NASCAR needs timed finishes

Endless ‘overtime’ restarts - which are more akin to the trialed Elam Ending in basketball than annything else in traditional sports - are frustrating, but I hardly think the solution is timed events.

College football’s new OT format sucks. Whatever time has been saved from monkeying around with that (and other clock rules in the game) has been more than made up for by the commercials accompanying the new bazillion-dollar TV deals in the sport. I wouldn’t say that’s been a solution to much of anything.

Formula 1 races are time-limited.
I kmow and it wouldnt be the worse thing in the world as long they dont skimp to only two hours.

But the logistics or rebranding would be hell without those magical Four or Five or Six Hunderd names.

It would just be:
The Daytona
The Darlington
The Charlotte
The Dover
etc..
It would just feel hollow.

I kmow and it wouldnt be the worse thing in the world as long they dont skimp to only two hours.

But the logistics or rebranding would be hell without those magical Four or Five or Six Hunderd names.

It would just be:
The Daytona
The Darlington
The Charlotte
The Dover
etc..
2 hours it is, not to include time spent under a red flag.

If red flag(s) are lengthy, total time cannot exceed 3 hours.

I don't like races that end under yellow. Five overtimes to settle a race is ridiculous. There needs to be a happy medium.

It would just be:
The Daytona
The Darlington
The Charlotte
The Dover
etc..
In 2023, 25% of all races ended in OT, which means they went past the 400/500 mile or lap mark the name of the race likely carried. In addition, there are plenty of races which have ended early due to weather. I don't think establishing a 4 hour time limit for a 500 mile race is an impossibility if that was something NASCAR was interested in doing. But I also don't think that there is much interest in it, and the posts here in this thread reiterate that to me. The people who watch NASCAR like NASCAR by and large the way it is.

Didn't it used to be 3 attempts at a GWC then the race ended? They should go back to that.

Races would be at least half an hour shorter if there were no stage racing cautions. Races would be a lot more entertaining too strategy-wise, but that all makes way too much sense

Yeah, who cares if half the track is covered in oil, send em back out there! That won't lead to a other caution!
At the end of the race it don't matter because the idiots will crash anyway. I think owners need to give some thought to this. Is it worth wrecking a car just to gain one finishing position higher? I doubt it because most lose positions because of accidents and the other just go to the garage anyway.

Back
Top Bottom