NFL 2019-2020

Burger King is way better than mcdonalds. That's all

The 49ers are a very sound football team, but I guess I knew something was off and they were beatable when they seemed to dominate the Seahawks in Week 17, yet still somehow the game came down to the final play. They will figure out how to close games out, and Jimmy G was the best QB on the field for the bulk of the game.

Was an odd game. SF completely dominates 3.5 quarters, and then just falls apart at the end
Isn't that what the Falcons did against the Patriots? History repeats itself. :p

I didn't have a dog in this fight, but major congratulations to the Chiefs... it took 50 years for them to get another Super Bowl!

All down to Mahomes. When he couldn't get a receiver to catch a ball in the 3rd he ran it himself then he got magical in the 4th. What an amazing quarter.

Dumb comparison, the game has changed a lot since the '90s and Aikman played for a run-heavy team.
Yep. Everyone dismisses the fact that Aikman, Favre, Marino, Young, Bradshaw all played the majority of their careers when the NFL was run-heavy on offense. Start any of them in their prime today and they would all dominate the league's passing records.

Yep. Everyone dismisses the fact that Aikman, Favre, Marino, Young, Bradshaw all played the majority of their careers when the NFL was run-heavy on offense. Start any of them in their prime today and they would all dominate the league's passing records.
And you used to be able to just beat the snot out of quarterbacks, now you can't touch them

And you used to be able to just beat the snot out of quarterbacks, now you can't touch them

Can't play much defense at all. It sucks that a running back or wide receiver can lower his helmet without penalty. Nowadays, if a defender hits someone in their shoulder pad, it's a personal foul.

This is a very good in-depth recap of the game's key moments and decisions by Bill Barnwell.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...lew-it?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

A few points he highlights:

- Entering the 3rd and 15 play in the 4th quarter, down 20-10, the Chiefs win probability at that point was 3.9%

- He pushes back on the criticism that Shanahan didn't run the ball enough in the 4th quarter by breaking down each play. He points out that the play calls left open receivers for Garoppolo, but he didn't connect with them. This is valid, but I somewhat disagree. There were still 2-3 important plays with SF leading on which a run seemed like a higher percentage opportunity to pick up a first down, and bleed the clock.

- Jimmy G was spectacular in the course of the regular Niners offense in which the run is a threat and he can use play action. He was absolutely terrible in obvious passing situations or when he had to improvise. The stats are in the article.

- Shanahan's clock management at the end of the first half was nonsensical and possibly cost them crucial points.

- if anything this article undersells how poor Mahomes passing was for at least the first three quarters. He did not play like an MVP. He did make a few great plays on the ground that shouldn't go unnoticed, as it was his improvisation that saved him on a day that he was not throwing accurately.

- Either Damien Williams or Chris Jones are the real MVPs of the game for the Chiefs.

A4EAA711-3225-4E5E-B831-3DB1C36075BC.jpeg

Am a Steelers fan. Imagine Mean Joe or Jack Lambert in this Charmin Ultra-Soft league.

The new CBA, likely to soon be agreed upon between the league and players association, is said to include a 17 game regular season and expanded playoffs with one additional team per conference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say?platform=amp

I think the long standing structure and length of the regular season and playoffs is close to perfect. The only significant change I would have been in favor of is seeding teams by record, rather than 9-7 division winners playing home games against 12-4 wild cards. Another game and more playoff teams just feels like pure greed to me, but inevitable given how lucrative this all is.

Another week of meaningful NFL games..... Alright by me.

The players Union will get the NFL to quit testing for marijuana usage along with throwing some extra $'s their way and the NFL owners will get what they want. All about the money!

The new CBA, likely to soon be agreed upon between the league and players association, is said to include a 17 game regular season and expanded playoffs with one additional team per conference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say?platform=amp

I think the long standing structure and length of the regular season and playoffs is close to perfect. The only significant change I would have been in favor of is seeding teams by record, rather than 9-7 division winners playing home games against 12-4 wild cards. Another game and more playoff teams just feels like pure greed to me, but inevitable given how lucrative this all is.
I don’t like the 17 game season, but I’m actually OK with the 14 team playoff. There were 28 teams in the league when they expanded the playoffs to 12 teams back in 1990, percentage-wise 14 out of 32 isn’t much different. 6 games on Wild Card weekend would be pretty fun too.

I don’t like the 17 game season, but I’m actually OK with the 14 team playoff. There were 28 teams in the league when they expanded the playoffs to 12 teams back in 1990, percentage-wise 14 out of 32 isn’t much different. 6 games on Wild Card weekend would be pretty fun too.

Certainly every other major league has already watered its playoffs down to a greater extent. However, the NFL feels like the one league that doesn't need to do that. I'm not looking forward to more 8-8 playoffs teams, but there are times when deserving teams miss from stacked divisions.

Looking back at the last 10 years of what the record of the #7 seed would have been....

8-8: 5
8-7-1: 1
9-7: 8
9-6-1: 1
10-6: 5

No sub-.500 teams and only 5 out of 20 were right at .500, I don’t think we’ll see much dilution of playoff quality by adding a 7th playoff team to each conference.

Tacking on another regular season game is ridiculous, the player's go through enough physical punishment as it is. (and say goodbye to the record books if we haven't already if that happens)

Back
Top Bottom