New 2008 IRL Qualification Rules

D

DanicaFan

Well, it appears that the IRL will have new qualification rules for this coming year on oval tracks. There are 11 oval races in the schedule this year.

They will go to a 4 lap qualification attempt and the average speed of those laps will determine the starting grid. This is the way the 500 is. They will get 1 attempt.
The previous qualification attemps on ovals(other than Indy500) were that there 1 lap speed determined their starting position. They were allowed a max of 2 laps, if 2 were used, the fastest lap becomes their starting position.

All road and street course qualifications will remain the same. 1 lap speed along with the Firestone Fast 6.

Going to be interesting. I think it may make the qualifications a little more exciting but it will remain to be seen.

All in all, it's good prep for Indy. I think you're right, it should be more interesting.

Well, it looks I will have to re-emerge this thread. The qualification rules will be changing for road and street courses, starting with St. Petersburg this weekend. The new format is as follows...

Qualifying will begin with a random division of the 26 drivers into groups of 13 for two 20-minute time trials. The top six from each session will advance to a combined grouping that lasts 15 minutes. The fastest six from that will battle in a final 10-minute session that will determine pole position and the first three starting rows. All 26 cars are guaranteed spots.

Under the old rules, they held single-car qualifying, then grouped the top six into a pole shootout

Back
Top Bottom