[NHRA] - Capps wins $100,000 Budweiser Shootout

paul

Team Owner
http://www.nhra.com/2002/news/september/090101.html

Ron Capps raced to his third Budweiser Shootout victory Sunday at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals, the world's most prestigious drag race.

Capps earned the $100,000 payday in the special bonus event for Funny Car competitors by clocking a 4.971 second run at 293.47 mph in his Skoal Chevy Camaro to hold off Dean Skuza's Mopar Parts Dodge Stratus R/T, which trailed with a 5.061 at 282.19. Should Capps win tomorrow's Funny Car eliminations he will claim a $50,000 'double-up' bonus from NHRA, bringing his potential weekend earnings to more than $230,000.

"This is awesome," said Capps, who also won the Budweiser Shootout in 1998 and 1999. "I can't believe we won this race again. The guys really worked hard and we had some tough rounds today. We've been struggling and the car wants to run. When you look at the ladder for the Bud Shootout, gosh, the guys we had to race today. I knew this could be a really quick day or it could be an extremely grueling long race, which it was. The race tomorrow is going to be huge. With Snake doubling-up at this race years ago in the Skoal Bandit car and everything that has happened here over the years, it gives you chills."

Man I really felt bad for him on Monday, but was glad to see Force get another Wally with the "Mustang".

Windsor

Back
Top Bottom