NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

So why is it even being discussed? Maybe they think it can be improved?? What a novel concept!!!!

When we were talking about the possibility of the championship race being switched to somewhere like Vegas, you were so quick to dismiss the idea, like it was foolish of us to even bring it up. But if NASCAR announced tomorrow that Vegas would be the last race in '24, you would be the biggest cheerleader on the forum.
they spent 178 million dollars renovating Phoenix recently...there is your sign. You flipper people have no idea what kind of deals the tracks have with tax breaks, depreciation, access to the tracks etc, just hey let go here or lets go there.

they spent 178 million dollars renovating Phoenix recently...there is your sign

And Phoenix was rewarded with the championship race. So what? Did that make the racing at Phoenix any better?

Phoenix, and likely Texas, are looking at the big picture. Maybe you should too

What a quality response. About what I expected.

You inferred that I know nothing about running a business. Cute. I think the only business you're involved in is being a yes man for NASCAR's cronies
Yep, that's pretty much the automatic response whenever somebody disagrees with ya.

Remember who owns ISC and what tracks ISC own. The finale is always going to be at an ISC track. That means Phoenix, Homestead, or Auto Club. I'd bet when the Auto Club re-build is complete and it puts on good races the finale will be moved there. The Clash at the Coliseum is to get LA excited about NASCAR and short tracks. Phoenix is a hold-over and makes good use of a facility that desperately needed a renovation. Phoenix is a fine track to host the finale for 10-15 years like Homestead did.

Remember who owns ISC and what tracks ISC own. The finale is always going to be at an ISC track. That means Phoenix, Homestead, or Auto Club. I'd bet when the Auto Club re-build is complete and it puts on good races the finale will be moved there. The Clash at the Coliseum is to get LA excited about NASCAR and short tracks. Phoenix is a hold-over and makes good use of a facility that desperately needed a renovation. Phoenix is a fine track to host the finale for 10-15 years like Homestead did.
I'm not sold on Autoclub would be my only ? California for some reason doesn't pull in the ratings or the crowds. I do think the track will do well when they get it finished. I agree Phoenix will get a few years before it is moved. 178 million is going to take awhile for return on investment.

You find that response yet?
IF they did anything with Texas there are three options. 1. turn it into a tri oval flat track, add progressive banking like Kansas which you will just love, or turn it into a super speedway like Atlanta which of course you don't like that either. lol.

IF they did anything with Texas there are three options. 1. turn it into a tri oval flat track, add progressive banking like Kansas which you will just love, or turn it into a super speedway like Atlanta which of course you don't like that either. lol.

Now you're telling me what I'll like/love?

Still waiting for evidence of your claim.

Never mind bud you are so emotional it isn't worth discussing. I'm sure we will have other discussions about Texas in the future.

I'm not the least bit emotional. You made a claim, I'm just waiting for you to back that up.

And I couldn't care less about what happens with Texas. I'm just trying to explain why TV ratings aren't the end all, be all.

I'm not sold on Autoclub would be my only ? California for some reason doesn't pull in the ratings or the crowds. I do think the track will do well when they get it finished. I agree Phoenix will get a few years before it is moved. 178 million is going to take awhile for return on investment.

That is true.

A lot of people don't realize this, but the Southwest market for NASCAR is oversaturated- I think that hurts CA. Auto Club, Phoenix, and Las Vegas are all within 5 hours of each other. That's a big strain being outside of NASCAR's "core" area trying to support what is currently 5 points-paying races a year plus the Clash.

In my Fantasyworld, Phoenix would be scrapped (just because of its location). A new track would be build halfway between Salt Lake City and Denver (Grand Junction, CO probably). I think it'd be a HUGE hit as you'd have local fans as well as people vacationing with all the national parks in the area. Denver, Albuquerque, and SLC are all some of the fastest major cities in the US that have seen sustained double-digit growth in the last 20 years.

That is true.

A lot of people don't realize this, but the Southwest market for NASCAR is oversaturated- I think that hurts CA. Auto Club, Phoenix, and Las Vegas are all within 5 hours of each other. That's a big strain being outside of NASCAR's "core" area trying to support what is currently 5 points-paying races a year plus the Clash.

In my Fantasyworld, Phoenix would be scrapped (just because of its location). A new track would be build halfway between Salt Lake City and Denver (Grand Junction, CO probably). I think it'd be a HUGE hit as you'd have local fans as well as people vacationing with all the national parks in the area. Denver, Albuquerque, and SLC are all some of the fastest major cities in the US that have seen sustained double-digit growth in the last 20 years.
I never thought about that area being over saturated, that's a new one to think about. One thing though, the East coast has no problems with doing that though? Agter the clash, the race at Autoclub didn't seem to be affected. Attendance was still so so. Vegas and Phoenix had no problems.

I am glad to see you’re keeping up your Oklahoman Know-It All Schtick. Boomer Sooner
I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't follow football, but do we want to go down the road of personal attacks...we can go there and I will let this one go, but I really don't think it is a good place to go bud.

I'm not the least bit emotional. You made a claim, I'm just waiting for you to back that up.

And I couldn't care less about what happens with Texas. I'm just trying to explain why TV ratings aren't the end all, be all.
Ratings, It's part of the big picture. You sluffed it off, but I posted that the most expensive seating/RV spots were sold out this year 2 weeks befor the race. These spots go for thousands of revenue. I posted awhile back that compared to other races, the Texas races for years ratings are in the top third overall of the yearly races. You don't like the race I get it, many don't. I wonder if it is the same bunch that didn't like Bristol myself.

I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't follow football, but do we want to go down the road of personal attacks...we can go there and I will let this one go, but I really don't think it is a good place to go bud.
Your threats mean nothing to me, I’m also not your bud. The wise crack on me earlier today about taking a break from here was not warranted and then you follow it up again by saying welcome back when I posted about learning so much in this thread. Initially that’s on me for even mentioning it, I’ve taken off season breaks before and just kind of left for a month or two. Again shouldn’t have mentioned it this time for cases like this. I’m not sure anyone has told you this on here and you can take it personally if you want but you come across as a know it all. It’s sometimes nauseating interacting with you as your quick to shout down posters you don’t agree with or ones that come across as what you coined “death bedders” because sometimes...not all the time... but sometimes their opinion differs from yours. We’ve had a few dustups in the past and other times have gotten along fine. This time I’m not a fan of the interaction because I was talking to another poster this morning and you decided to interject yourself rather rudely and then take a shot at me for mentioning I was taking a break. Then did it again now.

Your threats mean nothing to me, I’m also not your bud. The wise crack on me earlier today about taking a break from here was not warranted and then you follow it up again by saying welcome back when I posted about learning so much in this thread. Initially that’s on me for even mentioning it, I’ve taken off season breaks before and just kind of left for a month or two. Again shouldn’t have mentioned it this time for cases like this. I’m not sure anyone has told you this on here and you can take it personally if you want but you come across as a know it all. It’s sometimes nauseating interacting with you as your quick to shout down posters you don’t agree with or ones that come across as what you coined “death bedders” because sometimes...not all the time... but sometimes their opinion differs from yours. We’ve had a few dustups in the past and other times have gotten along fine. This time I’m not a fan of the interaction because I was talking to another poster this morning and you decided to interject yourself rather rudely and then take a shot at me for mentioning I was taking a break. Then did it again now.
Last time I looked more than one person can comment on topics. There is a private conversation feature though. Me and a few others use it sometimes.

Last time I looked more than one person can comment on topics. There is a private conversation feature though. Me and a few others use it sometimes.
I didn’t have a problem at all with you interacting with what we were taking about. The problem I had with was the apparent need for making fun of me about taking a break and then needing to take us to task about what we were discussing in the race thread when we respectfully waited 48 hours for the race to end and with the discussion shifted to tracks that could hold the final races, you felt the need to loudly tell us this is the race thread, show us a thread for the 23 schedule while asking us (with a huge hint of a condescending tone) if we had seen it. I mean the race had been done for close to 48 hours. The race thread will be forgotten by tomorrow evening, we couldn’t have our opinions on what we thought the final race should be held?

I didn’t have a problem at all with you interacting with what we were taking about. The problem I had with was the apparent need for making fun of me about taking a break and then needing to take us to task about what we were discussing in the race thread when we respectfully waited 48 hours for the race to end and with the discussion shifted to tracks that could hold the final races, you felt the need to loudly tell us this is the race thread, show us a thread for the 23 schedule while asking us (with a huge hint of a condescending tone) if we had seen it. I mean the race had been done for close to 48 hours. The race thread will be forgotten by tomorrow evening, we couldn’t have our opinions on what we thought the final race should be held?
Sorry if your feelings were hurt. BTW there were plenty of posts about the championship race in Phoenix thread, of course you won't agree with that, but it is what it is. I will continue to post there because there will be more to post all week usually on the championship thread. BTW there are numerous threads about moving this race here or there, so how about posting one, something along the lines of where should we move the championship race or something along those lines. There are a handful of posters that do that kind of stuff.

Sorry if your feelings were hurt. BTW there were plenty of posts about the championship race in Phoenix thread, of course you won't agree with that, but it is what it is. I will continue to post there because there will be more to post all week usually on the championship thread. BTW there are numerous threads about moving this race here or there, so how about posting one, something along the lines of where should we move the championship race or something along those lines. There are a handful of posters that do that kind of stuff.
But my feelings weren’t hurt. You know I expect to be treated with dignity, fairness, and an open mind, I try to do that with other posters on here and feel I get along pretty well with most everyone. The fact that you “think my feelings were hurt” tells me you DGAF about what I’m trying to point out here and why I reacted how I did. As a 38 year old, I don’t want to be talked to like I’m back in middle school, you do this a lot imo. I was annoyed with your tone, my feelings were not hurt in the least bit. You can also point out who can post what to the all other posters in the race thread before me about moving races here there and everywhere.

But my feelings weren’t hurt. You know I expect to be treated with dignity, fairness, and an open mind, I try to do that with other posters on here and feel I get along pretty well with most everyone. The fact that you “think my feelings were hurt” tells me you DGAF about what I’m trying to point out here and why I reacted how I did. As a 38 year old, I don’t want to be talked to like I’m back in middle school, you do this a lot imo. I was annoyed with your tone, my feelings were not hurt in the least bit. You can also point out who can post what to the all other posters in the race thread before me about moving races here there and everywhere.
my advice would be to get a thicker skin because I don't think I do that, or use your ignore button. This is a discussion forum, it isn't an agree with everything I say forum

my advice would be to get a thicker skin because I don't think I do that, or use your ignore button. This is a discussion forum, it isn't an agree with everything I say forum
But I know that going in it’s a discussion forum. I’m not looking for anyone to agree with me and again you’re totally missing the point of what I said. We didn’t have a disagreement on topic. The disagreement here is how you addressed me. At the end of the day it’s the old “you need thicker skin” retort, great advice. I’d rather have a colonoscopy than take your advice.

But I know that going in it’s a discussion forum. I’m not looking for anyone to agree with me and again you’re totally missing the point of what I said. We didn’t have a disagreement on topic. The disagreement here is how you addressed me. At the end of the day it’s the old “you need thicker skin” retort, great advice. I’d rather have a colonoscopy than take your advice.
That will work. Thanks for yet another insult lol, ya know respect and all that.

That will work. Thanks for yet another insult lol, ya know respect and all that.
Dismissing everything I pointed about by Telling me I need thicker skin isn’t an insult? How did I insult you in telling you I wasn’t going to take your advice?

On topic ...

The TV ratings for NASCAR race broadcasts appear to be in reasonable shape, all things considered.

Their primary use / function is to set advertising rates per minute at various times during the broadcasts. Higher ratings = more revenue for the rights holder and it’s obviously big business ... the sanctioning body currently cashes approx $1 Billion worth of checks annually.

The size of the increase in dollar value of the next TV contracts will indicate how “happy” the broadcast execs are.

Of course Texas isn't going anywhere, because NASCAR has invested too much into the facilities, and it's a great market they are still trying to capture. That's the ONLY reason it's hanging by a thread.

Why do you think they are talking about reconfiguration? They realize the track sucks. But but but the TV ratings!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
JUst FYI NASCAR doesnt own Texas SMI does.

ISC no longer exists, it was dissolved in 2019 and also NASCAR certainly would consider a final at a non NASCAR track. Many factors are involved behind the scenes and TV Networks have a huge say in what NASCAR does.

Lots of people don’t like Phoenix as the finale so I 100% support a new finale track.

It’s a decent penultimate track.

Streaming included, NBC says the championship was up over 2021 and 2020 at 3.355M. Peak audience around the checkered flag was 4.06M. Some other data:

Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C., led all markets for Sunday’s championship race with a 5.8 local household rating. Below is the full list of Top 10 markets for the title race:

RankMarketHH Rating
1Greenville-Spartanburg5.8
2Charlotte5.5
t-3Knoxville5.1
t-3Greensboro-High Point5.1
5Birmingham4.1
t-6Buffalo3.4
t-6Dayton3.4
8Louisville3.2
9Norfolk3.1
10Tulsa2.9

NBC Sports’ 2022 NASCAR Cup Series season-long viewership averaged a TAD of 2.454 million viewers across NBC, USA Network and Peacock, according to Nielsen and Adobe Analytics, essentially flat vs. viewership for the comparable races on NBC, NBCSN and Peacock in 2021 (TAD 2.485 million viewers).

Following are the Top 10 markets for NBC Sports’ 20-race 2022 NASCAR Cup Series season:

RankMarketHH Rating
1Knoxville4.2
t-2Charlotte3.9
t-2Greensboro-High Point3.9
4Greenville-Spartanburg3.8
5Birmingham2.9
6Dayton2.8
t-7Indianapolis2.4
t-7Louisville2.4
t-9Norfolk2.3
t-9Buffalo2.3

Back