New all-female W Series to launch in 2019

Discussion in 'Open Wheel Racing' started by donthaveanickname, Oct 11, 2018.

1. donthaveanickname

donthaveanickname Team Owner

2. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Six 30-minute races; almost any Cup race is longer than the entire season.

Formula series; nuff said.

Sorry, I see nothing to indicate the racing itself will interest me, regardless of driver gender.

sdj likes this.
  3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This ain't it.

4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Trying to make a buck. I thought the Global Rallycross series would do well with the millennials . It went from the reported fastest growing motor sport series in 2014 to nothing in 2018. This might work for awhile until the novelty wears off. I wonder who is going to go to all the effort to go see a 30 minute race. Some of Nacar's anthem singers take that long.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  5. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

A colleague of mine was into autocross and they had a female class; I argued the car didn't know the difference. I don't know if they still have a female class.

FLRacingFan and Charlie Spencer like this.
  6. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

mixed feelings. Id like to see ladies be good racers not good female racers.

7. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

The series died because of a) terrible promotion and b) the announcement that they were going to go completely spec and Andretti and the rest pulled out. Go figure right?

As far as this series: Very weak attempt at progressiveness.

8. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Bruh I don't want to watch Carmen Jordan, she's horrible.

Its a cool concept, but it just drives the concept of women not being able to compete with men. This divides things more than anything tbh. I'll definately keep an eye out for the series, but its not going to last long IMHO. I know there will be some talented ladies though, but with all of the unknown quantities will be interesting to really gauge against their male counterparts from a standpoint of who the champion will be.

9. Reck

Reck Enrique?

I thought I remember reading about this but that the idea had been scrapped. Hard pass nonetheless

FLRacingFan likes this.
  10. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

In theory it is a good way to attract women to the sport who are currently not motorpsort fans. In practice it will likely be an utter failure.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

12. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

Could be interesting. I’ll give it a year and formulate an opinion on it.

13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Ya never know. Sure would be something if that series builds and they get a battle of the sexes going.

14. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

Here is the schedule here:http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/24207/female-only-w-series-to-follow-2019-dtm-schedule

I have seen this powder puff play before with the Womans Global Gt Series in 1999 and 2000.
    There were some interesting races but it usually had your same top 3 or 4 battling for the win.
    Hmmmm, just like most racing today. That series gave us Milka Dunno who had limited success
    in the big leagues.

Maybe they can tie in some sort of incentive that the season champion gets a qualifying spot
    in the indy 500 or an F1 race .

Wonder if there is a market for this type of thing under the NASCAR banner? Probably not, but
    the series really could use more female racers at all levels.

15. Charlie Spencer

Racing in general could use more women, but I don't see segregating them as a viable long-term approach.

Maybe I'm ignorant of the factors involved but I don't see any physical reasons why women can't drive a car competitively against men. Women don't seem to have any problem competing in drag racing or some classes of sports car racing. (Maybe somebody needs to look at those forms of racing and see what's to be learned.)

That leaves non-physical reasons, and the primary cure for those is money.

LewTheShoe and Hotrod like this.
  16. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

That's the problem though, I think its just I'd rather see the ladies challenge against other men IMHO. I like the concept of the series, but its just there are a lot of talented young ladies in a Tatiana Calderon, Alice Powell, and Beiske Visser to name a few.

I don't like separating them, but I bet there are plenty who are interested in the series. Exposure and most importantly a form of income for all participating. This series could sink or swim, I hope to see it have some longevity.

17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

hell I don't care who is behind the wheel, it might be more entertaining than F-1 to watch ya never know

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  18. donthaveanickname

Uhh, she showed little to no improvement in three years of GP3 and she also didn't show any improvement in the F3 European Championship between 2013-15.
    Money keeps her around.

19. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

IndyCar needs to stay far the hell away from this one.

20. blue92

blue92 Team Owner

May as well have driver less cars race.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2018
  21. Charlie Spencer

Formula L for left-handed drivers. They're obviously at a disadvantage vs. righties since the shift handle is on the wrong side.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  22. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

23. Charlie Spencer

"Six drivers, Alice Powell (UK), Shea Holbrook (USA), Naomi Schiff (Belgium), Emma Kimilainen (Finland), Stephane Kox (Netherlands) and Vicky Piria (Italy), have been chosen as ambassadors to represent all the W Series qualifiers and attend the glittering 2018 Autosport Awards event in London on Sunday December 2."

I suspect those six already have a leg up on their competitors when it comes to making the final cut.

StandOnIt likes this.
  24. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Really surprised to see Shea Holbrook on there after how outspoken she was against this.

Kiante and Charlie Spencer like this.
  25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

only one I recognize is Decker, second row far left. :idunno:

26. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Good luck to all the ladies involved. I hope this series succeeds.

More racing to watch.:D

StandOnIt likes this.
  27. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

There is a star driver or three out of that bunch

Kiante likes this.
  28. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

As long as the women have to do the same things a male driver have to at the same length of time and duration, I am good with it, but, if it is ran on a special rules curve and funky set of special race rules of any kind, I am against it.:idunno:

29. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This series reeks. Sounds like a lot of talented drivers are/were passed over for marketing candidates and a lot of the results they put up over the test weekend didn't really factor into the final selections.

About what you would expect when a bunch of dudes put together a 'W Series'.

DUN24 and donthaveanickname like this.
  30. donthaveanickname

18 drivers and 4 reserve drivers have been selected and Natalie Decker is not among them.

I expect Jamie Chadwick to dominate since she's a proven winner in the British F3 Series, also kinda cool to see a driver from Liechtenstein in an international series.

https://wseries.com/w-hub/w-series-announces-its-driver-line-up/
    The following 18 successful drivers will race in W Series:

Jamie Chadwick, UK
    Sabre Cook, USA
    Marta Garcia, Spain
    Megan Gilkes, Canada
    Esmee Hawkey, UK
    Jessica Hawkins, UK
    Shea Holbrook, USA
    Emma Kimilainen, Finland
    Miki Koyama, Japan
    Sarah Moore, UK
    Tasmin Pepper, South Africa
    Vicky Piria, Italy
    Alice Powell, UK
    Gosia Rdest, Poland
    Naomi Schiff, Belgium
    Beitske Visser, Netherlands
    Fabienne Wohlwend, Liechtenstein
    Caitlin Wood, Australia

These are the four reserves for W Series:

Sarah Bovy, Belgium

Vivien Keszthelyi, Hungary

Stephane Kox, Netherlands

Francesca Linossi, Italy

Kiante likes this.
  31. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

I expected to know atleast a few of their names....

Johali likes this.
  32. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Me also. I don't recognize any of them.

33. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Chadwick, Holbrook, Piria, Powell, Visser, and Cook I have heard of those ladies before.

Good luck to them all though, make most of this opprotunity.

34. Charlie Spencer

You've never heard of Belgium or Liechtenstein?

Kiante and LewTheShoe like this.
  35. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Yeah but no mention of Fabienne Wohlwend from Liechtenstein. .

upload_2019-3-30_17-55-53.jpeg

36. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

I hate to admit it but I don't even know the USA drivers. Guess I have some homework to do.