NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

A formula e race, that was virtually unadvertised, taking place in some obscure location, on fs1, got more than half of what was once the second biggest open wheel race in America? I wish they gave us the sports car race numbers, because that was on fox and likely performed as well, if not better than Indy.

A formula e race, that was virtually unadvertised, taking place in some obscure location, on fs1, got more than half of what was once the second biggest open wheel race in America? I wish they gave us the sports car race numbers, because that was on fox and likely performed as well, if not better than Indy.
I bet that has ya scratching your head

Looking over the past couple of years Richmond pulled in a 3.2 and 5.5 million viewers in 2016 and 2.7 and circa 4.8 million viewers for last year's race. Ten years ago the race had a 4.2 and 7.3 million viewers so while things are trending downward it is not as severe as some other races.

Looking over the past couple of years Richmond pulled in a 3.2 and 5.5 million viewers in 2016 and 2.7 and circa 4.8 million viewers for last year's race. Ten years ago the race had a 4.2 and 7.3 million viewers so while things are trending downward it is not as severe as some other races.
Maybe more people like smaller tracks?????

ISC felt that Sunday racing killed their live attendance, but the return to Saturday night will surely kill the TV ratings. I like Saturday night racing on TV, but it is a very tough time slot for ratings.

I will be at one of two local races tonight and recording the Cup race, so if I was being measured, I wouldn't count as a viewer unless we're getting Live +1 or Live +3 DVR ratings, which I don't think they generally do with sports numbers.

That's not to say that Saturday night TV ratings are poor because everyone is at their local track. It's just a window in which a much lower number of people are watching television generally.

ISC felt that Sunday racing killed their live attendance, but the return to Saturday night will surely kill the TV ratings. I like Saturday night racing on TV, but it is a very tough time slot for ratings.
Yeah 2014 would be the last truly comparable year.
I will be at one of two local races tonight and recording the Cup race, so if I was being measured, I wouldn't count as a viewer unless we're getting Live +1 or Live +3 DVR ratings, which I don't think they generally do with sports numbers.

That's not to say that Saturday night TV ratings are poor because everyone is at their local track. It's just a window in which a much lower number of people are watching television generally.
They report Live+SD, which I think runs up through 3 AM local time. So there's some time to not become the ratings scapegoat for a week. :D

I don't know about actual attendance and this isn't exactly TV ratings, but it looked like attendance was slightly better or the same.

The crowd looked thin based on the overhead shots shown however that alone can't be used as a basis for determining attendance. Hopefully the ratings will be respectable.

I agree that Saturday nights are not ideal for ratings and I will be interested in seeing how badly Nascar racing beat NHL hockey head to head. Regarding attendance for the race I read that any boost in attendance was marginal and that the grandstands at the track were, at best, 65% percent of capacity. It’s important to remember that Richmond has cut seating capacity significantly in recent years. Its capacity now of between 50,000-60,000 is about half of where it was in 2008.

Most of the posts in this thread could be copied and pasted with the track name changed. Oh well.

Most of the posts in this thread could be copied and pasted with the track name changed. Oh well.

That is true of many of the threads here. For example the rate the race threads are as predictable as the morning sun as the same suspects say the same thing depending what type of tracks is near and dear to them. I don't see it as a problem but I know some people repeatedly read things they have no use for and then complain about it but that is an entirely different topic.

Race started around 6:45 while this is only true prime time viewing, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-saturday-network-scorecard-4-21-2018.html

If the average of those 2 hours hold, that's a drop of 1.6 million viewers from last year's race that was held on a Sunday. That's quite a bit of a drop off (33%) from one year to the next, granted we're talking the difference between Sunday afternoon and Saturday evening. I'm having a hard time believing that could happen.

If your recording your tuned in I think. They can't actually see if your on the couch or not. :D

If the average of those 2 hours hold, that's a drop of 1.6 million viewers from last year's race that was held on a Sunday. That's quite a bit of a drop off (33%) from one year to the next, granted we're talking the difference between Sunday afternoon and Saturday evening. I'm having a hard time believing that could happen.

I wonder what fun filled tweet Adam Stern will send out about those numbers.
iu

The Leaf's-B's game performed better than I thought and I figured the race would be off but by no more than 15% but we will have to see how the final numbers shake out. In any case it looks like the race would be better served being run on Sunday as you will still get about 35K in the stands but much healthier viewership.
I am not sure what has caused the sharp drop in interest and attention for the races this year and I would be interested in knowing however a rational conversation about Kyle and Danica is likely to happen before a rational conversation about this topic.
I wonder what fun filled tweet Adam Stern will send out about those numbers.
iu
Adam will likely tell us that Nascar was the most watched sports program on an over the air network between 6:52 and 10:08 PM on Saturday. We will probably hear about the gazillion social interactions Nascar generated and the huge inroads Nascar is making into senior living communities. At some point we will probably hear that as long as Nascar is the number 1 rated auto racing series that is all that matters and that the losses Nascar is experiencing are no different than the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB. I don't think anyone will blame the NHL for siphoning viewers from Nascar but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

The Leaf's-B's game performed better than I thought and I figured the race would be off but by no more than 15% but we will have to see how the final numbers shake out. In any case it looks like the race would be better served being run on Sunday as you will still get about 35K in the stands but much healthier viewership.
I am not sure what has caused the sharp drop in interest and attention for the races this year and I would be interested in knowing however a rational conversation about Kyle and Danica is likely to happen before a rational conversation about this topic.

Adam will likely tell us that Nascar was the most watched sports program on an over the air network between 6:52 and 10:08 PM on Saturday. We will probably hear about the gazillion social interactions Nascar generated and the huge inroads Nascar is making into senior living communities. At some point we will probably hear that as long as Nascar is the number 1 rated auto racing series that is all that matters and that the losses Nascar is experiencing are no different than the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB. I don't think anyone will blame the NHL for siphoning viewers from Nascar but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.
senior living communities

:XXROFL:

Nascar was the highest rated sports program on Saturday night. Boys, it just don't get no better n that now do it?

Good call - that includes a rerun of NCIS too. I think that is one of the biggest shows on TV. Certainly for CBS.

I agree as reruns are huge and people plan evenings around them so beating NCIS and American Idol is big. I read somewhere about an able bodied guy that stayed inside his trailer all day watching reruns of a fishing show that he has already seen before. I would not have believed it had I not read it.

I agree as reruns are huge and people plan evenings around them so beating NCIS and American Idol is big. I read somewhere about an able bodied guy that stayed inside his trailer all day watching reruns of a fishing show that he has already seen before. I would not have believed it had I not read it.
Sorry bout your luck, maybe NASCAR wont be the favorite on TV this weekend so you can gloat.......oh wait, its Talladega. Yeah probably not.

Sorry bout your luck, maybe NASCAR wont be the favorite on TV this weekend so you can gloat.......oh wait, its Talladega. Yeah probably not.

Sorry about my luck? Do tell! Talladega is a very good race for Nascar as it had 9 million viewers in 2008 and close to 7.5 million in 2013 and last year raked in to 6 million viewers. This could be the first race of the year with increased YoY ratings which is exciting to consider.

Back
Top Bottom