NASCAR race at Richmond that sold 112,000 tickets a decade ago is now struggling to sell 30,000

It's because their ticket prices are out of the water. Them removing their decently proved Henrico Grandstand didn't help either. A nice shade seat on the front stretch (in the commonwealth or capital sections) was $110.

Richmond lost my families $'s when they continued to force us to purchase tickets for all race events held there. This included the IRL races at the time. Haven't been back since. While one of my favorite venues, greed forced us to remove that track from our schedule.

It's because their ticket prices are out of the water. Them removing their decently proved Henrico Grandstand didn't help either. A nice shade seat on the front stretch (in the commonwealth or capital sections) was $110.

Nascar fans seem to be the biggest pussies when it comes to weather as people cry that it is too hot or too cold. Close to 80K don't mind showing up to Lambeau Field or other pro or college stadiums to watch pigskin. I have been to Soldier Field a few times with the cold wind whipping off the lake and it is invigorating!

I wish someone had a simulator that would show what Nascar would look like today without its current TV contract.

been to Soldier Field a few times with the cold wind whipping off the lake and it is invigorating!

Must be part Canadian. :D
It is 37F right now and I will be going for my walk after this coffee. :partytime

Nascar fans seem to be the biggest pussies when it comes to weather as people cry that it is too hot or too cold. Close to 80K don't mind showing up to Lambeau Field or other pro or college stadiums to watch pigskin. I have been to Soldier Field a few times with the cold wind whipping off the lake and it is invigorating!
Yep, I've been to Lambeau with wind chill at 0, my face freezing off, and loving every minute, but NASCAR fans bitch about going to Bristol in April because it might be in the 40s. I've got one word to describe that and I'm going to spell it out S-A-W-F-T

F*** that s***.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Would it be worth it to just have a single "NASCAR's Decline" thread stickied at the top of this forum? We could just post all these weekly articles and discussion there instead of creating 50 threads/year about it.

Would it be worth it to just have a single "NASCAR's Decline" thread stickied at the top of this forum? We could just post all these weekly articles and discussion there instead of creating 50 threads/year about it.

I like it and then we could have a separate one for all the people that live to complain about others complaining. For the most part I have enjoyed the racing this year but I am so far out of the proper demographic it doesn't matter what I think.

Call it whatever you want but I don't have any desire to sit outside watching a NASCAR race in 40 degree temps with a strong wind in my face. Been there, done that..... several times. Didn't enjoy it.

Too hot..... That's a different story. A few ice cold beers followed by an ice cold water repeated several times throughout the event takes care of the heat for me.

Loudon, day after Thanksgiving 2001, Warmed up to low 50's...
Damn it was chilly....

You have to admit that Nascar race attenders are the biggest whiners when it comes to weather as if it is below 70 it is cold and over 80 is hot.
Sorry, but I'm apparently missing that whining. I read a lot of comments complaining about the whining, but very little whining itself.

And you have to admit you'd much rather be at Soldier Field at 75 degrees and light breeze instead of 12, wind chill of -4.

Richmond lost my families $'s when they continued to force us to purchase tickets for all race events held there. This included the IRL races at the time. Haven't been back since. While one of my favorite venues, greed forced us to remove that track from our schedule.

Daytona tried that also and then went back to pick what you want.

The 2010 Daytona 500 was coldest race I've ever sat through, and the 2011 Indy 500 was the hottest. In both cases your miserable.

As far as Richmond, once again ****s for brain sabotaged what was once a popular race, by moving the race to Sunday afternoon, and tearing out the cheap seats. Next year the stands will look like an xfinity race at a mile and a half'er.

I normally do not pay attention to the grandstands, but, during the first segment there was a shot coming off 4 down the front stretch that had me :blink: o_O looking at the empty seats, sad site for sure.

You talk about a HOT race, back in the day (as Choc says), at the Firecracker and then Pepsi 400 during 4th of July in the old grandstands in the afternoon, now I am gonna told ya, that was a miserable hot, Hi humidity, no breeze 90+ degrees.
We stopped going until it became a night race, since then have had reserved seats every year, here is a picture of our current seat location view.

20160701_190726_resized.jpg

20160701_212743_resized.jpg

Not really crying here, some people's health can degrade from excess heat and can result in heat exhaustion or a stroke. It's not really being scared, it's just a safety precaution.

I've sat in blistering 100 degree Daytona weather - tailgated in it for 8+ hours actually - didn't care.

Sat in 37 degrees way up in the tower seating with wind to watch the duels two February's ago - didn't care

Tailgated in 45 degree with rain two years in ago in Atlanta - didn't care.

In each case, I was well aware of the weather forecast in advance, especially in Daytona's case. I dressed and prepared accordingly and it was a non-issue. You're watching an outdoor sport, therefore you should know you're at the mercy of whatever mother nature throws your way. You give up the right to be 100% comfortable.

Sorry, but I'm apparently missing that whining. I read a lot of comments complaining about the whining, but very little whining itself.

And you have to admit you'd much rather be at Soldier Field at 75 degrees and light breeze instead of 12, wind chill of -4.

I have not read of any whining on here at all and I am sorry to have given that impression. I have read articles where fans have been boo hooing because it is too hot or too cold at the track for them. I would prefer to see any outdoor event where it is cooler as I can always get warm but can't always get cooled down. Also I do much better in a cold climate and with a pair of Carharrts and the great cold weather clothing they have these days you don't have to get as bulked up.

I've sat in blistering 100 degree Daytona weather - tailgated in it for 8+ hours actually - didn't care.

Sat in 37 degrees way up in the tower seating with wind to watch the duels two February's ago - didn't care

Tailgated in 45 degree with rain two years in ago in Atlanta - didn't care.

In each case, I was well aware of the weather forecast in advance, especially in Daytona's case. I dressed and prepared accordingly and it was a non-issue. You're watching an outdoor sport, therefore you should know you're at the mercy of whatever mother nature throws your way. You give up the right to be 100% comfortable.
I've been in similar conditions.

I won't say I didn't complain.

I will say it didn't stop me.

I've been in similar conditions.

I won't say I didn't complain.

I will say it didn't stop me.

I think being prepared is the main thing. For years I went to the real Southern 500 and knew it was going to be hot and humid so I started with extra hydration a week in advance and didn't drink any alcohol on race weekend. There were people passing out all over the place and having to go for an IV but because I knew what was in store I knew what to do.

Never been too hot or too cold at an NFL game or a race. February or September races at Richmond, never missed one.

Enjoyed many hours at Harbor Park watchin' the Tides 'n sweatin' my fool a$$ off. Be makin' a few trips this comin' summer. The heat's just part of it.

You talk about a HOT race, back in the day (as Choc says), at the Firecracker and then Pepsi 400 during 4th of July in the old grandstands in the afternoon, now I am gonna told ya, that was a miserable hot, Hi humidity, no breeze 90+ degrees.
We stopped going until it became a night race, since then have had reserved seats every year, here is a picture of our current seat location view.

View attachment 26314

View attachment 26315
In the eighties I used to drive over and meet friends every July when the second Talladega race was run. I vividly remember one time being so hot that we gave up on the cooler full of adult beverages and supported the popcicle vendor after just a few laps. Only time in my life I remember it being to hot to drink two or twelve cold beers.

I find it funny how apologists in the low attendance thread blame the weather/better tv coverage, apologists in the tv ratings thread blame social media. What will you blame when we find out no one is watching on social media either? Brian France has killed the Golden Goose. The retirement of Junior and the insane fake caution system may well be the final death knell.

I thought about going to Richmond yesterday with a friend. Looked at ticket prices on Saturday night and the cheapest available seats were $80.

I was paying $90 for tickets 10 years ago when the place sold out.

To be honest I keep forgetting the Richmond race in the spring is now a daytime Sunday race

That Martinsville race Ricky Rudd won and needed oxygen, lemme tell you, it was packed that day and HOT. Our whole entourage was drained after that one. It didn't help that we drank about 15 Budweisers each.

Lower these ticket prices a little bit more. I really don't think many tracks/ovals with obstructed views at the bottom of the grandstand should be anything more than $20-$60 depending on the track.

Some tracks do not need 2 dates I guess. Richmond is a great track, and don't want to see it lose a date from a racing standpoint.

It seems to me that in most cases half a loaf is better than no loaf at all so tracks like Richmond would do well to heavily discount blocks of seats in order to put butts in the stands. As I have mentioned before have a good amount of free tickets for our service men and women and also distribute tickets to outfits like the Boys and Girls Club in order to cultivate tomorrow's fan.

When you look at any event with terrible attendance relative to seating capacity the perception for many people is that the whatever event is taking place must suck because "nobody" showed up to see it. Do you think tracks like Richmond could survive without the stupid money being thrown at them via the stupid TV contract? I think it is likely that some of the tracks will not be able to afford to hold cup races once the money spigot is shut off but we are still several years away from that happening.

I don't understand why folks still buy tickets from the track. The secondary ticket market is your friend as it reflects the actual value of the ticket and not the inflated box office price. Also, with the poor attendance, its wise to just buy the cheapest ticket and move up. I went to Martinsville, paid 40 to sit in 3 &4 and moved up about 15-20 rows to have a better view.

I don't understand why folks still buy tickets from the track. The secondary ticket market is your friend as it reflects the actual value of the ticket and not the inflated box office price. Also, with the poor attendance, its wise to just buy the cheapest ticket and move up. I went to Martinsville, paid 40 to sit in 3 &4 and moved up about 15-20 rows to have a better view.

That makes sense as just because the face value of a ticket is $90 doesn't mean you have to pay anywhere near that amount.

I thought about going to Richmond yesterday with a friend. Looked at ticket prices on Saturday night and the cheapest available seats were $80.

I was paying $90 for tickets 10 years ago when the place sold out.

Bingo...anyone who lives in the southeast has plenty of options to attend a race where ticket prices are more reasonable such as Charlotte, Atlanta and Martinsville. As much as I like Atlanta it really got to me back in the day when the cheapest front stretch ticket was $99.

I prefer to buy from the track ticket office, but on occasion have bought from the sleazeballs acting like race fans selling tickets at the track. One year I got sold a bad ticket...lesson learned. For me it is one thing to buy from someone who just happens to have an extra ticket or two, but the really aggressive scalpers turn me off.

Back
Top Bottom