New all-female W Series to launch in 2019

Six 30-minute races; almost any Cup race is longer than the entire season.

Formula series; nuff said.

Sorry, I see nothing to indicate the racing itself will interest me, regardless of driver gender.

Reactions: sdj
Trying to make a buck. I thought the Global Rallycross series would do well with the millennials . It went from the reported fastest growing motor sport series in 2014 to nothing in 2018. This might work for awhile until the novelty wears off. I wonder who is going to go to all the effort to go see a 30 minute race. Some of Nacar's anthem singers take that long.

Trying to make a buck. I thought the Global Rallycross series would do well with the millennials . It went from the reported fastest growing motor sport series in 2014 to nothing in 2018. This might work for awhile until the novelty wears off. I wonder who is going to go to all the effort to go see a 30 minute race. Some of Nacar's anthem singers take that long.

The series died because of a) terrible promotion and b) the announcement that they were going to go completely spec and Andretti and the rest pulled out. Go figure right?

As far as this series: Very weak attempt at progressiveness.

Bruh I don't want to watch Carmen Jordan, she's horrible.

Its a cool concept, but it just drives the concept of women not being able to compete with men. This divides things more than anything tbh. I'll definately keep an eye out for the series, but its not going to last long IMHO. I know there will be some talented ladies though, but with all of the unknown quantities will be interesting to really gauge against their male counterparts from a standpoint of who the champion will be.

I thought I remember reading about this but that the idea had been scrapped. Hard pass nonetheless

In theory it is a good way to attract women to the sport who are currently not motorpsort fans. In practice it will likely be an utter failure.

Ya never know. Sure would be something if that series builds and they get a battle of the sexes going.

Here is the schedule here:http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/24207/female-only-w-series-to-follow-2019-dtm-schedule

I have seen this powder puff play before with the Womans Global Gt Series in 1999 and 2000.
There were some interesting races but it usually had your same top 3 or 4 battling for the win.
Hmmmm, just like most racing today. That series gave us Milka Dunno who had limited success
in the big leagues.

Maybe they can tie in some sort of incentive that the season champion gets a qualifying spot
in the indy 500 or an F1 race .

Wonder if there is a market for this type of thing under the NASCAR banner? Probably not, but
the series really could use more female racers at all levels.

Racing in general could use more women, but I don't see segregating them as a viable long-term approach.

Maybe I'm ignorant of the factors involved but I don't see any physical reasons why women can't drive a car competitively against men. Women don't seem to have any problem competing in drag racing or some classes of sports car racing. (Maybe somebody needs to look at those forms of racing and see what's to be learned.)

That leaves non-physical reasons, and the primary cure for those is money.

Ya never know. Sure would be something if that series builds and they get a battle of the sexes going.

That's the problem though, I think its just I'd rather see the ladies challenge against other men IMHO. I like the concept of the series, but its just there are a lot of talented young ladies in a Tatiana Calderon, Alice Powell, and Beiske Visser to name a few.

I don't like separating them, but I bet there are plenty who are interested in the series. Exposure and most importantly a form of income for all participating. This series could sink or swim, I hope to see it have some longevity.

"Six drivers, Alice Powell (UK), Shea Holbrook (USA), Naomi Schiff (Belgium), Emma Kimilainen (Finland), Stephane Kox (Netherlands) and Vicky Piria (Italy), have been chosen as ambassadors to represent all the W Series qualifiers and attend the glittering 2018 Autosport Awards event in London on Sunday December 2."

I suspect those six already have a leg up on their competitors when it comes to making the final cut.

As long as the women have to do the same things a male driver have to at the same length of time and duration, I am good with it, but, if it is ran on a special rules curve and funky set of special race rules of any kind, I am against it.:idunno:

This series reeks. Sounds like a lot of talented drivers are/were passed over for marketing candidates and a lot of the results they put up over the test weekend didn't really factor into the final selections.

About what you would expect when a bunch of dudes put together a 'W Series'.

18 drivers and 4 reserve drivers have been selected and Natalie Decker is not among them.

I expect Jamie Chadwick to dominate since she's a proven winner in the British F3 Series, also kinda cool to see a driver from Liechtenstein in an international series.

https://wseries.com/w-hub/w-series-announces-its-driver-line-up/
The following 18 successful drivers will race in W Series:

Jamie Chadwick, UK
Sabre Cook, USA
Marta Garcia, Spain
Megan Gilkes, Canada
Esmee Hawkey, UK
Jessica Hawkins, UK
Shea Holbrook, USA
Emma Kimilainen, Finland
Miki Koyama, Japan
Sarah Moore, UK
Tasmin Pepper, South Africa
Vicky Piria, Italy
Alice Powell, UK
Gosia Rdest, Poland
Naomi Schiff, Belgium
Beitske Visser, Netherlands
Fabienne Wohlwend, Liechtenstein
Caitlin Wood, Australia

These are the four reserves for W Series:

Sarah Bovy, Belgium

Vivien Keszthelyi, Hungary

Stephane Kox, Netherlands

Francesca Linossi, Italy

18 drivers and 4 reserve drivers have been selected and Natalie Decker is not among them.

I expect Jamie Chadwick to dominate since she's a proven winner in the British F3 Series, also kinda cool to see a driver from Liechtenstein in an international series.

https://wseries.com/w-hub/w-series-announces-its-driver-line-up/
The following 18 successful drivers will race in W Series:

Jamie Chadwick, UK
Sabre Cook, USA
Marta Garcia, Spain
Megan Gilkes, Canada
Esmee Hawkey, UK
Jessica Hawkins, UK
Shea Holbrook, USA
Emma Kimilainen, Finland
Miki Koyama, Japan
Sarah Moore, UK
Tasmin Pepper, South Africa
Vicky Piria, Italy
Alice Powell, UK
Gosia Rdest, Poland
Naomi Schiff, Belgium
Beitske Visser, Netherlands
Fabienne Wohlwend, Liechtenstein
Caitlin Wood, Australia

These are the four reserves for W Series:

Sarah Bovy, Belgium

Vivien Keszthelyi, Hungary

Stephane Kox, Netherlands

Francesca Linossi, Italy

I expected to know atleast a few of their names....

Chadwick, Holbrook, Piria, Powell, Visser, and Cook I have heard of those ladies before.

Good luck to them all though, make most of this opprotunity.

You've never heard of Belgium or Liechtenstein?
Yeah but no mention of Fabienne Wohlwend from Liechtenstein. .

upload_2019-3-30_17-55-53.jpeg

The W Series will continue in 2020. The Top 12 of 2019 are automatically qualified for next year, in addition to 6 drivers that were chosen following a test at Almeira in Spain.

the 2020 drivers are:
Jamie Chadwick UK 21 1st
Beitske Visser Netherlands 24 2nd
Alice Powell UK 26 3rd
Marta Garcia Spain 19 4th
Emma Kimilainen Finland 30 5th
Fabienne Wohlwend Liechtenstein 21 6th
Miki Koyama Japan 21 7th
Sarah Moore UK 25 8th
Vicky Piria Italy 25 9th
Tasmin Pepper South Africa 29 10th
Jessica Hawkins UK 24 11th
Sabre Cook USA 24 12th
Ayla Agren Norway 25 New entrant
Abbie Eaton UK 27 New entrant
Belen Garcia Spain 20 New entrant
Nerea Marti Spain 17 New entrant
Irina Sidorkova Russia 16 New entrant
Bruna Tomaselli Brazil 21 New entrant

Katherine Legge and Tatiana Calderon also took part in the test, but were not selected.

The Grid girls had more cred

Back
Top Bottom