you comfort that you feel you have some sort of seniority over all Nascar fans cause your older than some people. Please do me a favor and like your post said go out and paint some tumble weed and watch them race and don't bother me. By the way I am better than you!

On a lighter note, a funny story about the race that tommy29 mentioned: A friend who just happened to be a huge DESr fan and also lucky enough to draw his name from the pool, was literally dancing around the living room during the closing laps of that race. Not only was DESr finally gonna win Daytona but my friend was gonna win a couple hundred dollars. One can imagine his dissapointment on that last lap. I'm quite sure he mumbled something about @#$%^&* piece of an old ford transmission. Priceless.

I've been reading this thread since Strides posted. There have been some good opinions expressed concerning the resistance to change we NASCAR fans have. I guess I haven't stated my opinion yet....well, sort of since I generally agree with the author's assessment. But, I thought I'd try to explain a little more about what I see as the cause of this recent uproar about changes. By recent I mean the the last 4 or 5 years. But I can't do that without going back on my experiences.......so don't take what I'm saying as "I'm better than anyone because I've been following the sport longer than someone else". Or I'm not "qualified because I haven't been around long enough". Or, perhaps my biggest complaint: "I haven't lived in the region of the country where it all started and therefore I just don't understand the 'tradition' involved". I simply take exception to statements like:
Instead they are going out west to cater to fair weather fans that will drop nascar like a bad habit when its no longer the next big thing.&nbsp; It Sucks but its the Truth.
And I'm pretty sure others feel the same......it's only natural.

I can agree that it's recent rapid growth of the fan base of NASCAR that perpetuates the "uproar" within the ranks. There are a lot of "newbies". And the Frances' and management of NASCAR are catering to that portion of the fan base. And, it's been going on for a lot longer than just the last 4 or 5 years. There have been changes every year.........and changes to the changes during the year........since I've been a fan. And there probably was the same amount of resistance to each and every change (proportionately). But now, NASCAR has come closer to it's goal of becoming the premiere motor sport in the world...........and I truly believe that has been NASCAR's goal since it's inception nearly 60 years ago. Along with that goal comes media coverage. And with media coverage comes opinions and arguments about what's right or wrong about the sport............where it's headed, and why. But, really it's just hype......it's not new at all. But it gets coverage and now that we have so many fans (both old and new) we get different reactions. Basically, it's two sides of the story. The "old, traditional way" and the "new, visionary way". But, it's my opinion (and I don't care if you agree or not) that there isn't two sides........it's the same story from day one of NASCAR. It's always been "visionary"............or the "new" way. Sure there is tradition..........tradition of change. And that's why I argue that the changes are good for the sport. The "newbies" are good. The "old timers" are good. There are differing opinions........which, for the most part, are good. Resorting to the stereotyping of portions of the fan base only creates hard feelings (that part is not good). Yeah, there are "newbies" that are just in it because it's the newest thing to be into. But, there are also "old timers" that just hanging around to be angry about this invasion of "their" sport. Who cares how many races any one fan has attended? Who cares how long you've been watching or following the sport? Who cares what part of the country you live in or grew up in? Who cares who your favorite driver is? I find it interesting to know the answers to each of those questions but, it doesn't alter my opinions.......it does, however, effect how I may respond to any given poster. Especially if I feel they have placed me in a group of the fan base that is "looked down upon".

And for the record (to either qualify me or disqualify me for stating my opinions....depending on which side of the fence you may fall on):
I've been following and watching NASCAR since 1979.
I've been and remain an avid Dale Earnhardt (Sr) fan since 1980.
I've attended 4 (and day after tomorrow, it'll be 5) races in person.
The only track I've been to for NASCAR races is California Speedway.
I don't particularly care for open wheelers........though I have watched. But not recently.
I was a big drag racing fan when I was in high school.......went to lots of drag races in person.
I am currently a Dale Earnhardt Jr fan (though not nearly as avidly as I was a Dale Earnhardt fan).
I've never driven a race car.
I'm thankful for ESPN in furthering the sport.
I'm thankful for R.J. Reynolds for their nearly 30 year support for the sport.
I'm thankful for the France family for their insight and devotion to building the sport to what it is today.
I love the sport.
I love to argue my point.
I don't like personal assaults (the "open" bashes.........and the "not so open" bashes. What I call "gentle bashing").
And finally, I don't understand the NASCAR hate machine that is very often active........mostly from the "old timers" (if you don't like the sport and it's sanctioning body, then why spread your hatred to us who do?)

So, as I stated in my very first post on this thread, it's a good article. It's more correct than wrong. And I don't think it's anything new.

Back
Top Bottom