New Ride

ToyYoda

Team Owner
So I picked up a new-ish truck today. My Dad is getting up in years and had an ‘02 Silverado that was on its last leg, and he wanted a little bit smaller truck that would be easier to maneuver. So I decided to give him my ‘16 Nissan Frontier and this is its replacement, a 2019 Ford F-150 with a little over 5K miles on it. It’s a 2.7 EcoBoost, I really like it so far.

42E892EF-4CA4-48ED-B00D-3A01EA117A05.jpeg

Nice truck.thing I like the best is it’s an STX. None of that fancy crap to break. My stripped down 09 STX had more stuff on it than my loaded 89 XLT Lariat.

Nice truck.thing I like the best is it’s an STX. None of that fancy crap to break. My stripped down 09 STX had more stuff on it than my loaded 89 XLT Lariat.
Thanks. Yeah, it’s got just enough on it for me. Not a ton of bells and whistles, but it’s got all the essentials.

Pretty crazy how powerful that tiny V6 is too. It’ll throw you back in the seat if you’re not careful.

Really nice looking truck. Ironic, you got rid of a Nissan P.U. and I have been looking at the Frontier Pro 4X. I have slowed down since all of this virus happened. 4 doors are easy to find, but a cab in a half Pro4X is another story.

Really nice looking truck. Ironic, you got rid of a Nissan P.U. and I have been looking at the Frontier Pro 4X. I have slowed down since all of this virus happened. 4 doors are easy to find, but a cab in a half Pro4X is another story.
Finding any Nissan truck in an extended cab is an adventure. I wanted an extended cab and was going to look at a Nissan Titan, but I couldn’t find an extended cab anywhere, they were all crews. Plus, I’ve heard the Titan gets pretty horrendous gas mileage, so far the F150 is getting better mileage than the Frontier.

Yeah they aren't known for fuel mileage. I really like the size of my Dakota, wished I would of had 4 wheel drive and the Nissan is the same size. Ford came out with a midsize and one outfitted like the Pro 4X is pushing mid 40's and it is larger besides. Same for the GM's and the Yota. Oh well I'm going to keep looking, one will turn up around here, I'll take a good used one if need be.

I think the color is Magnetic, right? I love that color that Ford has, it really shows off the lines of the truck.

@ToyYoda thats not a 4x4 is it?

I dont suppose you need that down there lol.
Nope, it’s a 4x2, my Frontier was too. It almost never snows here and if it does, I have the option of working remotely. The 4x4’s are like $4,000 more plus you give up a couple MPG, so I really couldn’t justify getting it.

Speaking of MPG, I’m averaging close to 24 with this one, which is pretty crazy for a full-size pickup.

Nope, it’s a 4x2, my Frontier was too. It almost never snows here and if it does, I have the option of working remotely. The 4x4’s are like $4,000 more plus you give up a couple MPG, so I really couldn’t justify getting it.

Speaking of MPG, I’m averaging close to 24 with this one, which is pretty crazy for a full-size pickup.
If you are not going off road or going through fields etc I get it. I LOVE LOVE a 4x4 but know you give up a little with one.

If you are not going off road or going through fields etc I get it. I LOVE LOVE a 4x4 but know you give up a little with one.
Only thing I’ve found on it so far that I don’t like is what’s called the “F150 hump”, a small but noticeable hump in the passengers side of the dashboard that apparently 95% of 2015 and up XL and XLT F150’s have. I didn’t think anything of it when I was test driving, I drove three different F150’s from 3 different dealerships and they all had it so I just thought that’s how they were made. Apparently the dashes in these F150’s are prone to early warping and Ford has issued a TSB to fix them at no cost. I might just let it go though, it isn’t bothering me THAT bad, and I’ve heard the replacement dashes do the same thing. If nothing else I might just get a dash cover for it and call it a day.

Some of us are fortunate to have, or had parents that were supportive and caring. Some, not so lucky. I learn of people whose kids are always take, take, take, yet rarely give anything back, including their time to their elderly parents. A lot is seen in an over 55 community. My Bride and I have a son and daughter who call daily now with this Covid business and once things settle down from that, they will still be in touch with us at least once week for a lengthy phone call. We consider ourselves to be blessed and learning your story makes me feel good about the time, love and caring you give to your Dad.

Just an FYI on the EB trucks - Keep an eye on the air filter and service intervals.

Friend of mine had a 2017 EB that lost a turbo seal under warranty, dealer replaced the turbo and entire exhaust system because it was caked in oil.

About 20,000 miles later it happened again. He raised all hell at the dealer, got a 2019 model for basically free. Hasn't had any issues with it so far, but he watches it like a hawk.

Just an FYI on the EB trucks - Keep an eye on the air filter and service intervals.

Friend of mine had a 2017 EB that lost a turbo seal under warranty, dealer replaced the turbo and entire exhaust system because it was caked in oil.

About 20,000 miles later it happened again. He raised all hell at the dealer, got a 2019 model for basically free. Hasn't had any issues with it so far, but he watches it like a hawk.
Thanks Magnethead, I’ve heard the ‘18 and up EB models are a little better than the ‘15-‘17’s, fortunately I have a lifetime powertrain warranty if it gives me problems. Hopefully getting them to honor it won’t be too much of a challenge....

A good way to screw up your turbo seals is to rev up the engine and then shut it off. The turbo bearings and seals are fed pressurized oil while the engine is running, but none when the engine is shut off.

A good way to screw up your turbo seals is to rev up the engine and then shut it off. The turbo bearings and seals are fed pressurized oil while the engine is running, but none when the engine is shut off.
I’ve been driving it pretty conservatively. They say with these EcoBoosts, you can have either the Eco or the Boost but not both. I’ve been driving more toward the Eco. I’ve only had it in Sport mode once or twice since I bought it.

Only thing I’ve found on it so far that I don’t like is what’s called the “F150 hump”, a small but noticeable hump in the passengers side of the dashboard that apparently 95% of 2015 and up XL and XLT F150’s have. I didn’t think anything of it when I was test driving, I drove three different F150’s from 3 different dealerships and they all had it so I just thought that’s how they were made. Apparently the dashes in these F150’s are prone to early warping and Ford has issued a TSB to fix them at no cost. I might just let it go though, it isn’t bothering me THAT bad, and I’ve heard the replacement dashes do the same thing. If nothing else I might just get a dash cover for it and call it a day.
This is my 2019 2.7 xlt. Mine also has the warped dash but it is not noticeable so I will leave it alone for now. If I do decide to replace I will upgrade it with a lariat dash and just pay the difference. I am also getting 24mpg and this thing will fly. I do love mine.

20190826_075623.jpg

Slick ride btw, I've been trying form years to get my '99 to something close to that.
Enjoy that!

Nice truck! The new Ford trucks look great, especially those with the body colored bumpers and grilles. I usually like chrome, but the paint matched option package is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom