NASCAR mandates larger hood bolts

W

Ward Burton

JOLIET, Ill. -- NASCAR on Friday issued a technical bulletin to Winston Cup teams stating that hood tethers must be attached to the hood plates using a minimum of 5/16 in. diameter hex head bolts with heavy duty, large diameter washers and lock nuts.

The provision comes in response to an incident in the late stages of last Saturday's Pepsi 400 in Daytona, in which the bolt holding the tether to Robby Gordon's hood failed. The hood subsequently flew off the car and into the stands, injuring a female fan.

NASCAR spent the week analyzing the data and information from the incident and determined a minimum bolt size was necessary to prevent similar instances in the future.

Prior to now, there was no required minimum bolt size on hood tethers.

NASCAR issued a similar bulletin regarding rear deck lids, which now must also be secured by 5/16 in. diameter bolts.

These new requirements take effect this weekend at Chicago.

I thought I read somewhere that Robby's hood wasn't bolted and that is why it flew off. Does this mean the bolts actually broke?

Dee, I have been hearing that the bolts broke. I guess that is why the new mandate is being put into place. :wacko:

Originally posted by majestyx@Jul 11 2003, 02:50 PM
Dee, I have been hearing that the bolts broke. I guess that is why the new mandate is being put into place. :wacko:
Okay, I hadn't heard that. All I had heard was the assumption that the crew did not fasten them after they worked on the car. Makes sense if why they are doing it.

I heard on totally Nascar the other night that the 31 team did everything to Nascar Specs the bolts just broke.

I heard from a good source that Todd Bodine took those bolts out on the 31 car ;)

Back
Top Bottom