NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

If I am reading that correctly the NBC part of the season has viewership flat while FOX's part was up 5% ish in all of the three series. Never missing a chance to complain about the fake playoff hysteria capped by the screaming soprano gerbils, I wonder if their solution will be to yell louder yet next year.

If I am reading that correctly the NBC part of the season has viewership flat while FOX's part was up 5% ish in all of the three series. Never missing a chance to complain about the fake playoff hysteria capped by the screaming soprano gerbils, I wonder if their solution will be to yell louder yet next year.

Fox isn't up against the NFL.

The Clash at the Coliseum was down on FOX to kick off the season, from 4.283M last year to 3.647M this past weekend. Heats/LCQs held up better, dropping from 2.564M to 2.37M.

The feature did go up against the Grammy Awards in full, which it didn’t last year, although there was some Winter Olympics overlap in 2022.

Are there a lot of potential NASCAR viewers who would watch the Grammys instead of a race? I would imagine the winter olympics are a bigger rival.
This event wasn't about attracting NASCAR viewers. It was to draw casual fans, preferably younger ones, the kind of viewers who might well consider the two programs to be a toss-up.

The Clash at the Coliseum was down on FOX to kick off the season, from 4.283M last year to 3.647M this past weekend. Heats/LCQs held up better, dropping from 2.564M to 2.37M.

The feature did go up against the Grammy Awards in full, which it didn’t last year, although there was some Winter Olympics overlap in 2022.

Also “The Last of Us” on HBO. That show is HUGE, especially with gamers, and there is a cross appeal there.

What that signals to me is an increase in die hard fans and a decrease in casual fans. A casual fan isn’t going to watch ARCA or 500 qualifying. Maybe not even truck or Xfinity. As we continue to convolute the points system and the formats of the race, it continues to make NASCAR less casual fan friendly. You really have to be into it to be able to follow it anymore.

The same could explain the increases in attendance over the past couple of years. Die hards go to races, and it seems there’s more of them lately. Casuals are less likely to.

This is all well and good, but instead of trying to hold that large audience with a post race show, Fox decides to dump that idea for different programming. 🤡

What that signals to me is an increase in die hard fans and a decrease in casual fans. A casual fan isn’t going to watch ARCA or 500 qualifying. Maybe not even truck or Xfinity. As we continue to convolute the points system and the formats of the race, it continues to make NASCAR less casual fan friendly. You really have to be into it to be able to follow it anymore.

The same could explain the increases in attendance over the past couple of years. Die hards go to races, and it seems there’s more of them lately. Casuals are less likely to.
A few things here.

Fox made a much bigger push for Los Angeles to casual audiences. Ads for the Busch Clash were all over Fox during the NFL Playoffs and other programs. The Daytona 500 was an afterthought.

Between that, the astonishing lack of coverage throughout the week (man, I miss shows like Trackside and the OG Raceday), the lack of hype in general from Fox, and the much maligned race broadcast itself, there was no way the 500 would get and keep casual viewers.

It’s one thing to realize there are casual viewers watching and talk to people like they’re first time viewers. It’s another to not get technical at all, and I’d much rather see NBC’s approach - especially since NBC doesn’t miss when it comes to major events.

Next contract, this race needs to alternate between Fox and NBC, or Fox and ABC, or whatever it ends up being.

I just record what I want to watch when I'm unavailable to see it during the broadcast window...

Pretty easy with the 'ol VCR...

A few things here.

Fox made a much bigger push for Los Angeles to casual audiences. Ads for the Busch Clash were all over Fox during the NFL Playoffs and other programs. The Daytona 500 was an afterthought.

Between that, the astonishing lack of coverage throughout the week (man, I miss shows like Trackside and the OG Raceday), the lack of hype in general from Fox, and the much maligned race broadcast itself, there was no way the 500 would get and keep casual viewers.

It’s one thing to realize there are casual viewers watching and talk to people like they’re first time viewers. It’s another to not get technical at all, and I’d much rather see NBC’s approach - especially since NBC doesn’t miss when it comes to major events.

Next contract, this race needs to alternate between Fox and NBC, or Fox and ABC, or whatever it ends up being.

Fox is a terrible joke. I’m glad someone else on here agrees. I hope ABC/ESPN or CBS/Turner get the 1st half and NBC Sports again.

Fox is a terrible joke. I’m glad someone else on here agrees. I hope ABC/ESPN or CBS/Turner get the 1st half and NBC Sports again.
Conventional wisdom is that Fox is coming back but IDK if I’d bet the farm on that. These lawsuits Fox is facing are devastating and that’s not hyperbole.

Yep.

IMO, there are a few reasons TV deals aren't renewed yet.

1.) Fox is in crisis.
2.) NBC Universal probably buying Warner Bros. from Discovery next year.
3.) NBC Universal buying NASCAR chatter isn't completely dead.
I generally agree there are some external factors at play, but the exclusive negotiating window for FOX and NBC just opened (Feb. 1) and runs through April. They have time before it goes to open market.

It looks to be worse than that.

Assuming the current case awards the full amount asked (not guaranteed), damages in civil lawsuits are often reduced in the inevitable appeal. Still, it's tough to negotiate with that kind of sword hanging over your head.

Assuming the current case awards the full amount asked (not guaranteed), damages in civil lawsuits are often reduced in the inevitable appeal. Still, it's tough to negotiate with that kind of sword hanging over your head.
Investors can and will sue. I believe 90% of their revenue comes from cable fees and that has been rumored that Fox was trying to jack up the price a lot so that is in the wind not to mention many advertisers are leaving. I wonder if Fox will be in the running for any Nascar. This is all new, but Murdock admitting in court he knew the big lie was a lie and there wasn't any voting machine problems, Dominion is going to win, it's just a matter of how much.

Dominion is going to win, it's just a matter of how much.
Agreed. I was just pointing out comparing damages sought to cash on hand isn't an indicator of much.

There's the question of whether NASCAR wants locked in with someone who may have to cut production corners, or even drop out mid-contract. There's also whether it wants to be associated with what may become a tainted brand.

Agreed. I was just pointing out comparing damages sought to cash on hand isn't an indicator of much.

There's the question of whether NASCAR wants locked in with someone who may have to cut production corners, or even drop out mid-contract. There's also whether it wants to be associated with what may become a tainted brand.
That's a tough one to leave all that money on the table lol. Cash up front?

Back
Top Bottom