NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Towmater

Towmater Ratings Craterville

What's the over/under on how low the TV ratings will dip this year?

2. sloggie

sloggie Racing I will teach you

I predict a 10% decrease.

3. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Flat to 3-5% loss. I could see Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Charlotte Roval getting incremental increases.

4. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

I envision the first few races seeing an increase in ratings over last year. After that it depends on how the new aero package is received. I have a feeling by the end of the year the overall ratings will decrease by 10% or more.

5. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

I’ll tell you I wish iRacing could implement this current package right now to get a feel for how it’ll race.

I know I’m a novice but while we talk about lower downforce, the 2018 package drove much smoother but felt touchier on the throttle. Personally feel like you’re going to almost get tandem type of racing where a few faster cars can get ahead of the field

I will say I’m a fan of this being implemented on your bigger tracks, that dirty air experience is not fun or conducive to great racing at all

6. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

Interesting take on your 2nd paragraph as I never considered the tandem aspect on the 1.5+ mile tracks. In regards to your final paragraph, I agree on the dirty air aspect. However, that can be minimized with increased tire wear which hasn't mattered much in recent years especially with limited green flag runs due to stage racing.

7. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Increased tire wear was the great hope with last year's package. Very seldom did it happen because of single file long green flag runs. Cautions were at an all time low last year.

8. Towmater

So, does that mean that Goodyear makes a great tire for everyone except the driver from team 18?

9. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I will go with a 5-10% decrease for Nascar broadcasts this year. It is all but impossible to have a consecutive year where almost 8 hundred thousand fans per race are lost.

10. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

What is more important, the number of fans who attend races OR the number who tune into the broadcast?
    I am only asking because Nascar could do more to keep the TV audience than they can to attract people to the track.

11. Towmater

Asking a track owner and you might get one view, while asking a team owner might provide another.

12. joe h

joe h Team Owner

Daytona will be flat to 3% gain thanks to zero competition this year versus last year’s olympics. The rest of fox’s races will average 5% declines. NBC will continue its double digit dips. Unless the new package completely revolutionizes the intermediates.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  13. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  14. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

This isn't ;)

Every ARCA race will air live on TV in 2019
    The races will once again be broadcast on FS1, FS2 and MAVTV

For the first time in series history, every ARCA Racing Series event in 2019 will air live on some form of television.

Eight races are scheduled for broadcast on the Fox Sports networks, FS1 and FS2. Twelve races are scheduled for broadcast on MAVTV, including the entire short track slate and one superspeedway event.
    https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/every-arca-racing-series-event-will-air-live-tv-2019

Johali, LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  15. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner Contributor

"The Ocho!"

16. OzFan

OzFan Crew Chief

StandOnIt likes this.
  17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

You still have the supercars right? and I heard they are starting a new open wheel series the S5000 I believe, all is not lost. But yeah I hear ya. Maybe you can find a stream.

18. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

That sucks. If the Fox Sports Go app doesn't bar you from using it for geographic reasons, I have several valid logins and can give you one to use.

If it does block you, then you'd have to use a VPN service such as those listed here to 'pretend' that you're in the U.S., and then access Fox Sports Go.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/best-vpn-fox-sports-go-abroad/

OzFan and StandOnIt like this.
  19. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

20. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Up 3% after two rain delays...

LewTheShoe, Kiante and IanMcVittie like this.
  21. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

[​IMG]

22. rowdy3

rowdy3 Tire changer

You had the olympics last year.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  23. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

Well crap I forgot about the Olympics. The 500 should get a ratings boost so that will be a good way to start the season.

24. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

You heard it here first. The 2019 Daytona 500 goes back over 10 million viewers. I don’t think it will get anywhere near the 20 million fans it used to but more than the 9 and change from last year.

25. LouieLouie

LouieLouie Team Owner

I have always noticed that if iRacing's package is consistent with the Cup series, you can get a really good feel for how a race will play out. I remember when Chicago started wearing through tires pretty quickly, that some guys would manage their tires and stay out as long as they could while other drivers would come in and get tires every chance they had. That is exactly what happened on the track during the Cup race. It was a race of long green flag runs with cars scattered all over the track single file but with different strategies.
    Anyway, I wish iRacing would have the new package already too, it would be really interesting to see.

26. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

I wasn't able to watch it this year.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  27. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

3% is a nice gain.

Johali likes this.
  28. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

29. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I see the "Clash" was up a hair.

30. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

31. MikeInIllinois

MikeInIllinois Team Owner

From 1.981 million last year to 1.725 million this year for the Duels (a 13% drop). However, the NBA game over on TNT at the same time had just 1.091.

32. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Get ready for a Daytona 500 with a rating in the 4s

33. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

34. NASCAR Apologist

NASCAR Apologist Crew Chief

Shooting my shot and calling for a 5.9 this morning.

35. Towmater

The ratings were up compared to last year by 8%. The overnights show a 5.5 rating vs 5.1 for last year. However, 2 years ago the ratings were a 6.5. So, a mixed result.

Joker likes this.
  36. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

37. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Let's hope this continues the rest of the year

Joker and LewTheShoe like this.
  38. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Yep, me also but it wont stop the negatators.

SlicedBread22 and LewTheShoe like this.
  39. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Dude seriously stop with it. Its an upswing in ratings, so what if two years ago it was a 6.5? Its a 8% increase from last year, stop twisting and contorting numbers to fit your narrative. Good sign to start off for the year, lets hope we continue to see increases.

LewTheShoe, aunty dive and Johali like this.
  40. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Oops. Daytona 500 final rating is lower than the overnight rating, which is contrary to the normal pattern. So final rating is about flat with last year.

FLRacingFan likes this.