NASCAR Pick 'Em 2023 - Phoenix

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
Driver pick submittal deadline: Sunday, November 7th, 2:00 p.m. Eastern time.

3 - current standings #35.jpg

4 - used list #35.jpg

I’m pretty low in the standings this year.
But I did actually save Byron to use here in pickem at Phoenix, thinking he would win the year and of course that was also a long term strategy to know I would make the most of that pick if I was right. So that could still be a silver lining in my pick ‘em season.
Of course obviously my strategy was off as much as James Small’s has been

To elaborate on that strategy since the season is pretty much over now, if I had not already used certain drivers before they won a race etc, I saved them for the playoffs where you know they will bring their best and, that you you also have more of a sample size for which type of playoff track each of them has been strong on etc.

The championship is a settled but hypothetically (based on a potential 36 point swing per race)
2nd thru 6th could flip
3rd thru 7th could flip
4th thru 8th could flip
5th thru 9th could flip
6th thru 11th could flip
7th thru 13th could flip
8th thru 14th could flip
9th thru 15th could flip
10th thru 18th could flip
14 thru 20th could flip
16th thru 21st could flip

Some shake ups could still happen. Best wishes and good luck to (except for those in positions 10 through 15th and positions 18th through 21st.

In hindsight, I should have picked Gragson early on, leaving me with a better choice for today...
Let's go Racing..

Congratulations to @Truex_rox, he gets the value pick of the week award following Chastain's victory.

I get runner up in the final standings yet again. I had a resurgence during the playoffs, which helped me get podium. This is the fourth time in five years that I finish top 5 in the standings.

Congratulations to @Head423 on going back-to-back. He put on a clinic this year on how to make good picks.

Finally, thank you @pjmolo for running this amazing game. Looking forward to next year.

I didn't trust the wheel when it picked Preece over Logano but it was right

Congratulations to @Truex_rox, he gets the value pick of the week award following Chastain's victory.

I get runner up in the final standings yet again. I had a resurgence during the playoffs, which helped me get podium. This is the fourth time in five years that I finish top 5 in the standings.

Congratulations to @Head423 on going back-to-back. He put on a clinic this year on how to make good picks.

Finally, thank you @pjmolo for running this amazing game. Looking forward to next year.
Thanks I appreciate it. I look forward to battling wits with you all again next season. The drive for 3 starts in February

The NASCAR Pick 'Em game survived another season and, except for the shouting, it's all over for 2023.

A recap of the Phoenix race, the final standings, and an Awards Banquet announcement will be posted ASAP.

Thank You @pjmolo
Congrats @Head423
Congrats to @Head423 !!
Thanks @pjmolo for your dedication.
Looking for redemption next February!
Congrats Head! Great season.

And thank you so much to @pjmolo - you give us so much by running this game, we truly appreciate your work.

Thanks for all the fabulous props, youse guys make it all worthwhile.
:cheers:

Congratulations to @Truex_rox for taking the "Highest Finishing Pick" award thanks to the first place finish of his pick, non-championship contender Ross Chastain, in the NASCAR Cup Series Championship race at Phoenix Raceway.

For the first time in 10 years of the elimination Playoff format, the NASCAR Cup Series champion failed to win the title race.

The "Most Upward Movement" award went to @Jorge De Guzman and @Spotter22, as they each gained three spots in the standings.

The "Slipping & Sliding" award was taken by @Magicmiler and @LibertyU24 when they each dropped three spots.

Big time congratulations to @Head423 for winning the NASCAR Pick 'Em Championship for the second consecutive year, having clinched the title after the next-to-last race, at Martinsville.

The game's podium positions went to @JJ_14 and @RayinTX while @Magicmiler's pick from the bowels of the driver list, 34th place finishing Ryan Newman, knocked him from the podium to fifth place in the standings.

Late season top ten positions in the standings were claimed by @Jorge De Guzman and @DC76 while @Old 97 and @Mr Excitement lost their prominent positions at the Awards Banquet.

Speaking of which, final preparations are now being made for yet another grand spectacle. :dirtbike:

2 - results #36.jpg

I may be wrong but I believe the tiebreaker goes to best pick of the most recent or last race.
I think @pjmolo posted a reminder a few months ago and will clarify it all very soon.

Also congrats to @JJ_14 for his podium finish...what's the tiebreaker for 2nd? Most wins? I had 6...

Upon perusing the game's rules, it's safe to say that only a tie for the Championship is covered by a tie-breaker mechanism, that being the most picks of a race winner.

15 - In the event of a points tie among two or more players atop the leader board at season's end, then the game's championship will be awarded to the player (among those players) that had the most first place picks.

That being said, game management has determined that the six first place picks made by @RayinTX dwarf the two made by @JJ_14 and, therefore, @RayinTX is entitled to the second podium position.

It's good to be King. :beerbang:

I may be wrong but I believe the tiebreaker goes to best pick of the most recent or last race.
I think @pjmolo posted a reminder a few months ago and will clarify it all very soon.
I stand corrected (refer to post 27)

Thanks to @pjmolo for running this and congrats to @Head423 on his championship.
Also congrats to @JJ_14 for his podium finish...what's the tiebreaker for 2nd? Most wins? I had 6...
Thanks to @pjmolo who I believe to be the GOAT when it comes to being a league commissioner.
Thank you @pjmolo once again for the hard work and fun you put into this game. It is such a great part of this on-line community!
I’ll add my thank you to @pjmolo for running this game so well for so many years.
Congratulations Head423
thanks again @pjmolo

As the continuing stream of props begins to overload the local telegraph line, game management considers creating a type of award, to be presented at the upcoming Awards Banquet, that only itself is qualified to receive. :cool:

Thanks again for doing this...I'm already working on a new asinine strategy for next year that will again see me finish midpack

The NASCAR Pick 'Em 2023 Awards Banquet started off as a quiet affair when this year's players got together at @Greg's place to enjoy fine food and drink.

banquet.jpg

The gathering proceeded in a quite civilized manner that included the presentation of the Champion's Plaque to @Head423 for the second consecutive year.

2022 Pick 'Em champion plaque - 525.jpg
2023 Pick 'Em champion plaque - 525.jpg

However, after a few of the boys stepped out for some smokables, only to be followed by several girls in need of something more intoxicating . . .

boys smoking.jpg
girls drinking.jpg

. . . the banquet livened up a bit when @JJ_14 made what can only be described as the "value pick" of the evening.

dance party.gif

Back
Top Bottom