NASCAR Pick 'Em 2022 - Martinsville

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
The deadline for submittal of driver picks for the next race is Sunday, October 30th, 1:30 p.m. Eastern time.

3 - #34 current standings.jpg
X - tie-breaker after #34.jpg

I posted earlier in the pre-race thread about my anger and disappointment over Rick Hendrick's attempt to manipulate the race and the 2022 championship. But I'm reiterating my objections here, because I had saved Chase Elliott for this race in the NASCAR Pick 'Em game.

Joe Gibbs did the same thing in 2018. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. Two wrongs don't make it right. It flaunts the100% rule and is a blatant attempt to manipulate the outcome. Shame on Hendrick. Shame on NASCAR for not preventing this.

As a protest, I am 'parking' the 9 car for the last two races in my Pick 'Em selections. I've already used the other HMS cars, so too late to 'park' them too. My new selection this week is H. Burton in the 21 car... a driver I had planned to not use this year.

I posted earlier in the pre-race thread about my anger and disappointment over Rick Hendrick's attempt to manipulate the race and the 2022 championship. But I'm reiterating my objections here, because I had saved Chase Elliott for this race in the NASCAR Pick 'Em game.

Joe Gibbs did the same thing in 2018. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. Two wrongs don't make it right. It flaunts the100% rule and is a blatant attempt to manipulate the outcome. Shame on Hendrick. Shame on NASCAR for not preventing this.

As a protest, I am 'parking' the 9 car for the last two races in my Pick 'Em selections. I've already used the other HMS cars, so too late to 'park' them too. My new selection this week is H. Burton in the 21 car... a driver I had planned to not use this year.

A long-standing, though never before enforced, unwritten rule of the NASCAR Pick 'Em game is that a player's pick for a given race is not to be revealed, by game management or by an individual player, to other players prior to the start of that race.

Therefore, you have been penalized 100 points, to be added to your score, and fined $10,000.

As is NASCAR tradition, the infraction penalty can be appealed.

Good luck with dat. :cool:

Some obvious stuff. 70 points is probabaly the magic number for position inprovements or losses for the rest of season. 36 entries today and assuming the same next week would equal a maximum of a 35 point differential or swing per race for all starters.

There are are still 9 teams with a mathematical chance but it will be exponentially difficult for those outside of the top five. They must be able to gain points on @Spotter22 and @Head423 today in order to enter the the Phoenix finale within 35 points of the lead and maybe even down to 34 points based on any required tie breakers. They will have to use their best push rods for a great Martinsville result and they also need some helpful bad luck for the current leaders today.

@pjmolo is the best commissioner anywhere, anytime.I have seen and this a great league. There are no equalizing gimmicks or mulligans and the winner definitely has to be the best picker of all.
I hope we have at least four of five teams entering next weeks race with a chance to win it all, it will be a lot of fun seeing how it ends. The final results for this league will be more interesting to me than Nascars actual results.

Some obvious stuff. 70 points is probabaly the magic number for position inprovements or losses for the rest of season. 36 entries today and assuming the same next week would equal a maximum of a 35 point differential or swing per race for all starters.

There are are still 9 teams with a mathematical chance but it will be exponentially difficult for those outside of the top five. They must be able to gain points on @Spotter22 and @Head423 today in order to enter the the Phoenix finale within 35 points of the lead and maybe even down to 34 points based on any required tie breakers. They will have to use their best push rods for a great Martinsville result and they also need some helpful bad luck for the current leaders today.

@pjmolo is the best commissioner anywhere, anytime.I have seen and this a great league. There are no equalizing gimmicks or mulligans and the winner definitely has to be the best picker of all.
I hope we have at least four of five teams entering next weeks race with a chance to win it all, it will be a lot of fun seeing how it ends. The final results for this league will be more interesting to me than Nascars actual results.
pjmolo is hands down the best. He doesnt just run the game he goes beyond that with the analysis he posts throughout the season. I look forward to picking every week, its very fun and I agree, I'm more vested in this than the actual Championship :)

A long-standing, though never before enforced, unwritten rule of the NASCAR Pick 'Em game is that a player's pick for a given race is not to be revealed, by game management or by an individual player, to other players prior to the start of that race.

Therefore, you have been penalized 100 points, to be added to your score, and fined $10,000.

As is NASCAR tradition, the infraction penalty can be appealed.

Good luck with dat. :cool:

I am sorry if I have violated some custom that I was not aware of... :dunce: To be honest, I don't know if you are joking, but if not then I appeal. First, I mentioned a minor "C" driver, in the 35th week, when every player's strategy is already firmly settled.

Second, I agree there are unwritten rules in sports, but there are no unwritten rules that have never been enforced. By definition, unwritten rules evolve and come into existence as a result of long-standing enforcement. When a batter "shows up" the pitcher... he will get some chin music in return. If I drive you dirty... you'll put me in the fence... etc. Without that enforcement, there is no unwritten rule. And there have been occasional posts about who someone has picked posted before the race, without complaint or warning or any enforcement.

So I claim "no harm, no foul" as well as ex post facto, stare decisis, and writ of mandamus... not that I know exactly what those are...:dual9mm:

Finally, and I've said this before... I agree with what @Greg said... you are a first rate league commissioner, and this incident does not change my opinion on that...:cheers:

/Lew

^ Now I am completely embarrassed. You're a damn sight better at Commissionering than you are at comedy, I can tell you that! As for $10,000 fines, we are used to such trivial irritations at LewTheShoe Racing. A couple lugnuts here, a couple lugnuts there, it's nothing to a big time race team like us. But the sponsors pay for POINTS. We can't be losing them.

I just wanna know how it’s Manipulation? There’s not any rule saying that the pole sitter has to take the first stall. Did he do it to help Chase? Probably. But no rule against it. Now if they want to make a rule that you get the box that goes with where you qualify, then I would be fine with that. But I mean no rule was broken.

The NASCAR Cup Series put on a show for the ages with the running of the Xfinity 500 at Martinsville Speedway.

The Pick 'Em game's most popular driver pick, selected by seven players, was 10th place finisher Chase Elliott.

The "Highest Finishing Pick" award went to @Head423, @Old 97, and @Conover thanks to their pick of the second place finisher, Kyle Larson.

The "Most Upward Movement" award went to @Conover and @kkfan91 as they each moved up two positions in the standing.

However, the real story following the Martinsville race is the unprecedented battle for the Pick 'Em game championship.

For the first time in the history of the game, with one race remaining there is a two-way tie for first place with @Spotter22 and @Head sharing the top spot heading into the Season Finale 500 at Phoenix.

Not to be counted out entirely are @Mr Excitement and @RayinTX as they haven't been mathematically eliminated from championship contention.

Also, it's possible that the championship tie-breaker standings could come into play in determining the game's championship.

Looking at the drivers that each of those four players has left to use in the finale leaves one scratching their head in trying to determine who the betting favorite will be.

Let's go racing boys !!!

2 - #35 results.jpg

Congrats to all involved in the title fight still, what a treat its been watching those in the top 5 battle it out.

Back
Top Bottom