Nicest Driver

Who do you think Is probably the nicest Winston Cup driver?

• Ward Burton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry Labonte

• Kyle Petty

• Kenny Wallace

• Bobby Labonte

• Michael Waltrip

• Total voters
W

Ward Burton

Who do you think Is probably the nicest Winston Cup driver? I said Terry Labonte, he really seems to never get mad and he just is a real cool driver... :) I forgot to put Mark Martin and Johnny Benson on there, so state that If you think they are. :)

I picked Bobby, I think Johnny Benson is a very close second.

All of the people on the poll are nice,but I think Benson is nicest.

of that list I'd say Terry Labonte. Of all the drivers, I would say Bill Elliott.

Of your choices I would say Terry Labonte. Very cool and calm guy and always a class act.

But in actuality I would think its Robby Gordon, which is why I am an fan of his. Note this article:

http://www.catchfence.com/html/2003/lt051203.html

Racing is a wonderful atmosphere for children. I know that now. I experienced first hand what a difference the drivers can make in the lives of those who adore them. Yes, they might be people we have never met, however, any race fan can tell you that the drivers are much more than that. They are people we relate to, heroes we have specifically chosen to root for. For one young girl, my niece, I realized just how much this sport means to her.

I introduced Jessi to racing at a young age. She didn't care for it much back then. Actually, she hated it. Truth be known, I think it was because she equated the fact that when racing was on tv, I was not to be interrupted. Since I have always made my time available to her, and my other niece and nephew, I think it was difficult for them to understand. Granted, we are not of true blood relation but don't tell them that. They have grown up knowing this, but refuse to debate the issue. I take pride in that, and they know that regardless, I love them.

As Jessi began to come around to racing, I had questioned whether I had used the right judgment in encouraging her to follow it. She had chosen Kenny Irwin as the driver she rooted for, as he was the first driver she had met in person. She was completely devastated when he passed away.

Most of us know the dangers of racing, and for the most part we accept this. However, for a child, it isn't that easy. After Kenny's death we went through the same thing with Adam Petty, and then of course, Dale Earnhardt. It shook her up, but nevertheless, she continued to follow it.

Jessi has been through some tough things in life. She has since grown and matured into a beautiful 13 year old girl. Along with her growth, her love in racing continued to mature and flourish. I decided that it was time for her to see her first race, a Busch race in Fontana, CA, in 1999. She was hooked. I let her make the trip with me to Phoenix for her first Winston Cup race in 2002, and that's all it took. She feverishly saved every single penny that came her way, determined that she would attend the Winston Cup and Busch Series weekend at California Speedway this year.

Each year, I take her to the Speed Freaks celebration welcoming NASCAR to Southern California. Several drivers were expected to appear, and she insisted that we go, so she could add to her autograph collection. Given the fact that she knew I would be working throughout the weekend, at least this was one thing we could do together.

She met with several drivers, getting autographs and politely thanking them. First Brian Vickers, then Ron Hornaday, David Green, and then Chad Blount. Each time she returned with a smile, assuring me that she had thanked each driver for their time as she had been taught.

Robby Gordon was also scheduled to appear, and as he arrived, she rushed over to his line to obtain his autograph. She got much more than that, and walked away a lifetime fan.

I stood in the distance, and watched while she approached him with the autograph book that she has treasured since her meeting with Kenny Irwin. She faithfully carried it up to Robby to sign, which he did. He began a conversation with her, questioning her about her driver of choice, teasing her a bit, and they both laughed as she walked away.

Throughout the night, Robby signed autograph after autograph while Jessi looked on. As he was preparing to leave, she spoke to him, despite my objections, and he stopped and spoke with her again. I didn't want Jessi to appear rude and allow the man to leave without issue. She apparently knew better of the situation than I did.

Robby stopped on his way out began speaking with her again. The two stood there talking along with her two friends and Robby's girlfriend. They laughed and joked for a good five minutes, and Jessi walked away starstruck at what had just taken place. Normally a very shy young woman, she had no reservations about joking around with the NASCAR star.

I knew right then, that everything I see in this sport and its drivers, their down to earth nature and willingness to interact with the fans, she had just witnessed for herself. I realized that I had made the right choice in bringing this sport to her, and encouraging her love for it.

In today's world, there aren't that many celebrities or sports stars that would take the time with her that he did. It was clear as I observed them, that it wasn't a show for the onlookers. He was very genuine in the way he interacted with her and the other girls, and wasn't trying to be polite in fending off an over-aggressive fan. I knew it, and so did everyone around us.

Robby went out of his way for her, and showed her that this sport truly is different. She hasn't stopped talking about it since. Each time she sees Robby's car on the track, it brings a sense of pride and a smile to her face.

Yes, he made a lifetime fan that night, out of both of us.

You can reach Lori Tyler at: [email protected]

I belive it should go to kenny wallace cause he always like joking around hanging out with people. :D

Attachments

• 2flames_diecast.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 14
There is one more driver that is so nice and I think that is why he never wins, Johnny Benson. I think that sometimes you can be a little too nice especially on the track........ :rolleyes:

......JEFF GORDON RULES......

I haven't met every single driver out there so I can't say.

Originally posted by gordon24fan@May 21 2003, 04:57 PM
I haven't met every single driver out there so I can't say.
Who acts and look as If he is the nicest driver out there...there are many nice drivers, but just try to pick out one that seems to be the nicest... :)

I went with Bobby. Other drivers has made comments about Bobby being a clean driver. That they trust Bobby behind them. He just has a innocent face :lilangel:

I had to do a null vote. I know who is polite. Not sure that equal nice.

i have met Kenny Shrader and Kenny Wallace. they boath are very nice but i with with wallace because he was listed. and was in a better mood that night cause shrader had to race in 2 differnt classes that night.

I haven't met any of the drivers. So I have to go with what I read about them. So I went with Ward Burton. And belive it or not. I have read some pretty good things about Jimmy Spencer. ( off the track that is. ) :D

I got to gowith Kyke on that one!! And JB would be second!!! Thats one of the reasons why they are my favorite!!

Back
Top Bottom