Nicky Hayden seriously injured in car-bicycle accident

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
Numerous reports have it that MotoGP champion Nicky Hayden is hospitalized in a Riccione hospital, and is listed in critical condition. Hayden was on a group bicycle ride today in Italy when he was struck by a car.

Accident scene photos have been posted on an Italian news site. The car which struck Hayden is shown with major damage to the front fender, hood, windshield and roof.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/hayden-hospitalized-critical-condition/

A translation of a report appearing in Italian at www.riminitoday.it said Hayden was riding with a group of cyclists at around 2:00 p.m. local time when he was struck by a car and suffered severe head and chest trauma. Photos posted with the article show a car with significant impact damage to its windshield and roof.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...a-car-while-riding-his-bicycle-in-san-marino/

https://www.motorsport.com/wsbk/news/motogp-hayden-serious-condition-road-accident-907085/

**** that's scary.

It makes me nervous that basically all pro racers-whether it be 2 wheels or 4 wheels train via cycling.... it really is very risky

Terrible news. Hope for as full a recovery as possible.

**** that's scary.

It makes me nervous that basically all pro racers-whether it be 2 wheels or 4 wheels train via cycling.... it really is very risky

Intuitively it is obvious that road bikes are at a huge disadvantage in collisions with cars and trucks. Statistically speaking, a person who splits his / her time between driving or riding in automobiles and cycling is more likely to be killed or maimed in a car on a highway.

Nicky Hayden has been hospitalized after a collision with a car while training on his bicycle near Riccione in Italy. According to reports from local newspaper Rimini Today, Hayden was out cycling on Wednesday afternoon with a group of other cyclists when at around 2pm, he was hit by a car. The causes of the accident are as yet uncertain.

Hayden was treated for his injuries by the emergency services, and then taken to the emergency department of Rimini Hospital. He was assessed there, and was transferred to the Bufalini Hospital in Cesena, 40km away.
According to reports from Italy, he is being treated in the trauma center of that hospital.

The precise extent of Hayden's injuries is as yet unknown. As soon as we have more confirmed details, we will let you know.

UPDATE: 22:14 CEST

According to GPOne.com, the press chief of the Bufalini hospital issued a statement on Nicky Hayden, saying that Hayden was in a "very serious" condition and that he has been moved to the intensive care unit. Hayden is being kept in an artificial coma for the time being, and will be assessed again on Thursday. (Source: MotoMatters.com)

Seeing the damage to that car, I am just sick. Totally one of the nicest racers you could ever meet.
His mother and brother Tommy are on their way to Italy.

Seeing the damage to that car, I am just sick.

That and the fact that it's all head and chest trauma really paints the picture. Gnarly as hell. Hope he recovers.

Seeing the damage to that car, I am just sick. Totally one of the nicest racers you could ever meet.
His mother and brother Tommy are on their way to Italy.
I get the feeling that they may be keeping him "alive" until all of his family can be by his side, similar to what happened with Justin Wilson after the incident at Pocono. I really hope that's not the case.

I get the feeling that they may be keeping him "alive" until all of his family can be by his side, similar to what happened with Justin Wilson after the incident at Pocono. I really hope that's not the case.
I see no reason whatsoever to post such baseless speculations. I have the feeling that a great racer has been injured, and further information on his condition will come when it comes.

Hayden.jpg

Update on Nicky Hayden from Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team

The Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team would like to share the latest news on Nicky Hayden.

As well as having his fiancé Jackie by his side, Nicky has now been joined by his brother Tommy and mother Rose who arrived in Italy from the United States earlier today.

Below is a statement on Nicky’s condition from the Maurizio Bufalini Hospital in Cesena, Italy.

“Nicky Hayden’s clinical condition remains extremely critical.

The young man, who is still in the intensive care unit of Cesena’s Bufalini hospital, has suffered a serious polytrauma with subsequent serious cerebral damage.

The prognosis remains reserved.”

Nicky Hayden WashingtonPost.jpg

Damn .......... I always liked that guy :(

The Haydens are a tough bunch ...... he will recover :booya:

Godspeed NH69. You are liked, admired, and respected by all who knew you. Guys like you... "It's why we line up on Sundays, 'cause you never know what will happen."
nicky-hayden-dirt.jpg
nicky-hayden-flag3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom