NASCAR needs timed finishes

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
I figure I'd stir the pot here. The Brickyard 400 was fantastic, but 4+ hours for 400 miles? In the age of baseball using pitch clocks, college football amending OT and first down rules, it's time for NASCAR to add a timer to races. I do think exceptions should be given for rain delays, but overall it would help provide a solid window for teams & fans that folks know is approaching. It also helps cap a crazy amount of overtime restarts

I don't care if its a good show how long it is. It's just when its boring and silly OT restarts that it gets ridiculous. I can watch a lot more of the Rolex 24 or the Chili Bowl than 4 hrs straight as the broadcast and racing is generally pretty good.

What if, instead of OT, they stopped counting caution laps within the last 3-5% of the race distance? Full disclosure, I've put about 5 seconds of thought into this, so there are likely plenty of reasons why
I wish they didn't count caution laps at all. It would save us from watching them run the laps down following the pace car especially at the end of the races to the green white checker. It would make them drop the flag and race instead of lolygagging around running down the laps.

But on the other hand, you would watch golfers run long doing playoff rounds all day long.
1. Golfers on playoff holes are just the ones tied for the lead after regulation, not everyone who's laps ... er, strokes behind. The guys in the back aren't going to affect the outcome.

2. Golfers (and viewers) don't have to wait ten minutes after each playoff hole while millions of dollars of wrecked equipment is cleaned up.

3. They won't lose the ability to be competitive because they had to stop after a playoff hole lest they run out of golf balls or wear out the grips on the clubs.

4. The officials make rulings on the playoff holes with the same standards as they do the first holes. There's no 'This is a playoff hole; let's see how it plays out before we make a decision. '

5. But mostly, golf ain't racing.

6. When golf restarts play after an interruption, it doesn't have golfers playing unscored holes pointlessly while the officials add extra holes at the end.

7. Frankly, I wish there was a shot clock in golf.

8. See #5.

Oh, and I never said I wanted to run to a scheduled time. I said the networks and DVR-dependent might.

No
doorslam.gif

9. Golf has its own network. If a tournament runs long or is bumped to another channel on Sunday, I can watch the final round on Monday, including any extended finish; DVR settings, political announcements, or assassination attempts be damned. There are rare exceptions for tournaments that NBC Golf doesn't have rebroadcast rights too, but those aren't many.

I am also against it but I would not at all be surprised if there's time limits in the next 5ish years. TV would love it. No more worrying about TV windows.

Time limits do exist in the short track world, not as much as, say 20 years ago, but still around.

Sure. End the race at a pre-determined time. If they don’t complete all of the laps in the allotted time slot then the finishing order will be set by a lottery system. That could be fun.

You probably liked it when college football games ended in a tie with no OT?
A race that ends at the scheduled distance isn't a tie. If it's under caution, someone was leading when the flag was thrown.

I've never followed college football so I have no clue how they handle ties, currently or previously. Golf, football; can we stick to the topic?

You probably liked it when college football games ended in a tie with no OT?
Ya know what? I'll play along.

Ending a race at the scheduled distance under caution isn't the equivalent of a football game ending in a tie. It's the same as a leading team kneeling on the snap for the last three downs to run out the clock.

Ending a race at the scheduled distance under caution isn't the equivalent of a football game ending in a tie. It's the same as a leading team kneeling on the snap for the last three downs to run out the clock.
People want to see three cars side by side crossing the finish line. Anything to try to make that possible is going to happen. Why don't you turn off your TV when the "regular" time whenever you think that is for the race to be ended has expired instead of whining about the race being too long? I can't speak for the others, but you seen kind of weird? lol. :idunno:

The NFL isn't run by Real Geniuses, who would absolutely ban the victory formation and ensure that the last play of the game is always a Hail Mary.

instead of whining about the race being too long?
I don’t recall doing that. I said I'd 'be delighted' ending at the scheduled distance, but I didn't say anything about 'too long'. I'd prefer Butter Pecan ice cream but Vanilla is good too. A preference for one option isn't an automatic rejection of all the alternatives; I'm not a politician.
I can't speak for the others, but you seen kind of weird?
You're just now figuring that out? :XXROFL:

I don’t recall doing that. I said I'd 'be delighted' ending at the scheduled distance, but I didn't say anything about 'too long'. I'd prefer Butter Pecan ice cream but Vanilla is good too. A preference for one option isn't an automatic rejection of all the alternatives; I'm not a politician.

You're just now figuring that out? :XXROFL:
There ya go..scheduled distance, pop off that station the second that happens. We'll tell ya the ending...as we see it of course, and then you can pick the best story of the ending from your favorite tellers. easy peasey :idunno:

I am for timed cautions with a countdown clock. Give NASCAR up to 5 minutes to clean up an accident and then throw the green. Back to "timed races" I am not a fan of this idea. I can remember looking forward to the 500 mile race at Dover because it almost always took 5 hours, with a bit of pre and post race activity...loved it.

I'm trying not to arouse the man-boys here, but there are those who live life and watch Nascar, and there are those that life happens around watching Nascar. I'm sure there is a man-boy in there somewhere...my apologies.

There ya go..scheduled distance, pop off that station the second that happens. We'll tell ya the ending...as we see it of course, and then you can pick the best story of the ending from your favorite tellers. easy peasey :idunno:
You've again overlooked the word 'ending' in 'ending at the scheduled distance'.

I am for timed cautions with a countdown clock. Give NASCAR up to 5 minutes to clean up an accident and then throw the green. Back to "timed races" I am not a fan of this idea. I can remember looking forward to the 500 mile race at Dover because it almost always took 5 hours, with a bit of pre and post race activity...loved it.

Yeah, who cares if half the track is covered in oil, send em back out there! That won't lead to a other caution!

Run the scheduled distance (no GWC), single file restarts for the entire race. No stage break cautions, just work in the commercials, the networks will ensure they are not missed.
Just revert everything back to 2003 then? The stands and TV ratings say that what we had then was working.

Yeah, who cares if half the track is covered in oil, send em back out there! That won't lead to a other caution!
Exactly, that's what I love about that idea. If they can't get the track completely clean just bring out the fire truck and hose blast the track down!

Back
Top Bottom