NICO ROSBERG SURPRISE RETIREMENT!!!!

He means that unless Mercedes is able to hire a driver of the caliber of Alonso (or Vettel), there will be no more dual #1's and a younger driver will slot in as a clear #2 to Hamilton.

Yes, Alonso and Hamilton had a hilariously tumultuous and terrible pairing as teammates in 2007 with McLaren. The fact that Alonso went back to McLaren after that proves that anything is possible in F1. Both drivers are different today than they were, and it's not Hamilton making the hire.
This. Anyone who could contend with Hamilton (Vettel, Alonso, Ricciardo) 1v1 is off the board. Mercedes could find themselves a reasonable #2 but they're not going to knock it out of the park against one of the all-time greats.

I really like Bottas for some reason. I think he could contend for some wins in top notch equipment.

Half the grid of drivers in F1 could have contended for wins in a Mercedes the past few years with the advantage they had. I really hope that's diminished next year.

I like Bottas and would be happy for him. He's a very solid driver and would be a smart, safe choice for Mercedes. It won't create the kind of excitement the veteran stars mentioned previously would.

Since Rosberg announced his retirement, it looks like Mercedes is trying to find a way to not give Wehrlein that seat.
I don't know why Mercedes has a driver development program when they don't give development drivers a chance to drive their car in 2017 when no other top driver is on offer.
Wehrlein is only the second driver to score points in a Manor since they entered F1 in 2010. and I don't know why Mercedes doesn't want to give the seat to a driver that they have developed for getting into F1. Wehrlein already tested the 2016 car at the mid-season tests and he wasn't far off the pace.

Since Rosberg announced his retirement, it looks like Mercedes is trying to find a way to not give Wehrlein that seat.
I don't know why Mercedes has a driver development program when they don't give development drivers a chance to drive their car in 2017 when no other top driver is on offer.
Wehrlein is only the second driver to score points in a Manor since they entered F1 in 2010. and I don't know why Mercedes doesn't want to give the seat to a driver that they have developed for getting into F1. Wehrlein already tested the 2016 car at the mid-season tests and he wasn't far off the pace.

They seem to think he's not ready for the top seat yet and don't want to risk losing a Constructors' Championship with rookie inconsistency. They want to park him at Williams for a couple years and keep him in the pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom