NASCAR safety

If you think about it, thru the years we’ve (at least me) always worried that driver’s door side crashes would have the most negative outcome.
Monday we had that happen in the worst kinda of way.
2 days later Ryan walks out of hospital!

kudos to the NASCAR safety designs, keep them coming!!!

Agreed. I assume you mean Daytona and Talladega, but I will add Pocono and Indy to that list. I have been saying for nearly 20 years that the next fatality in NASCAR will be due to the pit road entrance wall at those tracks...there needs to be something done about that

I agree with Andy on this. But I will say this, how much longer before the drivers demand something be done about the plate races? Most drivers hate them and now one of their own is injured.

I would not be surprised if Ryan says "F this" and no longer runs the plate races. He's absolutely right about having been involved in more airtime crashes than anybody else

Forgot to add, the pit walls at pocono, indy, michigan, fontana arn't really that dangerous. There are PLENTY of energy absorption water barrels and structural attenuators at the edge. Remember the Watkins incident?

Actually, Watkins Glen is almost as dangerous as a plate track.

Forgot to add, the pit walls at pocono, indy, michigan, fontana arn't really that dangerous. There are PLENTY of energy absorption water barrels and structural attenuators at the edge. Remember the Watkins incident?

Actually, Watkins Glen is almost as dangerous as a plate track.

This was inches away from being devastating. The placement of the pit walls at Indy and Pocono are absolutely dangerous. It’s only a matter of time.

gh4rd75b1uh41.jpg

A bunch of pansies right?

Ryan Blaney thought he might have killed Newman. Racing now in days is so pussified. We still have drivers losing the ability to walk or stand, yet we still call modern day racing pussified.

Okay then.
From Bubba:

Got to spend some time with YRB yesterday. He's holding up, of course devastated and bummed about the situation. Had to sit there and explain to him, could've happened to him or any of us in the field. It's RACING. Just unfortunate to be on either end of it. We of course "next day quarterbacked" it and looked at the what ifs but there are only 40 of us that truly understand the intense spur of the moments this sport throws at us. I know Ford should be proud to have him under their banner because he was so content On pushing his Ford teammate to win the biggest race of the year. Which makes it worse bc a simple selfless gesture went south in the blink of an eye. I encouraged him to stay off social media for a bit. His head is in a decent spot. Keep sending my little brother some love!

I think the camera came in about the same time they strengthened the footwells after Kyle's wreck

Here is an opinion from one of the drivers about Super Speedway racing who was involved in the wreck with Newman.

LaJoie said the crash happened so fast, he had no chance to avoid Newman’s car.

“It was crazy how fast it happened,” LaJoie said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “People don’t realize how much it hurts when you hit something that hard that fast.”

LaJoie also said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio that he doesn’t think changes need to be made to the type of racing seen at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway.

“I’m comfortable,” he said. “It’s what you sign up for. There’s an element of danger. Like I was explaining to someone the other day, you’re trying to make a 3,600-pound piece of metal go 200 miles an hour, sometimes you’re going to have bad crashes.

“I think it’s a testament to what NASCAR is learning and trying to keep these cars safe because that was the worst, the worst, angle of a crash, the worst area of a car to get hit on Monday night the way Ryan was and for him to be literally to be walking out 36 hours later, why would we change what many would consider the best form of racing that we have in the superspeedways?

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/corey-lajoie-ryan-newman-ryan-blaney-nascar-daytona-500/

Here is an opinion from one of the drivers about Super Speedway racing who was involved in the wreck with Newman.

LaJoie said the crash happened so fast, he had no chance to avoid Newman’s car.

“It was crazy how fast it happened,” LaJoie said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “People don’t realize how much it hurts when you hit something that hard that fast.”

LaJoie also said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio that he doesn’t think changes need to be made to the type of racing seen at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway.

“I’m comfortable,” he said. “It’s what you sign up for. There’s an element of danger. Like I was explaining to someone the other day, you’re trying to make a 3,600-pound piece of metal go 200 miles an hour, sometimes you’re going to have bad crashes.

“I think it’s a testament to what NASCAR is learning and trying to keep these cars safe because that was the worst, the worst, angle of a crash, the worst area of a car to get hit on Monday night the way Ryan was and for him to be literally to be walking out 36 hours later, why would we change what many would consider the best form of racing that we have in the superspeedways?

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/corey-lajoie-ryan-newman-ryan-blaney-nascar-daytona-500/
Race Car driver

You guys found something to argue about where none exists.

My most hearty congrats. You’re all as bad as I am.

More from the above article

LaJoie noted that two extra bars, referred to as a Newman bar, to reinforce the window could have been pivotal in this crash.

“I kind of thanked him for flipping at Talladega over (in 2009) because if it wasn’t for that visor bar, that second roof bar that they put in after that crash that Ryan had, I told him, I said, we would have been able to split the ambulance fare because I would have been right there next to him … there was no telling how bad it could have been,” LaJoie said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio of what he told Newman.
“I think the previous crashes and the advancements that the R&D Center and the guys at NASCAR have made to make the car safer through that wreck is what really kept him and I both safe.

Reactions: Pat
You guys found something to argue about where none exists.

My most hearty congrats. You’re all as bad as I am.
Hell I just made a comment, then all of a sudden Im saying Tony and Carl arent race car drivers. Who knew

I’d love to argue but someone has locked me in the closet.

I’d love to argue but someone has locked me in the closet.
one of these days you will come out..It's OK :D Excited about him racing in the Truck series? probably better to stay in the closet unless you are that blunderbuss Rev :p He would jump for joy if he was racing kindergartners in 1/4 midgets

It's almost like Lajoie was talking about not changing the style of racing and the other two have. I'll try to break it down more next time :XXROFL:

oh that clears it up, LaJoie was talking about the gains in safety, grateful for it. That is why I posted it in this thread.

one of these days you will come out..It's OK :D Excited about him racing in the Truck series? probably better to stay in the closet unless you are that blunderbuss Rev :p He would jump for joy if he was racing kindergartners in 1/4 midgets
I just found out he was running the truck race ... right here. My fanboy game is weak.

Your use of bombastic hyperbole to support your own form of that game is noted. Take all the time you need to recover.

I just found out he was running the truck race ... right here. My fanboy game is weak.

Your use of bombastic hyperbole to support your own form of that game is noted. Take all the time you need to recover.
I fear there is some history here that Im unaware of

LaJoie explains Daytona crash with Newman

“But here’s the thing, you’re speedway racing, and I can say it now because we know Ryan Newman is in good health – you don’t lift. You just don’t lift because every spot at the Daytona 500 is worth like 20, 25 grand. So, if you lift and lose a few spots, that’s over 50 grand.

Back
Top Bottom