New to Forum. Attending Kentucky

Corey Mason

sparticus78
Hi all. Attending KY Speedway for the first time next weekend. I've almost yearly driven to Martinsville and have been to both Michigan races in '11. I live in Southern Ohio so KY is my closest track (outside mid ohio). I'm taking a chance with it. I know last year wasn't that exciting but with the heat wave we have had and will into next weekend i'm hoping it adds a little! I was at Martinsville last year and it just didn't feel that exciting. I know the talk is all about Chicago so i'm hoping NASCAR capitalizes on all this positive talk and does something to keep quality up there be it move start times back to noon, or alter night race aero packages to give drivers more race car control. Thanks for reading everyone!

Don't mention aero packages, this place goes nuts. :D All in good fun, glad you are here man welcome.

This will my 3rd straight year attending Kentucky!! I make the 10 hour drive from the Scranton, PA area. Two years ago it was a great race but hot as hell. Last year it was perfect weather but Truex dominated (he had the best car in '16). I really enjoy attending Kentucky which is why I'm headed out again. I stay in Cincinnati which makes for a great hub for the weekend. I'll play a round of golf Saturday morning, grab lunch/an early dinner in the city then head to the track around 4 pm. I've encountered very little traffic the last two years so getting parked by 5:30, 7:30 start, is fine by me. It also puts me close to the exit which makes getting out a breeze. I hop on the tram on the backstretch which takes me to my seating area near Turn 1 and I'm good to go. $59 tickets for a great view can't be beat either....

kent5.jpg

This will my 3rd straight year attending Kentucky!! I make the 10 hour drive from the Scranton, PA area. Two years ago it was a great race but hot as hell. Last year it was perfect weather but Truex dominated (he had the best car in '16). I really enjoy attending Kentucky which is why I'm headed out again. I stay in Cincinnati which makes for a great hub for the weekend. I'll play a round of golf Saturday morning, grab lunch/an early dinner in the city then head to the track around 4 pm. I've encountered very little traffic the last two years so getting parked by 5:30, 7:30 start, is fine by me. It also puts me close to the exit which makes getting out a breeze. I hop on the tram on backstretch which takes me to my seating area near Turn 1 and I'm good to go.
First off, SCRANTON lol.. I bet you get that much more than you want lol, second, that is cool. You seem to be right around a good amount of tracks too correct? That is awesome though. Thanks for the thoughts and reason why you attend.

First off, SCRANTON lol.. I bet you get that much more than you want lol, second, that is cool. You seem to be right around a good amount of tracks too correct? That is awesome though. Thanks for the thoughts and reason why you attend.

Scranton is always the butt of jokes! Thankfully I'm about 15 minutes north of the city itself. I live about 45 minutes from Pocono and attend both of those races and have been since the late 80's. I also went to every Dover race from the September 1990 until through spring of 2010. Also been to Michigan, Daytona and Martinsville. I was suppose to go to Martinsville again in March by the snow screwed up my weekend. Watkins Glen is about 3 hours away yet I've never been there outside of driving by.

Kentucky is a great facility. After the debacle that occurred during their first race the track seems extra fan friendly! Free parking, reasonable ticket prices, always plenty of trams, roomy parking spaces etc.

I've always been a HUGE fan of ISC tracks. Due to Bruton Smith i've never wanted to attend and SMI track. His attitude and his decisions with North Wilkesboro and Rockingham have really detered me from wanting to attend races at his tracks. I've also noticed that SMI tracks prices are generally a lot higher then those of ISC tracks. Well I gave in this year and i'm going to give it a shot. I alway did appreciate him buying Kentucky and PUTTING it on the schedule even though NASCAR refused to add it for Jerry Carroll.

I've always been a HUGE fan of ISC tracks. Due to Bruton Smith i've never wanted to attend and SMI track. His attitude and his decisions with North Wilkesboro and Rockingham have really detered me from wanting to attend races at his tracks. I've also noticed that SMI tracks prices are generally a lot higher then those of ISC tracks. Well I gave in this year and i'm going to give it a shot. I alway did appreciate him buying Kentucky and PUTTING it on the schedule even though NASCAR refused to add it for Jerry Carroll.

90% of the races I've attended have been at the Independents, Dover and Pocono. I love both places. Kentucky and Pocono seem similar in that they're simpler type facilities that try to be very fan/family friendly. I went to Michigan in 2016 and loved just as much as I did in '03 and '04.

I'm with you in that I've never been a fan of Smith and his "tactics". The North Wilkesboro deal and changing Atlanta will always irk me. But Kentucky is definitely worth a visit as I'm sure all his tracks are. Bristol is still high on my bucketlist.

I went in 2014, traveled from Chicago area to Louisville and stayed downtown. Only about 45 min from Sparta. I had a good time, I think Keselowski won. Nice track, the walk to the track was brutal worst walk into a track ever with the hills and heat. I’d like to go back again soon

We had plans on attending Kentucky this year for the first time, but we would have had to be back to Kansas Sunday morning and we didn't want to take the risk of driving there only to have the race moved to Sunday due to rain. Welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy the race.

The lack of attendance was what put Rockingham in an unresponsive coma. Bruton just pulled the plug.

it is pretty confusing SMI sold the track to Bruton Smith, but under the agreement that he wouldn't get any Nascar related events at the track. That is the short answer.

If there had been 60,000 butts in the seats on a regular basis, it wouldn't have been sold to Bruton in the first place. Indeed, Penske might not have sold it to ISC. The Rock was seeing declining attendance even before the sport peaked in popularity.

We can kick around the underlying reasons why Rockingham closed, but my point is that Bruton wasn't responsible for any of them. Somebody was going to close it, it just happened to be him.

Back
Top Bottom