National debt clock

S

smack500

The estimated population of the United States is 288,231,139
so each citizen's share of this debt is $21,459.75.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1,111 million per day since September 28, 2001!

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 03 Sep 2002 at 03:26:42 PM GMT is:

We will be allright as long as the printing presses in Washington don't break down.:p

We have to pay interest on the National Debt, and it's the second largest expense in the federal budget.* Second only to wealth redistribution.

Last year the Treasury Department spent $360 Billion on interest payments. Compare that to NASA at $14 Billion, Education at $32 Billion, and Department of Transportation at $51 Billion. We've already spent $299 Billion on interest payments in FY2002.

Your money is spent throught Appropriations Bills passed by Congress and signed by the President. This chart is based on the Appropriations Bills. The Government does not have any money, it spends your money.

Social Security is not part of the Federal Budget. It is a separate account and has its own source of income and its own separate trust fund. Social Security payments do not go into the general fund, they go in the trust fund, and should not be counted as general revenue. The trust fund is supposed to be used to pay benefits.

Congress ordered the Treasury Department to use the money in the Social Security Trust Fund as though it were general revenue, promising to pay it back. Now that promise is part of the National Debt. So Social Security is just a very large tax collection tool.

Beware the term "Social Security Surplus"; there is no such thing. Social Security is a Ponzi Scheme, there is never more in the Trust Fund than will ever be needed. More Ponzi links: 1 2 3

"The Social Security Trust Fund is simply a meaningless record of taxes that have been collected for future needs, spent for current desires, and then recorded and counted as an asset, .... If we try to create assets for ourself at our local bank by simply recording numbers in our checkbook, I am sure they would not honor such action as a real asset. I suspect that the IRS would consider such action in creating a deduction on a tax return to be fraudulent as well." John Harker.

--- "Deficit" vs. "National Debt" ---

Suppose you need some extra money this month. Since you need extra money, you have a "budget deficit". So you borrow. The amount you then borrowed (and now owe) is called your debt. And you have to pay interest on your debt. If next month you don't have enough money (another budget deficit), you must borrow some more, and you'll still have to pay the interest on the loan. If you have a deficit every month, you keep borrowing and your debt grows. Soon the interest payment on your loan is bigger than any other item in your budget. Eventually, all you can do is pay the interest payment, and you don't have any money left over for anything else. This situation is known as bankruptcy.

Each year since 1969, Congress has spent more money than its income. The Treasury Department has to borrow money to meet Congress's appropriations. Now the total borrowed is about $6,000,000,000,000 and it still growing. Even when government officials claim to have a surplus, they still spend more than they get in.

According to Mr. Kneeland, "...all dollars come from the people. Where do [you] think Coca-Cola gets the money to pay its taxes, Exxon gets its money to pay the Exxon Valdez fines, Denny's gets the money to pay its Justice Department fines, or even Microsoft gets the money to defend itself? It all ultimately can come from only one place, and that's from individuals." And where does the Government get the money to pay the families of the WTC victims?

"For society as a whole, nothing comes as a 'right' to which we are 'entitled'. Even bare subsistence has to be produced.... The only way anyone can have a right to something that has to be produced is to force someone else to produce it... The more things are provided as rights, the less the recipients have to work and the more the providers have to carry the load." Thomas Sowell, quoted in Forbes and Reader's Digest.

"A politician cannot spend one dime on any spending project without first taking that dime from the person who earned it. So, when a politician votes for a spending bill he is saying that he believes the government should spend that particular dollar rather than the individual who worked for it." Neal Boortz.

"There is no such thing as government money - only taxpayer money." William Weld, quoted in Readers Digest.

You are a taxpayer. Is your money being spent the way you want it spent?

I dont have nothing against bush but heres some intresting info.

"You can't say one thing and do another." — George W. Bush, 10/31/00

During the presidential campaign and his first year in office, George W. Bush made a number of promises affecting American families, but he has failed to keep them. From breaching the Social Security lockbox to making it harder for middle class families to pay for college and leaving out millions of seniors from his prescription drug proposal, Bush has made a habit out of saying one thing and doing another. Here is a catalogue of Bush's broken promises revealed in his FY 2003 budget and in other key policy areas. In contrast to Bush's failures, Democrats have a strong record of progress on these issues.

Summary of Bush's Broken Promises

Deficit
Bush said his tax cut would not cause deficits, even in a bad economy.

Bush's FY 2003 budget posts $106 billion deficit, the first deficit since 1997. The budget will return to balance in 2005, at the earliest. Learn more »

Social Security
Bush said Social Security Trust Fund would remain in a lockbox.

Bush breached the Social Security Trust Fund and is on schedule to spend $1.65 trillion of it over the next ten years. Learn more »

National Debt
Bush promised to pay down a record amount of the national debt.

Bush not only failed to pay down the national debt, he has been forced to request a $750 billion increase in the debt limit. Learn more »

Education Reform
As part of the bipartisan education reform, Bush promised to spend more money on education.

Bush budget cut funding from his own "No Child Left Behind" law and provided the smallest education funding increase in seven years. Learn more »

Pell Grants
Bush promised to increase the maximum Pell Grant award, thereby increasing access to higher education.

Bush froze Pell Grant limit below his promised level. Learn more »

LIHEAP
Bush promised to "fully fund" LIHEAP (the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program).

Bush's budget cut LIHEAP by $300 million. Learn more »

Medicare
Bush pledged to provide Medicare prescription drug coverage for all seniors.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that Bush's plan would cover only 6 percent of Medicare beneficiaries. Learn more »

Yucca Mountain
Bush promised to listen to sound science and local officials before deciding to bury the nation's nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain.

Bush designated Yucca Mountain the site before all the science is in, flouting local officials. Learn more »

Student Loans
Bush promised to make higher education more accessible by helping students with high costs.

Bush proposed pulling $1.3 billion from a program that allows students to consolidate education loans at federally subsidized interest rates. Learn more »

As I have stated earlier in other threads, I refuse to engage in a political discussion on a racing forum. Besides, I'd win. But before you go slinging darts at the leader of our nation, take a moment to be thankful for the right to post what you just posted without fear of being executed. Not every country has that right. Also consider that the man had no idea when he was campaigning that a group of monsters would fly planes into our buildings about a year ago. When a nation is attacked, I for one am willing to say that all campaign promises are off. If you choose to count beans, that is your right. Good day sir.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
As I have stated earlier in other threads, I refuse to engage in a political discussion on a racing forum.  Besides, I'd win.  But before you go slinging darts at the leader of our nation, take a moment to be thankful for the right to post what you just posted without fear of being executed.  Not every country has that right.  Also consider that the man had no idea when he was campaigning that a group of monsters would fly planes into our buildings about a year ago.  When a nation is attacked, I for one am willing to say that all campaign promises are off.  If you choose to count beans, that is your right.  Good day sir.
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!!! Great TN-WARD-FAN!:calpping: :calpping: :calpping: :calpping:

You don't want me to go there Smack.........I get plumb unpleasant when it comes to the reasons we have such hugh debt.:(

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
You don't want me to go there Smack.........I get plumb unpleasant when it comes to the reasons we have such hugh debt.:(
Yeah, and its that ARKANSAS CIGAR SMOKER of a so called EX-PREZ.

Originally posted by DUPONT_24_fan
Yeah, and its that ARKANSAS CIGAR SMOKER of a so called EX-PREZ.

Partly DUPONT but it started long before that. It's no simple arguement. Think of where your tax dollars go.......think why your tax dollars go there. We don't fund the necessary things with tax dollars, we fund "feel good" things. I think you can get my gist with that much information. Now I'm done talking about it.

hmm I just came by this info and thought I would share it with everyone I didnt know this was such a sensitive subject. Another funny thing is gore had a totall of 3 million more total votes then bush in the whole usa but we have a certain system we go by.Seems it worked out for most people, I think they both had there strong parts I'm not 18 though so my opinion dont count to them :/ .

You get to vote in the next one smack. And yes we have an Electoral College system of electing our President........not a popular vote system. It's worked for over 200 yrs (and it even worked in 2000) and will continue to work. The rules are layed out for all to see........no last minute changes. Gore lost on electoral votes which is the way he wins or loses.......fair and square. Three million more popular votes doesn't mean squat....they were the "wrong" three million. Sort of like Rusty's lose to Jeffie at Bristol.....Jeffie didn't cheat, he won!

BTW, why is that so interesting?

the majority lost really, and usually what the majority wants it gets.

Im 17 but I think the line should be drawn at 16 I think most 16 year olds are just as responsible as most 18 year olds.

Originally posted by smack500
the majority lost really, and usually what the majority wants it gets.

Did you learn in Civics (is that still what they call it?) that this country is not a true Democracy? We are a Representative Democracy. Your voice is heard by the government through a representative.......not by direct vote (at the federal level). You vote for representatives by direct vote........that representative votes for you in the Congress or Senate. The same thing happens when you vote for President of the Untited States.......you are not voting directly for the candidate. Your are voting for delegates who in turn vote for the candidates. The delegates are elected by your representatives (Congressmen, etc). The delegates vote according to what the majority of constituates want............for the district/districts they represent. The larger the district the more "votes" they have. We have never elected a President using a majority vote......it's a representative vote. By the way did you know that the delegates can change their vote after the first ballot? Popular vote is meaningless in a Presidential Election. Major does not rule......majority of representatives rule.
Simplistic lesson with lots of gaps. Point is, 3 million more popular votes mean absolutely nothing.....it's Electoral Votes that count. Good trivia question twenty years from now, but that's all it is.

Im 17 but I think the line should be drawn at 16 I think most 16 year olds are just as responsible as most 18 year olds.

I don't think most 18 year olds are responsible enough to drive a car much less vote. But each to his own.

Im aware of how the system works DE I didnt say he didnt really win or anything thing like that.I think this is the first time that the person who won didnt have the most total votes though, if it has happened before its rare. Representitives are supose to vote on the candidate the people he is representing wants up there.

But before you go slinging darts at the leader of our nation, take a moment to be thankful for the right to post what you just posted without fear of being executed.

Theres very very few countries that would excute someone for posting media articles on a web forum.

Whens the last time a poor person was president ??? A long long time ago if ever

more and more people are voteing for independents but it will be a long time before one gets elected and from what I have seen you have to have alot of financial backing to be a republican or democrat representitive canadite.

I would like to see a well off or poor person in office.

Also It seems women are getting closer and closer to getting into the presidential office.

Theres very very few countries that would excute someone for posting media articles on a web forum.

And there are quite a few that would not allow a seventeen year old ON the internet. In fact, in more than you realize, you'd be preparing to enter the armed forces very soon if you weren't already there.

You seem to take a lot of your freedoms for granted. There ARE countries where you have the right to occupy space and consume oxygen, and that's about it. Tell ya what...go to Iraq with a laptop and start posting criticisms of Hussein. Go to India and start talking about how unfair the government is. Most 17 year olds there have about 12 years on the job.

I have nothing against you personally, but many of your opinions which you try to pass off as facts are not very popular where I come from. You have every right to your opinions, and to post them if you choose. That's what a forum such as this is for. Additionally, no true learning can occur without the exchange and dissemination of various ideas and theories. Just eb aware that every issue has two or more sides, and if three people are in an elevator, they probably all have different ways of seeing the same issue. Sensitive issues such as politics, religion and sexual orientation should probably be given a little more thought before you delve into a sermon on the internet.

And there are quite a few that would not allow a seventeen year old ON the internet.  In fact, in more than you realize, you'd be preparing to enter the armed forces very soon if you weren't already there.  

You seem to take a lot of your freedoms for granted.  There ARE countries where you have the right to occupy space and consume oxygen, and that's about it.  Tell ya what...go to Iraq with a laptop and start posting criticisms of Hussein.  Go to India and start talking about how unfair the government is.  Most 17 year olds there have about 12 years on the job.  

I have nothing against you personally, but many of your opinions which you try to pass off as facts are not very popular where I come from.  You have every right to your opinions, and to post them if you choose.  That's what a forum such as this is for.  Additionally, no true learning can occur without the exchange and dissemination of various ideas and theories.  Just eb aware that every issue has two or more sides, and if three people are in an elevator, they probably all have different ways of seeing the same issue.  Sensitive issues such as politics, religion and sexual orientation should probably be given a little more thought before you delve into a sermon on the internet.
AGAIN....AMEN!!!! Tell that Dang TEENY BOPPER!

my first 3 post were ezact quotes from informative websites ( I even put the links with the post), and you said I was bashing thats pretty ignorant seeing none of that had anything on them had to do with my opinion. Next time I see you post a article of any kind ill be sure to get on your case.

my first 3 post were ezact quotes from informative websites ( I even put the links with the post), and you said I was bashing thats pretty ignorant seeing none of that had anything on them had to do with my opinion. Next time I see you post a article of any kind ill be sure to get on your case.
CRY TO YOUR MOMMY:waa: :bawling: You are NOT of VOTING age yet, and those so-called informative websites are OPINIONS of other people. Do you believe everything you read little boy? Let me tell you something...You are just 17...a KID; enjoy it while you can, and have fun, so Quit ACTING like you're all GROWN UP! You DON'T know all of the facts, so give it up! OK!

ig·no·rant Pronunciation Key (gnr-nt)
adj.
Lacking education or knowledge.
Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge

I HIGHLY doubt that TN Ward Fan fits that description. He who has a college degree, What do you have? Oh thats right not even a high school diploma. When you grow up you too will realize that politics do not belong everywhere in the world and just because you read it somewhere does not make it true. Next time you will hopefully think a little more to the can of worms you may be opening. As in this case , smack, I will tell you its a snake don't touch it.

And I thought only Yankee schools spoonfed their students such liberal pablum... :rolleyes:

I dont care what he has ironman, he says I posted my opinion and tryed to make it look like fact. I posted articles from websites, I didn't just type that up myself. If you post a article on here of any kind does that mean that the article reflects all of your opinions. Dupont_24_fan your picture needs to be beside the word ignorant, I find it funny how when someone post a article you like you say thanks for the info, but yet when someone post a article you dislike you call it bashing. TN ward thats selective vision you have.

Thanks for the psycho analysis. The diagnosis of a 17 year old means a lot to me. :rolleyes:

Age doesnt mean much TNW if it did why would microsofts youngest tech be 12 years old.

I dont care what he has ironman  

Smack, you should care what someone has when you make a personal slam against someone. Calling TWF ignorant was untrue and possibly opening yourself up for something that you may not have been able to handle. I was just warning you, hence me telling you that it was a snake don't touch it. In the future I will not warn you, I will let him pounce, since you don't seem to care.

oh and so no one thinks Im lieing about a tech being that young I even found a tech thats younger then that heres a 11 year old tech.

http://www.netlondon.com/news/2000-43/173C...9072B62802.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh my goodness you act like were 2 countries and were about to go to war or something.You don't accuse someone of bashing anything when all they did was post a article someone else wrote, and I even posted the link the site was from. I don't think you would like it much if you shared a article with someone and they acted like you wrote it and you didn't in no way claim you wrote it.Also they acuse you of trying to make your opinions seem as facts yet you copyed articles directly from sites and posted them to the forum.I am done talking about this it has gotin rediculously out of hand.

Going to be frank here...

Smack: As you know, I agree with Ward on this. I believe you post these articles, that you present as fact, because you are trying to make a particular argument with a very particular sociopolitical slant -- without actually using your own words. Let's face it, someone else is bound to say it better. Why not just borrow someone else's words?

A week before the anniversary of 9/11, and you want to talk about stuff like the national debt, Bush's so-called broken promises, and how the wrong man won the 2000 election. To say that you don't have some sort of agenda here is being disingenous. And all this in a racing forum, where folks with deep-rooted beliefs on this subject deliberately refrain from discussing it because it's too incendiary and would ultimately cause too many hurt feelings amongst friends.

So, when Ward calls you on this, you go and call him ignorant. A man twice your age who treated you with respect in his previous posts. To add fuel to the fire, you're completely unapologetic about it.

I just don't get how you don't get it. :headshake

Originally posted by DUPONT_24_fan
CRY TO YOUR MOMMY:waa: :bawling: You are NOT of VOTING age yet, and those so-called informative websites are OPINIONS of other people. Do you believe everything you read little boy? Let me tell you something...You are just 17...a KID; enjoy it while you can, and have fun, so Quit ACTING like you're all GROWN UP! You DON'T know all of the facts, so give it up! OK!

I think you need to grow up and show people a little more respect. I've seen you act like an ass to many people here and haven't seen anyone act rude to you.

If you don't like the people here you can leave, anytime.

Originally posted by Dutch
I think you need to grow up and show people a little more respect.  I've seen you act like an ass to many people here and haven't seen anyone act rude to you.

If you don't like the people here you can leave, anytime.

:)

I refuse to get into political arguments of any kind...............
BUT, having said that I believe the USA needs to take care of it's own and STOP funding other countries who never even pay the interest on the "loans" we have given. (Except Israel)

Damn Iraq even owes the US $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

THE END

Originally posted by abooja
Going to be frank here...

Smack: As you know, I agree with Ward on this. I believe you post these articles, that you present as fact, because you are trying to make a particular argument with a very particular sociopolitical slant -- without actually using your own words. Let's face it, someone else is bound to say it better. Why not just borrow someone else's words?  

A week before the anniversary of 9/11, and you want to talk about stuff like the national debt, Bush's so-called broken promises, and how the wrong man won the 2000 election. To say that you don't have some sort of agenda here is being disingenous. And all this in a racing forum, where folks with deep-rooted beliefs on this subject deliberately refrain from discussing it because it's too incendiary and would ultimately cause too many hurt feelings amongst friends.

So, when Ward calls you on this, you go and call him ignorant. A man twice your age who treated you with respect in his previous posts. To add fuel to the fire, you're completely unapologetic about it.  

I just don't get how you can't get it. :headshake

Acusing me of bashing the president and saying I try to make my opinions facts is not being respectful. ALso your wrong totally wrong I made a topic long ago about do you think bush has done a good job since being elected and did he do a good job with the 9/11 incident, I supported him whole hartedly. I think bush is a great leader and has done a great job, I was aiming towards what do people think we should do to help stop get rid of the debt and what can the president do. Again I dont see how age has to do with anything unless I was 2. I have great grades in school I am A+ certified and certified in cisco. I dont think that has anything to do with a arguement though.

Paul is the one who posted the article about tony stewart being in that incident I guess he beleives what the meida says. HS posts articles all the time Im sure he goes along with writers of each of those post.

I am not gonna sit here and let everyone get in line and get a crack at me and I have to give excuses for myself

Do whatever you have to do, Smack. I'm not looking to take potshots at you. I just don't feel you're playing fair in this instance. I have nothing against you personally. Just wish you'd be a bit less arrogant about your opinions.

On that subject, Paul posted a :( with that article about Tony Stewart. When HardScrabble posts articles, it is almost always accompanied by a well thought out, carefully worded response. I don't believe I've ever heard him call someone ignorant, and he's certainly witnessed some of that from time to time. I, myself, have been a contributor.

You may be a really bright kid and all, but that doesn't give you the right to be so condescending and snotty, at times. We all are from time to time, but I, for one, have learned to (eventually) apologize.

*Off my soapbox*

Smack, I think you're an incredibly intelligent person and I think you know that there are some things wrong in this world and that makes you upset. It makes me upset too. I think that you will harness this passion you have and really make yourself good in the future...but ya gotta pick your battles man. :)

I meant every word of that, I truly believe that your motives are just and good.

Im sorry but I find it very offencive when someone acuses me of bashing the leader of our country I dont find that very respectful maybe you do but not me. ALso about the comment about me trying to pass opinions off as facts yet I acopany my info with links. I dont find that very nice either. Your and my opinon of respectful must greatly differ.

Yea De should have droped this a long time ago.

thank you paul I feel the same about you. TNW I repect you as a person Also I apologize for calling you ignorant I just didn't apreciate the bashing comment. Lets just drop the whole argument :)

Back
Top Bottom