Noah G on list of drivers possible to 48?

How come people keep putting Reddick in the 48? They really want him out of RCR I guess. I think RC can rebuild the organization around Tyler and I would think by now both parties know that. Even Austin has been running well since we came back from the stoppage and was running better than last year before that. RCR is on the up and up I think, Tyler's not going anywhere. I'd be SHOCKED.
Even Bubba is running better.

The same list could be made for the successful ones though. It's hit or miss imo.
I cant think of too many that had standout success in Xfinity BEFORE coming to cup and had large success in cup.

Maybe MYJ and Jr? From what I remember guys like Harvick and Kyle Busch did ok but nothing over the top.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Noah is impressing the hell out of me. I agree....not quite ready, but he will be some day.
I remember when I first saw Noah in a truck race. Liked the hell out of him. He's fast. Makes a lot of mistakes though. I agree, he needs some more seasoning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If I was Rick and I’m not but if I was I’d go for a veteran driver who already has won a championship or a yearly contender for the Championship 4 instead of Noah in the 48. I’d let Noah marinate in Xfinity for a year or two while waiting to see if the Bowman or Byron combo either or work out, then you have that ace in the hole if a replacement is needed in the 88 or 24.

If I was Rick and I’m not but if I was I’d go for a veteran driver who already has won a championship or a yearly contender for the Championship 4 instead of Noah in the 48. I’d let Noah marinate in Xfinity for a year or two while waiting to see if the Bowman or Byron combo either or work out, then you have that ace in the hole if a replacement is needed in the 88 or 24.

By your description you have to mean Kez, which is fine with me, BUT the downside is that if Gragson turns out to be the real deal and Byron and Bowman run anywhere near their capability, now you have no place for Noah, and it's the Keselowski deal all over again from a decade ago. Remember that we are talking about HMS here. Drivers seldom get shown the door unless their numbers REALLY stink. As I stated though, I don't think Noah is quite ready for Cup. If he IS the guy Rick wants, I would have done everything possible to keep Jimmie in that car one more year and THEN make the switch.

I cant think of too many that had standout success in Xfinity BEFORE coming to cup and had large success in cup.

Maybe MYJ and Jr? From what I remember guys like Harvick and Kyle Busch did ok but nothing over the top.

Depends on measure of success.

(Chase, Blaney, Jones, Larson) were standout good in Xfinity and have multiple wins at the Cup level. Too early to tell on Bell, Byron, and Reddick but it does look promising.

JR, MTJ, Biffle, Bobby Labonte all won Busch championships before they went to Cup, Harvick won it his rookie year, Kyle (5 win Busch season before he moved up to Cup).

By your description you have to mean Kez, which is fine with me, BUT the downside is that if Gragson turns out to be the real deal and Byron and Bowman run anywhere near their capability, now you have no place for Noah, and it's the Keselowski deal all over again from a decade ago. Remember that we are talking about HMS here. Drivers seldom get shown the door unless their numbers REALLY stink. As I stated though, I don't think Noah is quite ready for Cup. If he IS the guy Rick wants, I would have done everything possible to keep Jimmie in that car one more year and THEN make the switch.
Not gonna lie, I’m getting worried about Willy B. I expected him to be contending for wins each week by this time of the year and knocking on the door. I’d be fine with Kez or (gulp) Denny in the 48 honestly. It’s going to be a hell of a fun time watching the 48 replacement play out.

How come people keep putting Reddick in the 48? They really want him out of RCR I guess. I think RC can rebuild the organization around Tyler and I would think by now both parties know that. Even Austin has been running well since we came back from the stoppage and was running better than last year before that. RCR is on the up and up I think, Tyler's not going anywhere. I'd be SHOCKED.
Reddick is the best driver to come through RCR since Harvick.

Not gonna lie, I’m getting worried about Willy B. I expected him to be contending for wins each week by this time of the year and knocking on the door.

They DO seem to have regressed a little. As the HMS story goes, to many unforced errors.......

Not gonna lie, I’m getting worried about Willy B. I expected him to be contending for wins each week by this time of the year and knocking on the door. I’d be fine with Kez or (gulp) Denny in the 48 honestly. It’s going to be a hell of a fun time watching the 48 replacement play out.
way too early too judge Byron, like 4-5 years too early. I don't think Liberty U or Axalta money will dry up, his development time is being paid for

I have to keep reminding myself that Bowman has several years more experience, even if it was in bottom tier gear.

way too early too judge Byron, like 4-5 years too early. I don't think Liberty U or Axalta money will dry up, his development time is being paid for
Might be true. But lately it has been proven teams arnt waiting 4-5 years for talent to develop in Cup anymore (Joey Logano, Daniel Saurez and Erik Jones jump to mind)

Might be true. But lately it has been proven teams arnt waiting 4-5 years for talent to develop in Cup anymore (Joey Logano, Daniel Saurez and Erik Jones jump to mind)
Suarez is 28, Byron is 22. Hendrick seems to be playing the long game with stable drivers. It's less flashy and exciting but I believe their continuity will pay off greatly down the road.

Also Byron started racing late models in 2015, he's had far less seat time than the usual dev driver. I believe HMS fully understands what they're getting with him. Him having funding affords him the time he needs to learn.

Suarez is 28, Byron is 22. Hendrick seems to be playing the long game with stable drivers. It's less flashy and exciting but I believe their continuity will pay off greatly down the road.

Also Byron started racing late models in 2015, he's had far less seat time than the usual dev driver. I believe HMS fully understands what they're getting with him. Him having funding affords him the time he needs to learn.
Byron isn't that far off the beam either IMO. He is points wise in the chase right now 15th, 31 points ahead of Jones who is behind him. 12 points from being tied at 13th and 3 more than that gets him in 12th.

Other than as a seat warmer waiting on Gragson, some other hot shoe in the development pipeline or a big name free agent availble in a year or two, I just don't see the value in putting in some veteran who's near the end of the line for THIS team. All the current drivers have had Jimmie Johnson as a mentor for three or more years, Chase is an old soul, and for things outside of current track stuff, they have Jeff Gordon to lean on, plus tons of experienced crew chiefs and crew members. Sometimes an old veteran can really help a team progress. In this case I just don't see it making much difference. Given the choice, I think I would just go with the rookie and let him take his lumps.

reason to get a veteran would be more for performance than mentorship, like I think if they can get a young guy who's currently better than all veteran options they should but veteran drivers are usually just better than young ones

reason to get a veteran would be more for performance than mentorship, like I think if they can get a young guy who's currently better than all veteran options they should but veteran drivers are usually just better than young ones

But why go for a short term solution when you are looking for a long term solution? You have to think that barring some real issues, they are going to put three cars minimum in the playoffs every year, so how much are you really gaining? Yeah, you might win a couple more races during the year, but this not Roush Fenway or even CGR where you're just looking for ANYTHING positive to build on, this is HMS. My feeling is that IF the cars are good enough to win, Chase and Alex can win plenty of races, and at some point I think Byron can too. If the cars are not that good, it probably doesn't matter who is driving the 48, so why not bring up a kid and let them get experience? Obviously Keselowski answers ALL of these questions, but who knows if that is actually a real option?

But why go for a short term solution when you are looking for a long term solution? You have to think that barring some real issues, they are going to put three cars minimum in the playoffs every year, so how much are you really gaining? Yeah, you might win a couple more races during the year, but this not Roush Fenway or even CGR where you're just looking for ANYTHING positive to build on, this is HMS. My feeling is that IF the cars are good enough to win, Chase and Alex can win plenty of races, and at some point I think Byron can too. If the cars are not that good, it probably doesn't matter who is driving the 48, so why not bring up a kid and let them get experience? Obviously Keselowski answers ALL of these questions, but who knows if that is actually a real option?
If the short term option is better than the long term one then why not take it? I'm sure they're not specifically planning to get a young guy or an old guy, they're likely just looking for the best value and that could come in the form of a driver at about any age below ~40. They shouldn't limit their search to only younger drivers IMO because it would shut down potential good options

If the short term option is better than the long term one then why not take it? I'm sure they're not specifically planning to get a young guy or an old guy, they're likely just looking for the best value and that could come in the form of a driver at about any age below ~40. They shouldn't limit their search to only younger drivers IMO because it would shut down potential good options

Mainly because with the notable exception of Mark Martin, which was a special siuation, that's just not how HMS operates. They are always looking for guys that they can keep around for the long haul. For the sake of argument, who do you think would be a better short term option? Do you think ANY of those short term options could step into the 48 and compete for a championship right now? Because that would be the ONLY thing that would interest me about that option. Give me Kevin Harvick and I'll see it your way. Otherwise, groom a kid that can be in that car for the next decade. If nothing else, you may find out who ISN'T the guy long term.

I think the guy that might be overlooked in this whole deal is JHN I think he's doing more with less than anyone in cup right now

I have ALWAYS been intrigued by that possibility, but I sure would like to him in a GOOD FULL TIME Xfinity car for a year or two just to see if he can be consistent week in and week out. I understand it's all about funding, but I have been wishing that Jr. could put together a full time deal for some time. I wish Pilot would finally come to the realization that they are pissing their money down the drain backing that stiff Annett when they could be helping drivers with real talent get to the big show.

That's yota land. Hendrick don't play that.
Well I might be moving the goal posts here from my initial post but Rick has made changes in the past with Casey Mears, Brian Vickers, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch. What I’m trying to say is he’s not shy making a change if it’s needed. I’m not advocating launching Byron either, I wouldn’t do it myself. But I would have thought he’d win a race by now at this point of the year and very well might have if not for the stoppage earlier this year. I really hope he puts the 24 back in VL this year.

I have ALWAYS been intrigued by that possibility, but I sure would like to him in a GOOD FULL TIME Xfinity car for a year or two just to see if he can be consistent week in and week out. I understand it's all about funding, but I have been wishing that Jr. could put together a full time deal for some time. I wish Pilot would finally come to the realization that they are pissing their money down the drain backing that stiff Annett when they could be helping drivers with real talent get to the big show.
I’d like to see JHN in a Jr Motorsports ride, but hopefully he’s here to stay in Cup. He’s been fun to watch along with Reddick this year. A pleasant surprise in my book.

Well like I posted above I’m not trying to say HMS should launch William. It’s been pointed out he’s in the playoffs as of now and he’s been at or close to solid. I also don’t care either way if they get a flashy hire for the 48 or making changes to make changes, my point being is that I sort of thought William would hav won a race by now and maybe would have if it wasn’t for the Covid break this year. Maybe he still will this year, hope he does, I want to see that 24 Axalta Chevy in VL again.

Well I might be moving the goal posts here from my initial post but Rick has made changes in the past with Casey Mears, Brian Vickers, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch. What I’m trying to say is he’s not shy making a change if it’s needed. I’m not advocating launching Byron either, I wouldn’t do it myself. But I would have thought he’d win a race by now at this point of the year and very well might have if not for the stoppage earlier this year. I really hope he puts the 24 back in VL this year.
Let me ask you this: Zippadelli was great for Tony but so stuck in his ways he couldn't help Joey at all. Could it be that the most winning CC at HMS is not right for Byron?

Kurt went from very good equipment (Penske) to junk cars, moved up to SHR where only the 4 car has ever done good and now he is in decent equipment at CGR.

Anyone think he could be a threat to win it all in the #48

Let me ask you this: Zippadelli was great for Tony but so stuck in his ways he couldn't help Joey at all. Could it be that the most winning CC at HMS is not right for Byron?

I think he is, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I'm concerned that the modern Chad just isn't the same Chad that won five straight titles. I think he was probably better when he instilled more fear in people.

Kurt went from very good equipment (Penske) to junk cars, moved up to SHR where only the 4 car has ever done good and now he is in decent equipment at CGR.

I don't have any doubt that Kurt COULD win races in the 48, but I'm just not sure the ceiling is high enough to justify such a move. I guess maybe if you are looking at instant results VS the long term. Like I have said, if you SERIOUSLY think someone can come in and put the 48 in the final four at Phoenix or wherever, then you probably do it. If not, you may as well develop talent for the long haul. Personally, I don't think that team is quite ready to win too many races or go too deep in the playoffs regardless of who drives it.

They DO seem to have regressed a little. As the HMS story goes, to many unforced errors.......
Not even that, he just hasn't had speed. Chad has helped him get track position but nothing's happening on the track.

Absolutely no way in hell.

He doesn't need to go backwards. He's already proven himself as a lead lap driver who can handle the extra horsepower. CUP is where he belongs. If I owned an upper echelon race team, he'd already be in my car.

Back
Top Bottom