NASCAR Pick 'Em 2017 - Atlanta

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
For anyone who failed to make a pick last week and is still interested in getting into the game, it's not too late.

The deadline to begin participating in the game has been established as the fourth race of the season (Phoenix).

However, you'll get the maximum points for any race that you don't make a pick (fewer points is better).

Keep in mind that last year virtually every player, including the guy who won the game, missed making a pick in at least one race.

The deadline for making your pick for Atlanta is Friday, March 3rd, noon Eastern time.

For any potential players who might have missed the introductory first thread:

Game Description

The premise of the game is simple.

Each week, each player picks a driver for that week's race. Points are awarded to each player based upon where his pick for that week finished.

1st place finish = 1 point . . . . 40th place finish = 40 points, with all finishes in between awarded appropriately.

The game's season championship is awarded to the player that has the fewest points after the 36th and final points race.

What makes the game challenging is that a player may pick a particular driver for one, and only one, race during the course of the season.

Official Rules

1 - Each week, each player picks a driver for that week's race.

2 - Picks must be made by the Friday before race day, noon Eastern time, via private message to me (pjmolo). An initial pick may be changed provided the change is made prior to that week's deadline.

3 - The title of the private message should read "NASCAR Pick 'Em 2017." The message should read, "Name of Race Location - Driver Pick." Following confirmation of the pick, a player's subsequent picks should be made using the same conversation.

4 - After the noon Friday deadline, players' picks are official and will be made public by way of a post to the board prior to the beginning of that week's race.

5 - After a player picks a driver, that player cannot pick that same driver again for the remainder of the season.

6 - A player will be dropped from the game following his failure to make a pick (NO PICK) for four races.

7 - If a player does not make a pick, picks a driver that does not start the race, or picks a driver that was previously used, the player will be awarded 41 points for that week.

8 - If a player picks a driver that does not start the race or picks a driver that was previously used, it will not count as a "NO PICK."

9- Only the 36 points paying races are included in the game, meaning races such the Clash, the Daytona Duels, the Showdown, and the All-Star Race are not included.

10 - For each race, players will be awarded the number of points equal to the finishing position of their pick for that race.

11 - The awarding of points will be based upon NASCAR's official race results. Any attempt to initiate a "Chase" points reset at any point during the season will cause the game to self-destruct immediately.

12 - The game champion will be determined by the player with the lowest amount of points after the 36th and final points race. In the event of a season points tie, the game champion will be awarded to the player with the most "1st place" picks, then the most "2nd place" picks, etc. until a champion is decided.

13 - There is no restriction as to the number of players allowed to participate in the game. Because there is no restriction as to the number of players, there is no need to officially register. Simply make a pick each week to be included.

14 - Keeping in mind that a player will be dropped from the game after making a "NO PICK" for four races, the deadline to begin participating in the game has been established as the fourth race of the season (Phoenix). Any player that doesn't make a pick until the fourth race will be awarded 41 points for the first three races and will be dropped from the game if another "NO PICK" is made during the remainder of the season.

Player picks and driver finishes to date:

~ Pick'Em Picks to Date.jpg

Still need picks from a number of players (as well as all youse guys that appear to not have the cajones to get in the game).

Deadline for the Atlanta pick is tomorrow (Friday, March 3rd), noon Eastern time.

Success !

All players from last week, along with several new players, have got their picks in on time.

For anyone else looking to get in the game, rules can be found in the first post of this thread.

I'll post the complete list of players and their picks later today.

Deadline for the Atlanta pick is today, noon Eastern time.

Partially as a result of a somewhat aggressive recruiting campaign, we've added 4 players to the game since last week, including a couple of knuckleheads that were in it last year.

Welcome to the fold, fellers.

Last week, the driver picked by the most players (Waltrip) ended up with the best finish (8th).

This week, the driver picked by the most players is Kasey Kahne. :eek:

Anyways, there's some interesting strategy playing out only two races into the season.

~Atlanta Picks.jpg

Good Luck and Happy Motoring !

I wouldn't say so much interesting as I ran out of good drivers last year

One week in and I'm 20 points behind. Lol typical. Come on AD, need a big day out of you.

Awe man what the ****? Dude was P5

I dropped to ninth but it was expected. I think the three mouseketeers conspired to pick Khane. :confused:

Well, if that don't beat all.

Two weeks of picks and two weeks where the driver picked by the most players had the highest finish.

Congrats to the five players who picked Kahne, Atlanta's 4th place finisher.

Congrats also to @francibastiglia who went from being tied for 1st place last week to sole possession of 1st place this week. Not too shabby . . .

~ Pick'Em Standings.jpg

Newman killed me with that late penalty. That was looking to be a great pick all weekend.

So as not to let anyone get too discouraged two races into the season, last year the guy that finished the season in first place had 51 points after the first two races.

He ended the season with an average of 14 points per race which includes a week that he failed to make a pick.

So as not to let anyone get too discouraged two races into the season, last year the guy that finished the season in first place had 51 points after the first two races.

He ended the season with an average of 14 points per race which includes a week that he failed to make a pick.

I ended the chase pretty strong last year

And I screwed up and never picked Keselowski last year.

And I screwed up and never picked Keselowski last year.

All that and he still took overall top honors.
:cheers:

Anyone with half a brain would have picked Waltrip at Daytona. You need 36 drivers, and there aren't 36 quality drivers out there. Sure, he's an @ss, but Mikey has a knack for the plate races, and it's a one-off drive, so you pick him for Daytona or not at all. Picking Michael Waltrip at Daytona allows you to complete the season without ever picking (insert name of hopeless driver here) at all.

It is so obvious. So why didn't I pick Mikey? I guess I have LESS than half a brain.

Congrats to @francibastiglia for his great start. I'll have a bottle of Etna Rosso with my spaghetti...:D

Back
Top Bottom