NHL 2023-24

Brentford

Team Owner
New thread, because why not! I think there are at least three hockey fans here.

As for me, I’ve stated that I love the game, but couldn’t name many players. Regardless, it’s hockey time again and I’m excited. Subscribed to ESPN+ last night. I’ll be keeping a close eye on Detroit as always, but also San Jose as they are the affiliate of our local ECHL team.

My Flyers are in a rebuild...so of course we won our opener

I think this is The Red Wings 7th year of being in a “rebuild”. I sure would like to see them start being competitive again. They are starting to remind me of a football team I know who may or may not play in the same city.

I think this is The Red Wings 7th year of being in a “rebuild”. I sure would like to see them start being competitive again. They are starting to remind me of a football team I know who may or may not play in the same city.
I mean the Flyers have been in one but this is the first year they've admitted it.

Did anybody check out NHLs Frozen Frenzy Tuesday night? I thought it was pretty awesome from what I saw. I was popping over in-between innings and loved it. I was hoping they would do it again tonight with another 11 games on the docket tonight.

This happened locally a couple years ago. The most terrifying thought of any ice hockey player.

I don't think I've ever seen "every player on the ice has a 10 minute misconduct" call before. Honestly I've seen worse fights

I don’t get why the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA don’t try to take over certain holidays.

NFL = Thanksgiving Day
NBA = Christmas Day
NCAA Football = New Years Eve/Day
NHL = New Years Day (NHL Winter Classic / NHL Stadium Series)

I see there’s some Denver, Air Force & Colorado College games close-by. I prefer the ECHL & AHL (and NHL), was curious.
I’ve been to a few. The quality of NCAA has gone up dramatically the past few years and becoming a far more popular route for some of the elite prospects coming up.

Denver’s currently ranked 5th in the nation, 2 seasons removed from a national championship. They’re a top tier program. Check out a game if your able to.

I’ve been to a few. The quality of NCAA has gone up dramatically the past few years and becoming a far more popular route for some of the elite prospects coming up.

Denver’s currently ranked 5th in the nation, 2 seasons removed from a national championship. They’re a top tier program. Check out a game if your able to.

I think Colorado College & Air Force are the closest-by. Denver seems like the best program.

CC is playing North Dakota hockey here soon where some family went to college so that looks like the best team in town besides Army @ Air Force. Maybe Arizona State.

My issue with minor league sports, including the ECHL is that if your team has a good player, he could get called up at any time, which could make your team drop in the standings. The teams are basically players that aren’t good enough to be on an AHL or NHL team. But at the same time, it’s cool watching a player one night who could very well be on an NHL team a week later. I don’t know how affiliations work, but our affiliates aren’t anywhere close to here. My home team is The Wichita Thunder, but both our AHL and NHL affiliate are located in San Jose.

My issue with minor league sports, including the ECHL is that if your team has a good player, he could get called up at any time, which could make your team drop in the standings. The teams are basically players that aren’t good enough to be on an AHL or NHL team. But at the same time, it’s cool watching a player one night who could very well be on an NHL team a week later. I don’t know how affiliations work, but our affiliates aren’t anywhere close to here. My home team is The Wichita Thunder, but both our AHL and NHL affiliate are located in San Jose.

I think the talent is better in hockey & baseball A/AA/AAA & junior/rookie than you think. I also think the USL is better than the MLS.

The ECHL is fairly quality hockey.

I think the talent is better in hockey & baseball A/AA/AAA & junior/rookie than you think. I also think the USL is better than the MLS.

The ECHL is fairly quality hockey.

I’ve been to 100’s of college hockey games (attended Bowling Green). The speed is considerably higher at the NCAA level than the ECHL. We have a team (Toledo Walleye) and while it’s fun, college has a much faster pace. Have to understand not many from the ECHL will go to the NHL, while in college you have guys that will play there as soon as next year

I’ve been to 100’s of college hockey games (attended Bowling Green). The speed is considerably higher at the NCAA level than the ECHL. We have a team (Toledo Walleye) and while it’s fun, college has a much faster pace. Have to understand not many from the ECHL will go to the NHL, while in college you have guys that will play there as soon as next year

Interesting. I don’t hear much discussion about college hockey, college baseball, or college lacrosse much. College hockey is a growing sport.

Interesting. I don’t hear much discussion about college hockey, college baseball, or college lacrosse much. College hockey is a growing sport.
The SEC’s “It just means more” is apropos of baseball even more than football. College baseball is a huge deal in the South, especially the SEC, but also across the ACC/Sun Belt/Big XII. Pretty much the inverse of hockey.

Interesting tidbit - the last two times the Frozen Four was held in Tampa it’s been co-hosted by Wisconsin. The first time it was in conjunction with Alabama-Huntsville since they were the southernmost D1 program at the time.

The SEC’s “It just means more” is apropos of baseball even more than football. College baseball is a huge deal in the South, especially the SEC, but also across the ACC/Sun Belt/Big XII. Pretty much the inverse of hockey.

Interesting tidbit - the last two times the Frozen Four was held in Tampa it’s been co-hosted by Wisconsin. The first time it was in conjunction with Alabama-Huntsville since they were the southernmost D1 program at the time.

Yeah the SEC, Big 12, Sun Belt do college baseball well. I think another big NCAA D1 school should start a hockey program like Arizona State did.

Exactly. College baseball is for the southern schools and college hockey is of similar stature at the northern schools. Lacrosse has a nice fanbase too but isn’t as big as either of those two I mentioned

Kinda funny that Winnipeg Jets & Colorado Avalanche are on top of the Western Conference lol. Been maybe trying to go an NHL road game in Manitoba.

Winnipeg vs. Florida rematch sounds bad for the ratings. They need CO to make the NHL Stanley Cup.

Admittedly, I haven’t watched much hockey this year. But did Detroit seriously miss the playoffs in a tiebreaker!?!? Sounds about right. But that’s the closest they have been in quite some time, so I guess it’s progress.

Admittedly, I haven’t watched much hockey this year. But did Detroit seriously miss the playoffs in a tiebreaker!?!? Sounds about right. But that’s the closest they have been in quite some time, so I guess it’s progress.
I mean hey you even got that close since the Flyers decided to lose like 10 of their last 12 or something like that. Though honestly I'd rather go out now then get smoked in the first round.

I mean hey you even got that close since the Flyers decided to lose like 10 of their last 12 or something like that. Though honestly I'd rather go out now then get smoked in the first round.
Yeah, Detroit wouldn’t have made it far either. But dang, I’m starting to forget what it’s like to have a team in the playoffs. Heck, even the local ECHL team here nearly finished dead last in the league. Hockey playoffs are exciting…I just want to enjoy it again!

Back
Top Bottom