NASCAR Pick 'Em - 2021 Playoffs

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
Seeing the responses to the "First Four Out / Final Four Predictions" thread, I got to wondering if anyone might be interested in participating in a fantasy game that involves picking the drivers that advance through each round of the playoffs.

Before the start of the Darlington race, each player would submit the 12 drivers that they expect to advance past the round of 16.

After the Bristol race when the 12 remaining drivers are determined, each player would then pick the 8 drivers that they predict will advance past the round of 12.

Same idea when picking who among the remaining drivers advances past the round of 8 to the final four and again when picking the season champion.

Players would get 1 point for first-round correct predictions, 2 points for second-round correct predictions, 3 points for third-round correct predictions, and 4 points for correctly picking the champion from the final four. The player with the most points after the championship race gets a virtual trophy and bragging rights.

Picks posted in the "First Four Out / Final Four Predictions" thread could be used or new picks could be submitted before the start of each playoff round.

If you're interested simply "like" this post and if enough are up for it I'll start a new game thread.

Welp, I'd definitely be picking @Snappy D and @Turtle84 for the Final Four, I can tell ya right now. Them two are hardwired into the Nascar Gods, no doubt.

:bazooka:

(Just kidding, I know that's not how @pjmolo intends this new game to work.)
long way to go. Taking it one pick at a time, hope I get max value out of each pick.

Seeing the responses to the "First Four Out / Final Four Predictions" thread, I got to wondering if anyone might be interested in participating in a fantasy game that involves picking the drivers that advance through each round of the playoffs.

Before the start of the Darlington race, each player would submit the 12 drivers that they expect to advance past the round of 16.

After the Bristol race when the 12 remaining drivers are determined, each player would then pick the 8 drivers that they predict will advance past the round of 12.

Same idea when picking who among the remaining drivers advances past the round of 8 to the final four and again when picking the season champion.

Players would get 1 point for first-round correct predictions, 2 points for second-round correct predictions, 3 points for third-round correct predictions, and 4 points for correctly picking the champion from the final four. The player with the most points after the championship race gets a virtual trophy and bragging rights.

Picks posted in the "First Four Out / Final Four Predictions" thread could be used or new picks could be submitted before the start of each playoff round.

If you're interested simply "like" this post and if enough are up for it I'll start a new game thread.
this is awesome. count me in.

To date, there have been at least a dozen positive responses to a PLAYOFF PICK 'EM game, primarily from current players of the season-long PICK 'EM game.

Interestingly, only two of the responses came from those who posted in the "First Four Out / Final Four Predictions" thread. go figure

To get things rolling, players must first submit, by private message to me, the 12 drivers that they predict will advance past the Round of 16.

The deadline for submittal of first round picks is one hour before the scheduled start of the race at Darlington, i.e. Sunday, September 5th @ 5:00 p.m. Eastern.

Predictions for the 8 drivers that advance past the Round of 12 then need to be submitted after the end of the first round (Bristol race) and before the start of the second round (Las Vegas race).

Predictions for the 4 drivers that advance past the Round of 8, and for who wins the championship, will work the same way.

As explained in the first post of this thread, players will get 1 point for first-round correct predictions, 2 points for second-round correct predictions, 3 points for third-round correct predictions, and 4 points for correctly picking the champion from the final four.

Predictions will be posted prior to the start of each round while prediction results and point standings will be posted after the end of each round.

The player with the most points after the championship race will receive a virtual trophy and gets eternal bragging rights.

Mr. Commissioner, have you announced the tiebreaker mechanism yet? May I suggest... for the grand finale in Phoenix, players would submit all four names in ranked order of their predicted Phoenix finish. Only the first place picks count *unless* there is a tie for the Pick 'Em Champion. If two or more players are tied based on your 1 point-2 points-3 points-4 points accumulation, then whichever player picked the correct Phoenix winner would win the tiebreaker... But if still tied, whoever picked the second finisher would get the nod... etc.

Altenatively, in the case of a tie after all four rounds, whoever scored the most points in the fourth round is the winner. If still tied after that, whoever scored best in the third round... etc. (This alternative seems more simple but maybe less spicy.) (On second thought, I think this mechanism is best... KISS.)

Mr. Commissioner, have you announced the tiebreaker mechanism yet? May I suggest... for the grand finale in Phoenix, players would submit all four names in ranked order of their predicted Phoenix finish. Only the first place picks count *unless* there is a tie for the Pick 'Em Champion. If two or more players are tied based on your 1 point-2 points-3 points-4 points accumulation, then whichever player picked the correct Phoenix winner would win the tiebreaker... But if still tied, whoever picked the second finisher would get the nod... etc.

Altenatively, in the case of a tie after all four rounds, whoever scored the most points in the fourth round is the winner. If still tied after that, whoever scored best in the third round... etc. (This alternative seems more simple but maybe less spicy.) (On second thought, I think this mechanism is best... KISS.)

irwin corey.jpg

The esteemed @LewTheShoe brings up an interesting possibility.

That is, a points tie among two or more players after the Championship race at Phoenix.

Therefore, after the final Round of 8 race at Martinsville, each player must submit the names of the Final Four drivers ranked in predicted Phoenix finishing order.

In the event of a tie for the most points after the final race, if only one player among those tied players has picked the season champion, that player is game champion.

If, among those players tied for the most points, more than one of those players has picked the season champion, then those players' predicted finishing order will be compared to the drivers' actual finishing order, one position at a time.
Essentially, the process is the first method suggested by @LewTheShoe. :cheers:

Twelve drivers left in the hunt after tonight's Bristol race.

Doesn't look anyone in this group will come away with 12 correct picks but then again . . . . :idunno:

The deadline for players to submit their pick of drivers to advance to the Round of 4 is Sunday, October 17th, 1:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Three points will be awarded for each correct pick in this round.

Picks for the third round:

playoffs - 4 picks.jpg

With the Cup championship now to be decided among the remaining Final Four drivers, each player must submit the names of those drivers ranked in predicted Phoenix finishing order.

Any player that correctly picks the Cup champion will be awarded four additional points.

The player with the most points after the Phoenix race is game champion.

In the event of a tie for the most points after the final race, then among those players tied for the most points, the player that is most accurate in ranking the finish of the Final Four drivers is game champion.

Current spreadsheet:

playoffs - 4 results.jpg

The deadline for players to submit the names of the Final Four drivers ranked in predicted Phoenix finishing order is Sunday, November 7th, 2:00 p.m. Eastern time.

It's suggested that picks be submitted via private message. :dirtbike:

Picks for the championship round:

playoffs - champion pick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom