Nascar Trivia

muggle not

Team Owner
If there is no interest in playing Nascar Trivia we will let the thread die but lets give it a try. Rules: Questions can only be on Nascar Cup racing. The person that lists the question must confirm the answer of the person quessing correctly before that person lists his question. I will list the first question and make it an easy one.

Added clarifications:
A person has the privilege of asking a Trivia Question only after they correctly guess the answer of the previous question AND after the answer has been confirmed by the person that asked the question.
People have 3 days to post a question after they correctly guess the previous question and after their answer has been confirmed by the person that asked it. There is also a 3 day time limit to confirm answers to a question.
All questions are to be associated with Nascar Cup racing. The object of the Trivia is to have fun and learn some interesting facts......and not to post questions that are next to impossible to answer. Common sense and politeness is also nice to use while playing the Trivia.

Question: Which driver has the most wins at California Speedway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff gordon with 3

Other winners include:
Mark Martin
Jeremy Mayfield
Jimmie Johnson
Rusty wallace
Kurt busch
all with one win each.

Originally posted by smack500@Aug 31 2004, 06:57 PM
Jeff gordon with 3

Other winners include:
Mark Martin
Jeremy Mayfield
Jimmie Johnson
Rusty wallace
Kurt busch
all with one win each.
smack500, you are correct. It is now your turn to post a question, maybe a little harder one. :p

Who has the most wins in a single season (include modern, and premodern records) ?

How many of the regular cup drivers are from the traditional southern states on which the sport was founded?

p.s- I counted Virginia as one of those states, I did not count Arkansas, Missouri, or Texas

You would be surprised, it's not a southern thing anymore

Bonus question: which state currently has the most drivers

It's a tie, Cali and NC both have 5

Cali- Jeff Gordon, Robby Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Casey Mears, Kevin Harvick

NC- Dale Jarrett, Dale Jr, Scott Riggs, Kyle Petty, Brian Vickers

Hawk3270, the rules of the trivia quiz are that to be eligible to post a question you have to be the person to correctly quess the previous question.

It is up to smack500 to confirm if Patrick9999 correctly quessed smack50's question. If the trivia gets out of control it won't work.

Originally posted by smack500+Sep 1 2004, 03:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smack500 @ Sep 1 2004, 03:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Patrick9999@Sep 1 2004, 08:04 AM
Richard Petty, 27, 1967
I said include the premodern and modern records. [/b][/quote]
Richard Petty has the most since wins since 1949 with 27 as stated previously by Patrick9999.

Smack500, how about giving us the answer and then posting another question but lets keep all the questions from 1949 to current...OK

This Trivia will be fun once we get all the bugs worked out. :cheers:

The premodern record was/is 27, but the modern record is tie between richard petty and jeff gordon at 13.

heres the all time list

rank/ driver/ year/ wins
1 Richard Petty 1967 27
2 Richard Petty 1971 21
3 Tim Flock 1955 18
4 Richard Petty 1970 18
5 Bobby Isaac 1969 17
6 David Pearson 1968 16
7 Richard Petty 1968 16
8 Ned Jarrett 1964 15
9 David Pearson 1966 15
10 Buck Baker 1956 14
11 Richard Petty 1963 14
12 Jeff Gordon 1998 13
13 Ned Jarrett 1965 13
14 Junior Johnson 1965 13
15 Richard Petty 1965 13

Someone else can ask the next question.

I completely misunderstood that question. That, and apparently I don't understand modern/premodern eras.

OK Patrick9999, it is your go. Lets keep all questions to season 1949 to current and limit them to Nascar Cup racing. :)

Place and Date of LeeRoy Yarborough's last Nascar win?

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Sep 2 2004, 12:05 PM
October 11, 1970 at Charlotte Motor Speedway...

October 11, 1970. National 500, Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Somebody types faster than me...

Originally posted by smack500@Sep 2 2004, 11:28 AM
before 1970 was premodern,1970 and thereafter is modern.
I usually see the modern ERA defined as 1972 - present.

Prior to 1972 there were a lot more races per year than starting in 1972. There were as many as 60+ races in a year prior to 1972.

Originally posted by TonyB+Sep 2 2004, 01:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TonyB @ Sep 2 2004, 01:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Patrick9999@Sep 2 2004, 12:05 PM
October 11, 1970 at Charlotte Motor Speedway... [/b][/quote]
Good job, TonyB. Sorry, Possum...looks like he got ya' by 2 minutes.

Maybe your question will be a bit more difficult than mine was. :)

Okay. Let's try the Busch Series.

Call this one the Bridesmaid question. We all now Mark Martin has the most career Busch series wins with 45. But who is Busch Series version of the bridesmaid?

Who has the most career second place finishes in the Busch series?

Gawd.

I'll take a complete stab in the dark and say Jack Ingram.

Originally posted by TonyB@Sep 2 2004, 04:51 PM
Okay. Let's try the Busch Series.

Call this one the Bridesmaid question. We all now Mark Martin has the most career Busch series wins with 45. But who is Busch Series version of the bridesmaid?

Who has the most career second place finishes in the Busch series?
TonyB, don't get upset with me but the Trivia quiz was limited to Nascar "Cup". If we expand out to other series it gets pretty difficult. I started the Trivia on another forum and we have over 2000 posts and it is going strong. Please post another question, OK. Once we get this thing going and get the bugs worked out I promise that everyone qwill enjoy it.

Okay. I was just trying to spice things up.

For the record EMP nailed it on the first try.

So, EMP, you are up with the next question.

Great horny toads, I really had no idea.

Who recorded his only career Cup win in the 1988 TransSouth 500, and who finished second that day?

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Sep 2 2004, 05:23 PM
Who recorded his only career Cup win in the 1988 TransSouth 500, and who finished second that day?
Lake Speed won with Alan Kulwicki finishing second.

In 2003 Greg Biffle was the highest finishing driver in the season ending points who didn't run all the scheduled races. Greg finished 20th in the points while running 35 of the 36 races.

In the modern era (defined as 1972 to present), what driver (and what year) has finished highest in the season ending points standing WITHOUT running all the races scheduled for the season?

Originally posted by bowtie@Sep 3 2004, 10:40 AM
Just a guess, Kevin Harvick?
Harvick finished 9th in 2001 which is impressive, but that's not the best finish in the modern era.

David Pearson won a points title in at least one season without running short tracks at all. But I think that was before 1972.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Sep 3 2004, 11:31 AM
Was it 1974, when Pearson was third?
EMP is correct.

David Pearson finished third in the season ending points while running only 19 of the 30 scheduled races. Pearson drover the Wood Brothers #21 Purolator Mercury to 7 wins in those 19 races also winning 11 poles.

The shortest track on the Wood Brother's schedule that year as 1 mile in length.

It was right after this performance that NASCAR redeisgned it's points system. Bob Latford was asked to design a system taht was easy to understand, treated all races equally, and that rewarded teams for showing up every week. The system developed by Latford was used from 1975 through 2003. Of course for 2004 a minor change was made to the system for awarding points by adding 5 points to the first palce finisher.

Okay, EMP, your turn.

A little something more...off track.

When Alan Kulwicki won the 1992 Winston Cup Championship, what gift did Bill Elliott present to him at the awards banquet?

A gold comb is correct. Alan always carried a fifty cent pocket comb, and Bill noticed it once before an interview. He got Alan the gold one. Priceless.

Better start digging.

OK, what was it that Dale Earnhardt said to Jay Leno when asked about being the second winner of the brickyard 400?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Originally posted by racer8@Sep 3 2004, 10:01 PM
OK, what was it that Dale Earnhardt said to Jay Leno when asked about being the second winner of the brickyard 400?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
racer8, seems like you stumped us. :huh: How about giving us the answer and then posting another question. :)

Back
Top Bottom