New Nascar Channel "FAST"

Long long overdue I can't wait

Will FAST be the name of the channel? I know that acronym stands for “Free Ad-Supported Streaming Television” in the TV world, so I’m thinking it might be like a PlutoTV type of deal.

Hmm, I’m intrigued! It does say it may not be a 24/7, all the time NASCAR channel. I wonder what that means? Pimp my ride episodes? Or does it just mean other racing series might also be featured?

If they're gonna copyright strike everything on YouTube that they own, the least they can do is show random races on Pluto/Roku/Tubi/Stirr/etc. At least then it's available to the public and they can generate some revenue out of it.

If they're gonna copyright strike everything on YouTube that they own, the least they can do is show random races on Pluto/Roku/Tubi/Stirr/etc. At least then it's available to the public and they can generate some revenue out of it.
You OK bro?

So what's the distribution plan for this channel? Cable, streaming, or both? If streaming, will it be via an existing streaming service?

Sorry if I missed a previously linked article with details. Feel free to refer me to a previous post.

Thanks.

Dubois about a sports channel that doesn’t broadcast any of its own live events. But I’ll wait for details before I jump to conclusions. Wish the races were more consolidated than they will be next year with the Frankenstein broadcast agreements. So maybe this will help down the road.

So what's the distribution plan for this channel? Cable, streaming, or both? If streaming, will it be via an existing streaming service?

Sorry if I missed a previously linked article with details. Feel free to refer me to a previous post.

Thanks.

Good question!

This is fantastic news. Hopefully there’s a pre and post race show that not only is on this network but can also be streamed for those that do that. I’d also be thrilled if there were other racing series on there like ARCA, Cars Tour and maybe even some dirt series.what a surprise this turned out to be.

You OK bro?
There are exactly zero Goody's Dash series races up on their channel as an example; not much for any series in terms of classic races. My complaint was about the guys on YouTube who were getting copyright claims for posting full old races that NASCAR wasn't posting. I have no issue with NASCAR taking claim over their IP (assuming it even was; I would guess much of the old races belongs to the media company producing it), I just want them to make it available at the best possible resolution. If people are posting full raw satellite feeds of 1990s Busch races, they're simply filling a hole in the market.

There are exactly zero Goody's Dash series races up on their channel as an example; not much for any series in terms of classic races. My complaint was about the guys on YouTube who were getting copyright claims for posting full old races that NASCAR wasn't posting. I have no issue with NASCAR taking claim over their IP (assuming it even was; I would guess much of the old races belongs to the media company producing it), I just want them to make it available at the best possible resolution. If people are posting full raw satellite feeds of 1990s Busch races, they're simply filling a hole in the market.

This is true of the broadcasts after 2001. I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the owner of the broadcast rights for, say, those mid 1980s PPV Pocono races is Pocono Raceway. Or that ESPN or CBS owns the footage of the 80s/90s racing they had on. But I also don't know that! I just want a central place to go find old races.

This is true of the broadcasts after 2001. I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the owner of the broadcast rights for, say, those mid 1980s PPV Pocono races is Pocono Raceway. Or that ESPN or CBS owns the footage of the 80s/90s racing they had on. But I also don't know that! I just want a central place to go find old races.
I think the first thing for you to do is look. There are plenty out there.

On the subject of YouTube uploads:

A lot of times, the videos NASCAR uploads are inferior in many ways to those uploaded by random YouTubers.

There are actually A LOT of complaints about the NASCAR uploads, such as: 4:3 broadcasts cropped to 16:9 thus cutting out a lot of the picture, 4:3 broadcasts stretched/distorted, and races that were broadcast (and often times uploaded by YouTubers) in HD that NASCAR posts in SD (and in those cases, a 16:9 video is cropped to 4:3, again cutting out a lot of the picture).

The other thing I like about videos uploaded by YouTubers is, along with often being better quality, they upload the full race broadcast. I get why NASCAR doesn't and I'm fine with it, but having them up is still nice.

As for the FAST service:

There's definitely room for it, especially if they throw in some live daily programming like the old Race Hub show used to be. NASCAR already does some weekly shows that they put online and are simulcast on MAVTV, and they do have daily content as well. I'd also love to see them perhaps air some of their regional races on there, live and/or tape delayed.

WIth over 75 years of racing history though, and countless documentaries, movies, and thousands of races, NASCAR's got plenty of content to make a 24/7 FAST channel work.

On the subject of YouTube uploads:

A lot of times, the videos NASCAR uploads are inferior in many ways to those uploaded by random YouTubers.

There are actually A LOT of complaints about the NASCAR uploads, such as: 4:3 broadcasts cropped to 16:9 thus cutting out a lot of the picture, 4:3 broadcasts stretched/distorted, and races that were broadcast (and often times uploaded by YouTubers) in HD that NASCAR posts in SD (and in those cases, a 16:9 video is cropped to 4:3, again cutting out a lot of the picture).

The other thing I like about videos uploaded by YouTubers is, along with often being better quality, they upload the full race broadcast. I get why NASCAR doesn't and I'm fine with it, but having them up is still nice.
All true and yet NASCAR could just do it and monetize it and have better uploaded versions of it and I would like that more.

I am literally asking NASCAR to make money off my interest in an asset they possess!

^ 16:9 HD broadcast, distorted to a 4:3 frame.

^ This race, which was one of the many screw jobs Mark Martin was the recipient of in NASCAR, was broadcast in HD and there are multiple HD uploads.

^ NBC Sports re-aired this race in HD multiple times. Still, SD-only here.

^ ESPN aired this race in HD.

^ NASCAR upload.

^ Same race, uploaded by some random ass person on YouTube in full 1080p HD.

Once again, something I have been advocating for years (and widely mocked for) looks like it will become a reality, and everyone now seems excited for it. Humm.........🤔

Once again, something I have been advocating for years (and widely mocked for) looks like it will become a reality, and everyone now seems excited for it. Humm.........🤔

A 24/7 NASCAR channel was mocked? Are you sure that’s what you were advocating for, because I don’t see why any NASCSR fan would mock this. Unless you worded it in a super confusing way that made it sound different than what you meant for it to be.

A 24/7 NASCAR channel was mocked? Are you sure that’s what you were advocating for, because I don’t see why any NASCSR fan would mock this. Unless you worded it in a super confusing way that made it sound different than what you meant for it to be.
Nope, I was of the opinion that part of NASCAR's original TV deal should've been that Speed Channel would become a de facto Golf Channel for NASCAR and that they would have the ability to control what happened to that channel regardless of what Fox did. More than one person on this forum told me that was a stupid idea and how NASCAR did not need a full-time channel and how it wouldn't make any money and 100 other reasons why they shouldn't do it. This very conversation was revisited within the last six months on this forum.

Nope, I was of the opinion that part of NASCAR's original TV deal should've been that Speed Channel would become a de facto Golf Channel for NASCAR and that they would have the ability to control what happened to that channel regardless of what Fox did. More than one person on this forum told me that was a stupid idea and how NASCAR did not need a full-time channel and how it wouldn't make any money and 100 other reasons why they shouldn't do it. This very conversation was revisited within the last six months on this forum.
"Nascar had ought to's" and "Nascar should of posts" will rarely get much approval. Especially when none of the particulars are present. Fox shuttled SPEED and went in the direction of a sports network. These a large blundering corporations out to squeeze as much money as possible out of the consumers and I would bet somebody like Nascar from competing against them with the same product.

"Nascar had ought to's" and "Nascar should of posts" will rarely get much approval. Especially when none of the particulars are present. Fox shuttled SPEED and went in the direction of a sports network. These a large blundering corporations out to squeeze as much money as possible out of the consumers and I would bet somebody like Nascar from competing against them with the same product.
NASCAR never had more bargaining clout than they had during the lead up to the first TV deal. That was the time to secure things like that to help your long term future, but the ONLY thing Brian France was interested in was how many zeros were on the check, the hell with the details. At the very least, NASCAR should have demanded a first right of refusal agreement for Speed if Fox decided to sell or change formats. Money is nice to have, but nobody in the France family was missing any meals. A portion of that money would have been FAR better spent on growing the entity that produced all that money in the first place. The difference between small picture and big picture thinking.

You were advocating for a 24/7 cable channel.

Big difference.

FAST Channels are basically like the digital sub channels you can get with an antenna.

A NASCAR controlled channel showing all the live races in the series is a stupid idea. That's not happening when we have TV partners throwing billions of $$ at the sport for the broadcast rights. The NASCAR channel you envision and the NASCAR channel you're going to get are going to be very different.

I figure lots of talking heads and re-runs of older content/classic races. And maybe some of the regional ARCA races currently airing on Flo. Which is all fine and great. Your idea of an all-NASCAR channel showing all the live races and being the main (if not only) source of content sailed away 20 years ago.

I am excited for FAST. It fills a nice void left by FS1. But this is not the earth-shattering I-told-you-so news you think it is.

A NASCAR controlled channel showing all the live races in the series is a stupid idea. That's not happening when we have TV partners throwing billions of $$ at the sport for the broadcast rights. The NASCAR channel you envision and the NASCAR channel you're going to get are going to be very different.

I figure lots of talking heads and re-runs of older content/classic races. And maybe some of the regional ARCA races currently airing on Flo. Which is all fine and great. Your idea of an all-NASCAR channel showing all the live races and being the main (if not only) source of content sailed away 20 years ago.

I am excited for FAST. It fills a nice void left by FS1. But this is not the earth-shattering I-told-you-so news you think it is.
I can see regional races on there. NASCAR ALREADY produces those and the potential audience could be higher than Flo.

IMO, this FAST channel would be great for NASCAR.

FS1 left behind a massive void. Race Hub had a pretty significant amount of viewers.

I’m still hoping for a daily or weekly series on Tru TV.

So 'FAST' isn't a name specific to NASCAR's proposed channel? More Googling ahead!
"Free Ad Supported TV". PlutoTV is the classic example: huge amount of content freely available to watch. Someone already mentioned Racing America (RTA owns that) having a channel showing reruns of late model races from their streaming service, but NHRA has a channel too that is honestly great to throw on in the background if you were into drag racing in the 80s or 90s. The media companies just upload multiple seasons or entire runs of programs onto them and get paid money for their catalog, and in return, you get something that resembles what cable TV networks look like now with endless reruns.

Have a channel that shows the complete race, no advertisements for a nominal fee per race or for the service, announced by MRN and I am all kinda in for that.

As a foot note, I am not bothered by the You Tube videos I watch of Nascar from time to time, picture quality has never been a sore spot with me.

Back
Top Bottom