Nascar Thunder 2004

R

RobbyG Fan

It comes out next week, is anyone going to get it?

I read a press release about the game, it seems to have a lot of exciting features which should be fun, I think I am going to buy it.

I'm getting it the day it comes out. I've had Nascar Thunder 2003 and all the games before it. I cant wait. They just keep gettin even better every year!!!

I'm getting it, but it better have one damn well improved career mode. I'm sick of having to either go into the 3 of Dale Earnhardt Jr (BGN) or the 99 of Michael Waltrip (BGN). The only WC ride I got to get into in NT2003 was Bobby Hamilton's, while Ken Schrader, Dale Jarrett, Kyle Petty and John Andretti retired and I never got to go into their cars.

I hope that career mode is improved.

Thunder Online
You guys been to this site? It has information and screenshots of Thunder. The guy who runs the site also looks at every screenshot and video released of Thunder and tries to determine what car it is and has a list of the cars he's discovered so far. It looks like Jimmy Spencer and Dave Blaney fans will be disappointed.(Blaney wasn't in 2002 or 2003 either) I hope they have more special schemes, as last year Steve didn't have any, and I hope Steve and Jeff are in the #30 and the #1, instead of the #1 and the #30. I also hope Dale Earnhardt is in the game again this year, and the restricter plate racing is much more realistic.

Yeah, I've been there to Thunder Online. Theyre also having discussions over the game at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/

I'm not sure if it ships September 15th and comes out September 16th or if it just comes out the 15th,

It comes out a week from today, so the 15th.

Does anyone know if the PC version will feature the grudges and allies option?

Comes out today here in Henderson, I'll drive down to EB after school, play it for 3 hours then go to work then play it for the rest of the night.

Originally posted by MCanyon@Sep 17 2003, 11:09 AM
The PC version does feature grudges and allies.
That is great news to hear, since I will be getting the PC version. Thanks for the info.

the pc version of this game sound pretty cool.
unlike that lame excuse last year that said it had all the features of the PS2 version (the cool version).
i was truly disappointed last year after reading EA sports official features for the pc version and then buying the game and finding out it had none of the cool features EA had listed for the pc version.

I just got it, and so far it looks pretty good but I'm kinda not amused at the gameplay, the controlling kinda sucks compared to last year, it's not as precise really.

Other than that, the rival ally mode is kinda cool. It has this "share draft" mode where you could draft other guys and gain speed while gaining their favor. I just finished racing on the fantasy track "New York Metro" and it was pretty cool.

Other than that, Michael Waltrip now interviews everyone in the lightning challenge, I just got tired of his voice. There are lots more lightning challenges, theres rookie challenges like Kevin Harvick at Chicagoland or Jeff Gordon moving Rusty out of the way at Bristol, and there are veteran ones like Matt Kenseth coming from two laps down to win at Richmond or Dale Jr. passing Michael Waltrip in the 2002 Pepsi 400. Also I just started career mode, it took a tough while but I won the Daytona 500 after just taking two tires.

I'll post up some more goods on the game. Damn, it's pretty good on some aspects.

Does the fantasy track come with it or is a download? BTW took a glance at Project Wildfire site, Great site. I'll have to give it a hard look in the days coming. Thanks.

What are the drawbacks to Thunder 2004?

I might be getting it for PC since I dont have PS2, but since the patch for NR2003 just came out I might hold off on getting Thunder 2004 and play with the patch for NR2003.

Which reminds me, I got something to ask concerning NR2003... new thread coming up. =)

The major drawback in my opinion is the rival ally mode, well some aspects of it.

When you start out career mode, you'll find yourself making more rivals then allies on the track. I've made about 10 enemies among the Winston Cup drivers like Dale Jr, Matt Kenseth and surprisingly Kevin Harvick.

However, you can press R2 and try to share a draft with them, that'll probably get them on your good side especially on a superspeedway like Daytona or Talladega.

Career Mode is a bitch because you have to work your way from the ground up. You'll find yourself spinning out more times then winning. However, I managed to stay in the top 10 in the first 10 races I've run. Surprisingly, Kevin Harvick is in the lead :) I had to mention that ! Like other EA Sports titles, the game features a trophy room, where you could see all the trophys from the races youve won.

You cant build engines and chassis unless you expand the R&D Department and the team headquarter more. That's a bitch too.

However, I like the three and four wide racing, EA has made a great improvement in that.

Also SPOILER

Dale Earnhardt is still in the game, here are his paint schemes:

DEI Legacy Tribute Car
GM Goodwrench Service Plus Car (2001)
GM Goodwrench Service Plus Car (1998 Daytona 500)
Wrangler Chevy (1999 Winston)
GM Goodwrench Service Select (Silver Car)
Oreo Bud Shootout Car (2001)

Thats cool, wish I had the money to get it...I spent it all in Green Bay, and at Kansas Speedway, and I am going back to Kansas for the Busch, and Cup races now, so I will probably get it around Christmas!!!! :D :p

Originally posted by Happy29@Sep 17 2003, 11:19 PM
Also SPOILER

Dale Earnhardt is still in the game, here are his paint schemes:

DEI Legacy Tribute Car
GM Goodwrench Service Plus Car (2001)
GM Goodwrench Service Plus Car (1998 Daytona 500)
Wrangler Chevy (1999 Winston)
GM Goodwrench Service Select (Silver Car)
Oreo Bud Shootout Car (2001)
You also get the Coca-Cola car he ran in Japan in 1998 and the Bass Pro Shops car he ran at the Winston in 1998. I'm so happy they included all of these cars!!! :)

Anyone know how to unlock the Bud Shootout or All star race? I've beaten all the challenges and unlocked all the other racetracks and also won races at Lowes and Daytona, but didn't get em.

Looks like I was wrong, the PC version does not have grudges and alliances. And, worse yet, it looks like the PC version doesnt even have "share drafting". i wish i never sold my PS2.

Originally posted by MCanyon@Sep 18 2003, 09:09 PM
Looks like I was wrong, the PC version does not have grudges and alliances. And, worse yet, it looks like the PC version doesnt even have "share drafting". i wish i never sold my PS2.
Blah, I think I will keep my $40 and stick with NR2003.

After 16 hours of playing it so far total, the games decent in some aspects, horrible in others and excellent in some. I like the way EA has tightened up the restrictor plate racing.

Originally posted by MCanyon@Sep 18 2003, 08:09 PM
scr*w those a-holes at EA sports & their false advertising! :angry:

Here is a question for PC users. Is there a way to create your own car skins in paintshop (or another program)? and, how do you do it?

I used to paint cars for NT2003 now I'm painting cars for NR2003, still the same concept. Download a .PSP or .PSD file, those files act through layers so it's much easier to cut and paste or paint stuff onto a car. Download Paintshop Pro or Adobe Photoshop and open it there and start painting.

But, how do i transfer my paint job into the game. If it is to complicated, just tell me so.

I unlocked the All-star race and the Bud shootout. You unlock the all-star race by reaching level 12 in your EA Bios and the Bud shootout by reaching level 14 in your EA bios.

Oh and I'm currently 5th in points with 2 wins at Daytona and Bristol in my career mode. Just 100 points out of the lead

Back
Top Bottom