New Back Row Joe Thread

71Fan

Boy oh boy.....you guys sure took that thread on a trip with Admiral Perry........

Anyways TWF, the Dick Trickle comparison is a fair one although Dick might even have a bit of trouble driving one of these (see pic). I'm thinking a better comparison would be Boris Said but then Boris is a thrasher so no wonder he can't get the hang of the heavy cars.

Maybe Joe will whip everybody at the roadies, that would be great to see.

Should be interesting to see how Hideo can progress if given ample seat time next season. If ya find quotes and opinions fro many many drivers about their first times at Martinsville you'll not mind too many positive remarks. It's a tough place to get around well.

On another note:

Sadly I have talked to a few folks who attended the Martinsville race last Sunday. From what I they are saying the general level of acceptance in the stands for Hideo was pretty poor. Both in driver introductions and at times during the race boos seemed to be the order of the day, cept of course when he spun late in the race and cheers became more dominant.

I can think of no reason for this other than Hideo's nationality, but hopefully some other cause will come to mind.

Is a shame if that is so. I can't think of any other reason right now either.

The only other reason I can fathom is a reaction to a wasted seat in a car. But I don't think that's it either.

This will become the biggest non-story of the 2003 season. He'll get the sponsor some early exposure on TV each race due to the novelty, but that's about it.

Then again....maybe we can convince NAPA to put him in the commercials instead of Richard Simmo...I mean Michael Waltrip. (I keep getting those two confused...)

And as to Dick Trickle (or anyone else for that matter) being able to drive one of those....whatever that is, maybe. But there is one fundamental flaw in that argument. NASCAR isn't running those next year. They will run stock cars.

I never once said Fukuyama couldn't drive a race car. What I said was, he ain't gonna set the world on fire in a stock car.

Kenny Bernstein ain't gonna turn the stock car world upside down with driving ability either. But I'll take him in the quarter over anybody we got.

Please don't misunderstand me. I wish Fukuyama no ill will. I just don't think he'll accomplish anything on the track. Sue me. I see a lot of provisionals, and the folding of a team before race 20 next year.

No, I'm responding to what HS said about the majority of people booing him, and cheering when he crashed.

But I thought that more enlightenment would come into the spoprt once it moved out of its traditional Southern stronghold. I thought that once a more educated, diverse, urbane audience was on board, all that would go the way of the bias ply tire. I was under the impression that NASCAR fans now held college degrees, white collar folk who would rather see their own family suffer than ever even consider harming a tree, hurting a little birdie, or (God forbid) utterring a non PC statement.

Sakes and begorrah, could it be that Southerners aren't the only ones who do these awful things? Art thou implying that 90% of this urbane, educated, enlightened mass is just as bad as we unwashed heathen? Well blow me down and I'll call you Windy.

Which way is it? Now I'm confused.

I still say Hideo will flop, and it ain't got a damn thing to do with where he's from.

I'm thinking the Pearl Harbor factor, the American drivers only factor, the buy a ride factor, the get in the race while my fave underdog doesn't factor, the Shawna factor (who's he gonna wreck this week?) the anybody not in the top has no biz being on the track factor, the He Ain't Jeff factor.....and now I'm tired of thinking but that's more than a half a dozen.

Don't worry, no one's trying to burn the rebel flag or anything.

If the majority of people booed him, why is wrong to say, "People are bigots for booing him"?

Remember that Jr thing on MTV? They were walking around interviewing fans, the majority of them had some comment or other about how "racin aint fer niggers"

But, far be it from me to say racism exists in NASCAR, don't want to offend a southerner.

Story goes that there was time when Wendell Scott was being roughed up on track by one of the more prominent southern good ol boys. Well ol Wendell pulled out his trusty little buddy and kinda pointed it thru the window at the dude. Wendell didn't get so roughed up on track after that.

Originally posted by paul
Don't worry, no one's  trying to burn the rebel flag or anything.

If the majority of people booed him, why is wrong to say, "People are bigots for booing him"?

Remember that Jr thing on MTV?  They were walking around interviewing fans, the majority of them had some comment or other about how "racin aint fer niggers"

But, far be it from me to say racism exists in NASCAR, don't want to offend a southerner.

For starters, that ain't exactly what you said. But I'll not mince words.

No, I don't remember that Junior thing on MTV. I have not turned MTV on in over 8 years, and have no intention of doing so now.

Sure, racism exists in NASCAR. No denying it. It aso exists in Congress, organized religion, McDonald's, and anywhere else one chooses to look. Tell ya what, though. I'll take any 10 NASCAR fans you wish to choose from any race on the circuit to my house, if you'll take any 10 NBA fans from the game of my choice to your place for mint juleps and butter cookies.

And no, you don't want to offend a Southerner. :p

I agree that cheering when he wecked, and booing otherwise, is asinine at best. I hardly think that qualifies the statement that 90% of NASCAR fans are bigoted morons. NASCAR has no more bigotry in its fan base than does the NBA. And neither can hold a light to the NHL.

Well, it sure looks different from where I'm sitting.

Everyone wants to be the perfect NASCAR fan. Everyone wants to say that it's so horrible to cheer when a driver wrecks, yet watch a race and wait for a wreck...the crowd cheers.

Where are all these fans now? Do they magically only exist at races?

When the majority of the people boo the Japanese guy for no good reason other than his race, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of the people are bigoted morons.

Or, is that somehow not fair? Not PC enough? Persecuting the poor southerners?

I freely admit that, when a driver I don't particularly care for hits the wall, AND I see him walking, It sure don't depress me any. But I don't choose my drivers based on race, and I don't know anyone who does.

Hideo Fukuyama has about as good a chance of winnning a WC race as a snowball does surviving a wood stove. I know it, you know it, and I bet he knows it too.

Now tell the truth, Paul. Do you cry when Junior gets a taste of concrete? Does seeing Mikey trailing smoke from a smashed right front fender not put a gleam in your eye? True, neither of these chaps are Oriental in descent (I ain't figured out quite what Mikey is supposed to be). And I'll be the first to admit that NASCAR draws a certain percentage of fans from, shall we say, the more unsavory among us in attitude, beliefs, and overall amiability. 90% is a bit high, but that's OK. Show me a sport, or any facet of life for that matter, without it.

I still think it's hilarious that all these new fans to the sport haven't been able to shake the redneck image. As if that isn't bigoted in itself. But since it only makes fun of "those Southern people", I guess it's all right.

Don't bother me one bit. I kinda like the notion of outsiders staying out.

Why do you like the notion of "outsiders" staying out?

Who would you consider "outsiders"?

That statement has nothing to do with racing. I think you can put it together from there. But just in case...we already have enough retirees from the northern tier around here for my own personal taste.

Gonna be gone awhile...duty calls.

So, you expect us to believe that, while you consider people from your own country to be outsiders, that your view doesn't extend to Asians?

Come on.

Geesh, all ya gotta do is look at Bill Lester. Token Black Guy doing the Jackie Robinson thing. Never ever ever has a cross word to say. Just a nice quiet guy who knows his place, both in history AND on the track.

Can he really drive or is he just a Dodge Diversity Program PR move? 2nd in rookie points in a not real strong field with not even a top ten but still, he's out there paying his dues.

Or how about Carlos Contreras? 2nd year truck driver out of Mexico. I imagine his fan base is huge south of the border, but will he ever be anything more than Hot Wheels marketing tool in a truck that can barely keep up?

You can bet yer bottom dollar that Bill or Carlos will never be highly successful in nascar racing. They are both the wrong color.

I guess I'm confused why color of skin makes a difference on how they drive?

Nothing confusing about it, 66.

NECKCAR fans are, mostly, bigoted racists.

Not on HOW they drive 66, it makes a difference on WHAT they drive. Neither Bill or Carlos will ever drive a car consitantly capable of winning. They might get in rides that are mid to upper packers. Might even notch a few wins. Might make top ten in points. But the big trophy will forever elude them. And it won't be because they can't drive.

I notice you have carefully skirted the question as to why I shouldn't be offended when the term redneck is so freely applied in a negative connotation. You also skirted the whole issue of racism in other sports and other facets of life.

I'll say it again. In my opinion, Hideo Fukuyama will flop in a stock car. In my opinion, this entire issue will be a non-story except as a human interest afterthought. I say these things not because of where he is from, but because of his age and relative inexperience in a stock car, which the last time I checked will be what NASCAR fields next season.

If being non-PC makes me some overblown racist, then so be it. I refuse to sell my soul to the notions of political correctness. If turning the tables around a tiny bit is gonna get everyone's fur all bunched up, then maybe I am not the one in need of a values system overhaul. Think as you like; it affects me not one iota. The sun will still rise, the fish will still swim, and I'll still be a happy (soon to be) home owner, trying like the rest of us to survive another day in as much physical comfort as is possible. The skin on my nose will be unharmed, I assure you.

Well dern TWF, as I recall you ain't real fond of the term goober either.:)

And I think yer assessment of brj is just about right on the money, tho I do think that with the right amount of money Travis Carter can put a car on the track capable of making races, and that on the cookie cutters even Joe will be making the show considering the level of competition from 30th back.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
I notice you have carefully skirted the question as to why I shouldn't be offended when the term redneck is so freely applied in a negative connotation.  You also skirted the whole issue of racism in other sports and other facets of life.  

I'm trying to think of any other motorsport where nationality means anything...guess what...I can't. Other than NASCAR.

I'll say it again.  In my opinion, Hideo Fukuyama will flop in a stock car.  In my opinion, this entire issue will be a non-story except as a human interest afterthought.  I say these things not because of where he is from, but because of his age and relative inexperience in a stock car, which the last time I checked will be what NASCAR fields next season.  

He's been driving stock cars for a long time, perhaps you're confusing the cars NASCAR runs with stock cars.

If being non-PC makes me some overblown racist, then so be it.  I refuse to sell my soul to the notions of political correctness.  If turning the tables around a tiny bit is gonna get everyone's fur all bunched up, then maybe I am not the one in need of a values system overhaul.  Think as you like; it affects me not one iota.  The sun will still rise, the fish will still swim, and I'll still be a happy (soon to be) home owner, trying like the rest of us to survive another day in as much physical comfort as is possible.  The skin on my nose will be unharmed, I assure you.

You wave that flag of "I'm not PC" as a cover your ass kind of way. Accepting him as a driver, as opposed to booing him because he's Japanese is not being PC.

I use the term redneck because a bunch of people hating the guy on the basis of his race, are rednecks...plain and simple. Sorry if that's no PC enough for you.

You had you sig a while ago, touting how proud you were to be from the south, almost forcing people to respect it. Guess what, that's the same thing minority groups do when they whine about being persecuted. "Waa, I can't wave my gay pride flag without people crying about it." "Waa, I can't wave my Africa flag without the white man trying to keep me down" "Waa, I can wave my rebel flag wherever I want, I'm a country boy and you damn well beter respect it". You know what the difference is? It's only the last group I mentioned that hide behing the facade of "I'm not PC" when they don't want to respect others. But we damn well better respect you right? Hrmph...

"I'm trying to think of any other motorsport where nationality means anything...guess what...I can't. Other than NASCAR."

CART and F1 don't seem to be too fond of Americans of any kind.

I will say this one time, and one time only.

I am sublimely proud of my Southern heritage. I will not in any way, shape, form, or fashion ever deny that. If that is something you or anyone else has a problem with, then it's your problem. I could not personally care less what you think of it, whether you like or dislike it, what it inspires in your own ideology, or what associative notions it gives you. Think as you like, it doesn't bother me.

The SC in NASCAR stands for stock cars. Just thought I'd point that out to you.

If you want to be impressed by your glorified go cart races, be my guest. As noted above, I don't think they welcome Americans into their particular fold very often, but I'm certain you can change all that. I have zero posts in the F1 and CART boards, because what happens in those series interests me about as much as the price of lima beans in Pakistan. Since those fans are the most enlightened to be found, why are you wasting your time with bigoted morons? Since, you know, all we ever do is cheer when the Oriental guy hits a wall and everything. Why let us rednecks drag you down with us?

I'm done with this. I learned a long time ago that certain people can't be wrong, and before you start that particular pity party, I am in no way referring to the freeflow exchange of opinions, thread repression, or anything of the sort. I'm just choosing to control what is in my capacity to control.

Good day.

OK, GROUP HUG needed NOW then retire this thread please!

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?

I will say this one time, and one time only.  

I am sublimely proud of my Southern heritage.  I will not in any way, shape, form, or fashion ever deny that.  If that is something you or anyone else has a problem with, then it's your problem.  I could not personally care less what you think of it, whether you like or dislike it, what it inspires in your own ideology, or what associative notions it gives you.  Think as you like, it doesn't bother me.  

Just as proud, I'm sure, as Hideo is of his origin. Why should your, or anyone's for that matter, race or origin be more respected than someone else's? Why is it demanded that southern heritage be respected, yet showing respect for Mr. Hideo's is called "over PC".

However, he is booed and disliked on the basis of his race.

People that dislike him based on his race are bigoted racists.

I fail to see where the logic fails in that.

Caveat...I respect southern heritage...don't read anything I'm saying to be that I don't.

I just find it pretty hypocritical to be told that I'm being overly PC if I think that a bunch of people booing someone based on their race.

How plainly do I need to state that his race has nothing to do with my opinion of him? How many times would you like me to say it? Where did I ever disrespect his heritage in the slightest way?

You're slipping.

TN, I never said you. You asked me if "present company was included" and I said no.

Why do you think I'm talking about you? Slip is showing?

Oh, I suppose you were referring to all the other people with references to mountain living in a former signature. Which, in case you care, was song lyrics. I wish I could take credit for writing them, but alas, 'twould not be true.

I'm walkin' from this thread. I get enough arguing dealing with these blasted criminals all day.

Lol...well I suppose you're right. Would be wisest.

:beerchug: Next rounds on me.

Damn...I missed a good one. :p

Same thing happened when I was a youngster...kids would be yelling "fight, fight!!! fight!" and I'd run up to get my blood fix for the day...and by the time I got there everything would be broken up and some teacher would be dragging two kids by the ear to the principal's office...

Oh...I'm getting off topic... :cookoo:

I think the true test of fans' tolerance will be when (not if) Toyota enters NASCAR.

I'd like to add more to this thread....but I gotta go and print me up 500,000 Calvin pissing on the Toyota logo T-shirts...

My guess is that I'll be sold out by the Bristol spring race...sitting on some beach in.....

...Asia!

:D Well glad that is over with no blood. Thought we were going to have to bring in a WWE ref.

Nope.

TWF is a likeable enough guy. I appreciate being able to argue with him without the nonsense that usually comes with it.

But, he's drinking all my beer, I only offered him one. :p

Back
Top Bottom