No More Burnouts??? Whats next NASCAR

T

tstwrt2win2002

NASCAR is now stating if you do a victory burnout and blow a tire you are risking having the win taken away. This decision comes from the burnout Gregg Biffle did in the BUSCH race Sat. night. He blew a tire, and due to that, the car was "too low". Theres that :bs: 1/8 rule again. Heres a good question for NASCAR. If they blow a tire during a victory burn why cant they put one of the used tires, that came off the car durring the race, for the post race inspection?

If NASCAR thinks its not accurate enough because its not the tire the driver won the race on, then whats next, "Mid-Race Inspections"? Instead of a 7th inning stretch, we'll have the 150 lap inspection.

C'mon NASCAR give us a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's too say that the race winner isn't doing a burnout to cover up the fact that his car was too low. Maybe instead of jumping Nascar you should try to see things from their perspective.

"Who's too say that the race winner isn't doing a burnout to cover up the fact that his car was too low."

No offence, but come on. Not one driver, Crew chief, or NASCAR official knows If the car is too low untill the inspection. And how would they "Hide" it by making the car lower by doing a burnout.

All I'm saying is that this is the reason for Nascar's Rule, same as not allowing the driver to jump on the roof of the car after the race. Perfectly logical reasons behind both rules, yet Nascar is the bad guy for trying to keep the rules enforced. Oh, and a crew chief could know his car was too low, if they had set it up that way. The only person who can know that for sure would in fact be the crew chief, the driver would probably be kept in the dark, plausable deniabilty and all that.

What STUPID:bs:.

Just read this on Jayski and Na$ca$h seems to have lost a lot of respect with this ruling.

Blatant infractions (ie Sterling during the red flag) are one thing, cheating deserves penalties, BUT a car that is too low after the race by a fraction for whatever reason loosing points or the win is pure crap.

Publish the damn rules and stop the petty schidt

Kat,
The rules are published as far as height requirements go. Why should anyone found not complying with this rule not be fined/have points taken away?

Originally posted by mlitefan01
All I'm saying is that this is the reason for Nascar's Rule, same as not allowing the driver to jump on the roof of the car after the race.  Perfectly logical reasons behind both rules, yet Nascar is the bad guy for trying to keep the rules enforced.  Oh, and a crew chief could know his car was too low, if they had set it up that way.  The only person who can know that for sure would in fact be the crew chief, the driver would probably be kept in the dark, plausable deniabilty and all that.

Again, BS. If the car passed inspection BEFORE the race, incidents during or after the race should not be penalided that severely.
What if a car flips, then comes back and finished well enough for them to get a post race restriction should they be fined too?

So your saying that if a car passes pre race inspection then whatever is wrong with the car post race should be disregarded as "typical" race wear? That is leaving the door open for all kinds of infractions. What would keep the teams from springs that collapsed a few laps into the race? As for the flipping car theory, that is reaching, have you ever seen a car even finish a race in a top 20 position after flipping?

Ok, back to the original question, why cant they replace the blown tires with tires that were removed during the race? I understand they have to have rules, I'm not disputing that. I just think things are getting too exact, and its starting to take the "FUN" out of the sport. Let the winners show "Some" excitement about winning a race.

And yes you are right about a crew chief setting up a car too low, but, why would he if he knows he's gonna get fined for it. Obviously he knows NASCAR is enforcing that rule.

And Kat, didn't Dale Sr. flip his car a few year back? If I remember correctly he flipped it and it landed on all fours, he was getting in the ambulance when he heard the safety crews start the car, got out of the ambulance and finished the race in it.

Stewart Fan, I don't know for sure, but I think the post race inspection requires that the tires you finish the race on are the ones that you need to have on the car, if someone could clarify that I would appreciate it. As for the crew chief knowing he would get fined for having the car too low, what is 50k dollars or more compared to what you take home for winning the race? As for Dale finishing the race after flipping the car, I seem to remember something to that effect, but I don't know how he finished, Kat would probably know, she has been a fan longer than I have.

I know it was in the mid 90's. But I dont remember what race it was. Also he did not win the race, but he did finish it.

Besides Biffle knew his car was 1/16" too low. He could tell because he is just that darn good. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tstwrt2win2002

And Kat, didn't Dale Sr. flip his car a few year back? If I remember correctly he flipped it and it landed on all fours, he was getting in the ambulance when he heard the safety crews start the car, got out of the ambulance and finished the race in it.
[/b]

TSTWRT2WIN, this exactly the point I was making.

And a crew chief couldn't "set up" a car too low due to pre race inspections.

puller rubbers, tire wear, mashed springs, normal wear and tear,used up fluids and multiple other reasons could cause a "low" car at the end of a race.

Miller fan, I'm sure there is a stipulation about the inspection being done with the tires he won with,but really what difference is that going to make, the tires are tires. They all get them from the same the same place, theres not much anyones going to be able to do to them to get an advantage.

Ok, If Nascar can make a rule change of no more burnouts, Instead, how about a rule change that says for the post race inspection the crew has to put 4 brand new tires on the car, this way a team cant get any advantage or disadvantage due to any abnormal tire-wear. Then we can leave a little fun for the driver and fans and still have a accurate reading.

BTW didnt Rusty go across the finish line on his roof once?

I'd rather for someone explain how whoever's (I forgot who) car lost 16 pounds in qualifying and they had to go to the back. They weighed going out and weighed coming back in and were light. How do you lose 16 freaking pounds on the track? Did he stop at the portapotty or something? And, considering 3400 pounds total weight does 16 make a huge difference?

Originally posted by kat2220

TSTWRT2WIN, this exactly the point I was making.

And a crew chief couldn't "set up" a car too low due to pre race inspections.

puller rubbers, tire wear, mashed springs, normal wear and tear,used up fluids and multiple other reasons could cause a "low" car at the end of a race.

Mashed Springs, exactly, if you used a spring that was purposefully too soft for the race conditions how is that not cheating? Pulling a spring rubber during a race, if your car is the correct ride height with all spring rubbers in, wouldn't checking the ride height with the rubbers pulled be the intelligent thing to do? Yes, normal race wear can affect ride height of a car, but should be planned for. As for the flipped car scenario, it has happened once in how many races?

No, but the crew chief could set up the car with springs that would sag over a period of time. Please don't fall into the trap that theses guys don't know what is going on. They always try and push the envelope to see what they can get away with. Whether or not 1/8" will make that much of a difference in the speed and/or the handling I don't know. But, I would bet that there are some on the circuit who could tell you exactly what it would or would not do. My heart bleeds for them. :rolleyes:

I agree - 1/4" or 16 pounds is not much....

--- BUT ---

The rules ARE the rules. I don't know the exact wording of the rules, but I am sure it doesn't give a height or weight requirement of ABOUT xxx or NEAR xxx...

If a car is 1/4" too low, is it OK? If so, what about 1/2? then 3/4, then 1", etc... You have to draw the line somewhere, and I believe the rules do that.

If you don't like the rule, complain about that. But don't complain about the rules being enforced. Everyone has to play by the same rules anyway....

[If a car is 1/4" too low, is it OK? If so, what about 1/2? then 3/4, then 1", etc... You have to draw the line somewhere, and I believe the rules do that.

If you don't like the rule, complain about that. But don't complain about the rules being enforced. Everyone has to play by the same rules anyway.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Im not complaining about the height rule. Im just trying to say leave a little fun in the sport. I dont see anything wrong with making everyone happy like the "new tires" idea.Whats wrong with that.

As I mentioned before, the only problem I see with the "new" tires is that I beleive the rules call for inspection to have tires that the car finished on...still trying to clarify. The other problem with this if the tires had been altered in any way nascar couldn't police it. (adding track bite or other softening compound to the tires)

OK then change that rule the same way they added the no burnout rule. And what can the team possibly do to a tire. NASCAR already polices' the tire--everyone is on a Goodyear.

So you want:
1). Your car must be at least xx inches of the ground but not over xx inches.
2). You car must weight at least xx pounds but not over xx pounds.
3). Your roof height must be at least xx inches but not over xx inches.
4). Your engine displacement must be....
With no bending, no variances, etc. If you don't meet the guidelines then you lose the money, the points and you start at the back in your next race.

What are you trying to do? Put the race into the hands of the drivers and the mechanics. Are you trying to remove NASCAR from the situation altogether. Why, if you did that we might have something like a race....

As I mentioned in my above post; "(adding track bite or other softening compound to the tires)"

Perhaps you should lay the sarcasm on a little thicker b.p. :) BTW I am pretty sure there isn't a max weight...weighing more than everyone else would just hurt more than help

I remember that race where Dale Sr. flipped and got back in his car to finish the race. It was at Daytona when Jeff Gordon won his second 500 I believe. If I remember correctly Jeff got inside of Sr. coming off the corner and it pushed Sr. into the wall and thus cause a big wreck upon which he flipped. He did finish in that car but I don't think he was on the lead lap.

Originally posted by mlitefan01
Perhaps you should lay the sarcasm on a little thicker b.p. :) BTW I am pretty sure there isn't a max weight...weighing more than everyone else would just hurt more than help

It's not so much as sarcasm. Everyone just gripes about the rules in this invisible NASCAR rule book. In days of yore teams were allowed a little leeway to experiment. To try new and different things. Now it is becoming a cookie cutter race series. And, everyone is putting down TRAC before they even start running. I'm just wanting them to let the teams be innovative. And to do that you allow variances.

Variances are ok, as long as they fall within the established rules. The height infraction is a rule that hasn't been changed recently. The number of cars failing post race inspection has though. Thus the need to eliminate possible causes for the height problems. If you take away everything that can cause a car to be low then you are only left with the conclusion that the car was purposely low.

Originally posted by kat2220
What STUPID:bs:.

Just read this on Jayski and Na$ca$h seems to have lost a lot of respect with this ruling.

Blatant infractions (ie Sterling during the red flag) are one thing, cheating deserves penalties, BUT a car that is too low after the race by a fraction for whatever reason loosing points or the win is pure crap.

Publish the damn rules and stop the petty schidt

What do you mean by stop that petty schidt

Originally posted by B.C. - 24
I remember that race where Dale Sr. flipped and got back in his car to finish the race.  It was at Daytona when Jeff Gordon won his second 500 I believe.  If I remember correctly Jeff got inside of Sr. coming off the corner and it pushed Sr. into the wall and thus cause a big wreck upon which he flipped.  He did finish in that car but I don't think he was on the lead lap.

It was the 1997 Daytona 500.

Ahh....so it was Jeff's first 500 win. I wasn't exactly sure.

I still think that would be a stupid rule, but hell, remember when people were standing on their roofs, Nascar started putting those little rails next to them when they won? Not a stretch of the imagination for them to take points away if you blow a tire.

Ok, back to the original question, why cant they replace the blown tires with tires that were removed during the race? I understand they have to have rules, I'm not disputing that. I just think things are getting too exact, and its starting to take the "FUN" out of the sport. Let the winners show "Some" excitement about winning a race.

I agree 100%.

I didn't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating what has already been said. I think it's a good rule for several reason. First, safety. At a place like Bristol, it would be easy for something to fly off the car and over the fence. Second, it would be easy for a team to have an illegal motor, win the race, and blow it up during a post-race burn out. I'm surprised more teams haven't attempted to do this. I remember when DW won The Winston in the late 80's and his motor just happened to blow up when crossing the finish line. DW has never denied having an illegal motor. It would be easy to do the same thing today, but low it up after the race during a burn out.

gopherguy....if they outlaw doing burnouts and other displays following the race the sport wouldn't be as much fun to watch? I'm not saying I don't enjoy a good burn out, but I'm not gonna quit watching just cause they outlaw them.

I haven't read the "rule" about burnouts, but as I understand it -- they didn't outlaw them, they just said that if you do it AND blow a tire in the process there will be a problem....

If you want to do a burnout - go for it, just don't hurt the car in the process --- what's wrong with that?

Even better, so they can do the burn outs, just in moderation. Works for me, so why is this thread getting so long.... :D

Back
Top Bottom