NBC poll on potential changes

Also, within 15 years no one will be regularly driving a car. I know I bring this up alot, but it is the biggest problem autoracing will have ever encountered.
Have you seen the RC drone racing? Its fantastic stuff

That great big millennial generation which doesn't like driving hugs trees and would rather live in a cubbyhole and walk to work?

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with the fact that, when you account for literally everything, a car costs more now than a house did when my parents graduated high school. Or the fact that the cost of getting a college degree has skyrocketed. And the costs for everything have skyrocketed while wages have remained stagnant (they've declined when adjusted to account for everything). Has nothing to do with the fact that the economy my parents grew up in, they could pay their college bills, buy a car and put a downpayment on a house fresh out of high school on a minimum wage budget.

If my grandfather's Ford pickup truck wasn't in excellent shape, I wouldn't be driving now because I can't afford to buy a car.

Donald Trump's election showed us just how many people still live in rural areas though. You can't live without a personal vehicle in many of these rural places. Imagine living somewhere where the closest grocery store to you is 20 miles away.

I agree 100% as for every city dweller cramped in a 500 sq ft studio apt there is someone in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with the fact that, when you account for literally everything, a car costs more now than a house did when my parents graduated high school. Or the fact that the cost of getting a college degree has skyrocketed. And the costs for everything have skyrocketed while wages have remained stagnant (they've declined when adjusted to account for everything). Has nothing to do with the fact that the economy my parents grew up in, they could pay their college bills, buy a car and put a downpayment on a house fresh out of high school on a minimum wage budget.

If my grandfather's Ford pickup truck wasn't in excellent shape, I wouldn't be driving now because I can't afford to buy a car.

When I was a kid we left home no later than 18 and made our own way because we could. We never thought about moving back home or moving back home with our own children as it just wasn't done.

I know parents in their 50's and 60's that are still providing monetarily and with other resources as the kids can't make it. When you don't have a job that pays much and you can't afford health insurance a car is not even on the radar screen.

I dont see on the list not making any changes at all option.

Has nothing to do with the fact that the economy my parents grew up in, they could pay their college bills, buy a car and put a downpayment on a house fresh out of high school on a minimum wage budget.
LOL

I just talked to a young person who works part of the year in DC and the rest in another part of the country and she is done with owning a vehicle as she uses an app called Lift (I believe) plus Uber, car pooling (you don't have to have a car to participate) and some other service if you need a car in order to go to the sticks or something like that.
In order to call Uber or other similar service, there has to be someone with a car to respond to your call.

Not owning a vehicle is out my realm of thinking.
I can't see it under my present circumstances - working, medium-sized suburban town with no mass transit. I could see circumstances after retirement when we might live in a town with a decent mass transit system and being walking distance from groceries, etc. I certainly don't see us owning two vehicles after retirement.

Or we could sell everything and take up the RV lifestyle.

Or neither of the above.

I can't see it under my present circumstances - working, medium-sized suburban town with no mass transit. I could see circumstances after retirement when we might live in a town with a decent mass transit system and being walking distance from groceries, etc. I certainly don't see us owning two vehicles after retirement.

Or we could sell everything and take up the RV lifestyle.

Or neither of the above.
I have this unnatural attraction to the internal combustion engine, especially the big block Ford FE's like the 390 and the 428.

Millennials didn't get the joy of the open road that older generations did because most of us grew up in sprawling suburbs where our main exposure to cars was less Route 66 and more sitting in gridlock among mile after mile of WalMarts and Burger Kings. Yes, being a poorer generation is part of the problem like Andy mentioned, but I think it is also a reaction to the excesses of the previous generations. We decided having a cluster castle isn't worth, to quote Tim McGraw, the suppers from a sack and 99 cent heart attacks.

NASCAR may be ok with driverless CARS, MANY KIDS LIKE THE REMOTE CONTROL CARS.

Minimum of 5 miles for me to purchase any type of food product or gasoline. A vehicle will always be in my future.

Millennials didn't get the joy of the open road that older generations did because most of us grew up in sprawling suburbs where our main exposure to cars was less Route 66 and more sitting in gridlock among mile after mile of WalMarts and Burger Kings. Yes, being a poorer generation is part of the problem like Andy mentioned, but I think it is also a reaction to the excesses of the previous generations. We decided having a cluster castle isn't worth, to quote Tim McGraw, the suppers from a sack and 99 cent heart attacks.
What's a 'cluster castle'? Googling it turned up a Kentucky jewelry store and a Welsh semiconductor manufacturer. I can't find any connection between the term and cheap hamburgers.

That can't be it. They don't give a hoot when every basketball game goes 20 minutes over schedule.
If every basketball game goes 20 min over they can plan for that. Basketball doesn't have rain delays or red flags that can add hours. Timed races won't fix that.

Minimum of 5 miles for me to purchase any type of food product or gasoline. A vehicle will always be in my future.

I figure drones will be delivering my beer and groceries in a couple of years but regardless from my cold dead hands shall my steering wheel be taken from me.

Wow. NASCAR really is a dying sport.

The NBA isn't about basketball anymore, it's about the super star.

Same principle is applicable to NASCAR. It's a product more than a racing league now

Wow. NASCAR really is a dying sport.

The NBA isn't about basketball anymore, it's about the super star.

Same principle is applicable to NASCAR. It's a product more than a racing league now

Nascar has a product that many of its former fans have rejected and one that fails to capture the imagination or attention of most young people today. I always thought vinyl records would have a big presence and then I though cassette tapes would. Finally when CD's came out 30 odd years ago I thought that was it that nothing could possibly top them. Over my lifetime there have been lots of things I did not expect to disappear or become niche items and maybe Nascar is headed for a boutique series. IDK.

That can't be it. They don't give a hoot when every basketball game goes 20 minutes over schedule.

No, NBA regular season games are quite consistent in length at 2:15-2:20 average, and playoff games are pretty consistently about 15-20 minutes longer than that. Overtime games change that, but not more than 15-30 minutes except in rare cases.

This push is all about pleasing the TV networks. That's the money supporting the entire endeavor. I would guess there is some thought among network execs that casual fans who would only watch portions of races would take more note of "15 minutes to go" than "30 laps to go", because the casual fan has no idea how long 30 laps will take.

Back
Top Bottom