Need help attending a race

Jorge De Guzman

2017, 2021 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor
so the Miss and I have decided we wanted to try to go to another race this year (besides our home track) after having to cancel our trip to Daytona a few weeks ago. Even though it's pretty late in the game I have decided I'm torn between going to Bristol for the NRA Night Race in a month or to Darlington for the Great Southern Tradition, the Southern 500 (my favorite race). Let me explain the options: I am in the Chicagoland area so 1.) For Bristol we will suck it up and drive the 9 hours. I was thinking of leaving Thursday and coming back Sunday. We could fly from O'Hare to the Tri Cities but with layovers and connecting flights its just 2 hours less than driving, mind as well just drive it gives us greater flexibility. I don't know where to stay though, ( I don't care about price of hotels. I feel if you're going to commit to this dig deep into that wallet) I'm torn between staying in Knoxville, Johnson City Tn and that's really the only ideas I have for that. I want to be maximum 2 hrs from track but want to have something to do for the Miss in terms of shopping or staying in a cool town with bars or shops. So any ideas from the veterans for this? 2.) For Darlington I was going to leave Thursday of the race and come back on Tuesday. I was thinking of staying in Charlotte because it's easy to fly into and Friday I could go see race shops/museums of RCR, Hendrick Motorsports and the NASCAR Hall Of Fame as well as with some time driving to see North Wilkesboro Speedway (at least trying to get pictures of it). How long is the drive from Charlotte to Darlington and has anyone ever done it? I was also thinking of staying in Florence, SC but know zero about the area and my third choice is Myrtle Beach but I know that's a way from the track. Please help with any tips, if this doesn't work out might try for Phoenix in November.

First choice, would be what Ford Racing said, but if not, Phoenix, our weather here for the race usually really nice, and I am here too, so that's a plus:D

Roughly 60 miles from Bristol, right across the nc line would be a cheap and easy place to get a hotel. Boone, nc is a small college town and it's just up the mountain a piece from wilkesboro. Prices aren't affected by the race at all. Even cheaper is 20 - 30 minutes north of Boone in ashe county. It's the same distance away but there's absolutely nothing to do and no good places to eat.

I have a house in these areas and so would be able to give you more details via dm if you would like.

Wow, two great choices and totally different experiences. Been to both, multiple times. I have not found Florence to be the kind of town I would visit. Given your criteria, I wold choose the Darlington/Charlotte option. You have a ton of things to do away from the track, great lodging options and some of the best NASCAR racing out there. Plus it's throwback weekend.

Both are great races but like many historic tracks, they don't have a whole lot of other stuff going on in the immediate area.

For what it's worth, you might check into flying into Asheville NC instead of Tri-Cities. It's about 90 minutes from the track, interstate all the way, but a 15-mile stretch is rather twisty and is a bad option if you plan on getting plastered. If you're driving and all you're interested in is the race, Johnson City is okay but there isn't much to do there. I'd hate to wait out a rain day in that town, but it is the closest town to the track. I'd go to Knoxville if you want to have other options and the weather looks iffy; driving definitely gives you that flexibility.

Are there direct flights from Chicago to Columbia, SC? It's definitely closer to Darlington than Charlotte is, just under an hour on I-20. Cheaper rooms and more options than Florence. Regarding Myrtle Beach, it's a great place to stay, with things to do, but you'll be competing for hotel space with all the other Labor Day end-of-summer one-last-trip-to-the-beach crowds. Also, while the route between there and the track is dual-lane, it isn't interstate. It features a lot of reduced speed zone for small towns. Cautious respect for the speed limits is advised at all times, esp. during the summer beach season; doubly so on race weekend.

I would choose Bristol of the three. The Darlington race sounds hot but great to watch on tv. Phoenix is my home track and I'm worried the new renovations are going to make the racing terrible. They are basically eliminating the dogleg by having the pit road exit be there instead. And they moved the start/finish line to the back stretch just before the dogleg so all the action on the restarts, that NASCAR loves so much, will happen in turns 1 and 2 which are now located on the opposite end of the race track from the grandstands. If you go to Phoenix, the best seat in the house will probably be on rattle snake hill now.
5F8B940BB7154492BAFFECEB9FACAF0C.ashx

Thanks everyone, you truly have all been a HUGE help. Your knowledge and tips are going to be put to great use. The Miss informed me that we have a wedding to go to on Sept 2nd, which isnt her fault its my friend's wedding and I totally forgot about it. Those Save the Date Cards strike again....... so The Southern 500 is out. ( but Im thinking that might be THE ONE for next year.) So its down to Bristol, or Phoenix. I'd love Martinsville but I dont want to take up too much thread time here with my vacation problems.

Both are great races but like many historic tracks, they don't have a whole lot of other stuff going on in the immediate area.

For what it's worth, you might check into flying into Asheville NC instead of Tri-Cities. It's about 90 minutes from the track, interstate all the way, but a 15-mile stretch is rather twisty and is a bad option if you plan on getting plastered. If you're driving and all you're interested in is the race, Johnson City is okay but there isn't much to do there. I'd hate to wait out a rain day in that town, but it is the closest town to the track. I'd go to Knoxville if you want to have other options and the weather looks iffy; driving definitely gives you that flexibility.

Are there direct flights from Chicago to Columbia, SC? It's definitely closer to Darlington than Charlotte is, just under an hour on I-20. Cheaper rooms and more options than Florence. Regarding Myrtle Beach, it's a great place to stay, with things to do, but you'll be competing for hotel space with all the other Labor Day end-of-summer one-last-trip-to-the-beach crowds. Also, while the route between there and the track is dual-lane, it isn't interstate. It features a lot of reduced speed zone for small towns. Cautious respect for the speed limits is advised at all times, esp. during the summer beach season; doubly so on race weekend.
Had no idea about Columbia which we do have flights too and they arnt too bad. and that'd be neat for me because its right in the heart of SEC Country and I'd bum around USC for a day and buy some Gamecock gear. This is going to help greatly if we do the Southern 500 next year. Thanks so much.

I would choose Bristol of the three. The Darlington race sounds hot but great to watch on tv. Phoenix is my home track and I'm worried the new renovations are going to make the racing terrible. They are basically eliminating the dogleg by having the pit road exit be there instead. And they moved the start/finish line to the back stretch just before the dogleg so all the action on the restarts, that NASCAR loves so much, will happen in turns 1 and 2 which are now located on the opposite end of the race track from the grandstands. If you go to Phoenix, the best seat in the house will probably be on rattle snake hill now.
5F8B940BB7154492BAFFECEB9FACAF0C.ashx
I thought the Renovation wasnt finished till next year?

For those that have been to Bristol, I see Knoxville is a nice place to stay but staying in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg ( sorry probably SP) are those doable drive on the day to a race?

According to the PIR website they have a construction camera up and running. I suspect everything will be completed by November's race.
hmm interesting, I liked the old, old Phoenix layout myself before the dog leg was bastardized the first time, but I've always wanted to go there regardless. Lots of History at that track.

hmm interesting, I liked the old, old Phoenix layout myself before the dog leg was bastardized the first time, but I've always wanted to go there regardless. Lots of History at that track.
Correction, per the website FAQ, it says the construction will be completed in the Fall of 2018. Not sure when the S/F line will be moved or the pit road will be changed, but if they are doing construciton now, it seems silly that the track won't change by this november.
I liked the Old Old track too.

Well, if its coming down to Bristol or Phoenix, I would go with Bristol, but ive been to plenty of race here, and Bristol is on my list , plus, I am not there :D

Well, if its coming down to Bristol or Phoenix, I would go with Bristol, but ive been to plenty of race here, and Bristol is on my list , plus, I am not there :D
So you've been to the Phoenix race because youre from the area? How's the track amenities and how's traffic on raceday?

So you've been to the Phoenix race because youre from the area? How's the track amenities and how's traffic on raceday?
Yeah, first race for me was 97 I think, I havent been since 2012, then it was not as great as other tracks, but nothing me personally I would complain about either. Traffic can suck, but the county does a good job at making sure it keeps it moving, they add more lanes for before the race and do the same for after the race. Getting out of the lots takes the longest time, once you are on the road, its smooth sailing.

For seating, the last few years, we sat in the grandstands between 1/2, those are in my opinion the best seats as you can see the entire track( minus all of pit road) , but you gotta get high, in 2012 we paid about $120-ish per seat but it was worth it.

For those that have been to Bristol, I see Knoxville is a nice place to stay but staying in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg ( sorry probably SP) are those doable drive on the day to a race?
The local economies are based entirely on tourism, it's the height of their season, and you'll be competing for hotel space with a slew of people at seasonal rates. Coming back to either Saturday night will involve 20 or 30 miles of non-interstate at the end. During the day, traffic in either will be horrendous. There's a short track in nearby Newport that used to put on a good show. Smoky Mountains National Park is adjacent, although it's crowded this time of year. There's also plenty of whitewater rafting and zip lines in the area, if that's your thing and time permits.

Me, I'd stick with Knoxville. More options. Just one idjit's opinion.

The local economies are based entirely on tourism, it's the height of their season, and you'll be competing for hotel space with a slew of people at seasonal rates. Coming back to either Saturday night will involve 20 or 30 miles of non-interstate at the end. During the day, traffic in either will be horrendous. There's a short track in nearby Newport that used to put on a good show. Smoky Mountains National Park is adjacent, although it's crowded this time of year. There's also plenty of whitewater rafting and zip lines in the area, if that's your thing and time permits.

Me, I'd stick with Knoxville. More options. Just one idjit's opinion.
Okay 90% sure we are going to Bristol. Staying in Knoxville more options for sure. Now as for tickets I am looking at Richard Petty Terrace row 28 or David Pearson Row 7, whats better. If I sit row 1 in a turn will I be able to see whole track or is it better to sit high up?

Okay 90% sure we are going to Bristol. Staying in Knoxville more options for sure. Now as for tickets I am looking at Richard Petty Terrace row 28 or David Pearson Row 7, whats better. If I sit row 1 in a turn will I be able to see whole track or is it better to sit high up?
I've never sat low in a turn there so I'm not sure of an answer for you. I can tell you that a few years ago, when we gave up our season tickets, we had seats on the backstretch, Earnhardt Terrace and the start/finish line, flagman high. I watched my last race from those seats on the front stretch, behind the flagman. I think I loved those seats the most. Right on top of the action. Good stuff. You are going to have a blast.

Every time I've been to Bristol, I've sat about 3/4 up in between one and two. I don't see how any seats could be better.

You're going to freak out once you walk into Bristol - and may pass out when the race starts. That place is unbelievable.

The first time I walked into Bristol was entering the backstretch gate. From the outside, it was the most impressive grandstand structure I'd ever seen. The sheer magnitude and height is incomprehensible. Then I walk inside...and realize "ground level" in the parking lot is already halfway up the 80+ rows of grandstands...

Sit below the Terrace level seats. I sat in row 1 on the backstretch of the Jeff Gordon Terrace (they're the lowest Terrace seats at the track). Anything higher would've been too high, imo.

Had no idea about Columbia which we do have flights too and they arnt too bad. and that'd be neat for me because its right in the heart of SEC Country and I'd bum around USC for a day and buy some Gamecock gear. This is going to help greatly if we do the Southern 500 next year. Thanks so much.
And Columbia is only about two hours to Mooresville where the race shops are. Sounds like your best bet

Do NOT sit in Wallace tower in turns 1 and 2. The light towers draw every flying insect in the tri-state area. I have no reports from Kulwicki Terrace but suspect those seats may suffer from the same infusion of mobile protein sources.

Never been to Bristol but it doesn't strike me as a place where you need to be that high up to see well. Although hearing may be a factor.

you can get a direct flight from ORD to Knoxville if you decide on BMS, i would suggest greeneville tn. for hotel its about 45 min. from the track
do not stay in Boone the road is horrible. 2 lane through the mt's. if you fly into Asheville ou are just as likely to get a delay as you are Tri citys. the coll thing about tri citys is you get to see all the trams planes the are all there.
also try to get seats in the Allison tower if possible. they are front stretch seats.

how do i know this you ask ? I live there

you can get a direct flight from ORD to Knoxville if you decide on BMS, i would suggest greeneville tn. for hotel its about 45 min. from the track
do not stay in Boone the road is horrible. 2 lane through the mt's. if you fly into Asheville ou are just as likely to get a delay as you are Tri citys. the coll thing about tri citys is you get to see all the trams planes the are all there.
also try to get seats in the Allison tower if possible. they are front stretch seats.

how do i know this you ask ? I live there
Thanks very helpful!

We only do one race now and that's Las Vegas. The seats we get are right across from pit-in and we go for the stadium ones with the backs, armrests and cup holders. They are comfortable you can watch your car all the way around the track from them.
There is a ton of stuff to do when you are not at the track too. The wives are not into the races, so they go shopping while we are at the track
The Neon Pits are great too! I know it's a bit more money, but coming back from the track all hot and dusty to a luxury hotel, getting cleaned up and then going out for a night on the town is sweet.

Back
Top Bottom